💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Glitter the most iconic flop of all times?

Serendipity

Is Glitter the most iconic flop of all times?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is Glitter the most iconic flop of all times?

• Yes
    • No
    • Lead the Way is a masterpiece

Featured Posts

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serendipity

I've never heard of it... :rip: Who made it?

Here

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

DiscoHeaven23

I'm just interested in why it happened. Like why all of a sudden did people not like the top artist of the 90's, its not like she was overexposed at that point. 

StrawberryBlond

It really is amazing that she picked herself up and returned to passable sales after this and even had an amazing comeback with The Emancipation of Mimi. But clearly, 10 million worldwide sales was as good as it was ever going to get and that was in 2005, before illegal downloading had become commonplace, and when love for urban music was at its peak, so she had factors that explained that comeback other than "it was just good music." If she released that album today, she'd be lucky to sell 1 million worldwide, we all know that. Just like if she'd released Elusive Chanteuse a decade ago, it would have sold much better.

Mariah has reached the lowest sales point now because she refuses to try anything new. Apart from that slight departure with Glitter (it was hardly a full on disco album, after all), she hasn't taken any risks or tried anything new in her 24 year career. Admirable that she sticks to her guns, but she's a very limited artist. If you want to sell in the current climate, you have to switch it up to keep the public interested. Her team delayed her lastest album for so long because she wasn't getting a hit. Really, what were they expecting? A 5 million selling #1? For a woman in her 40's with children who went through her sales peak years ago? If Mariah wants to keep on making the music that she wants despite the public not feeling it, she needs to realise that she can't expect success like the old days.

I'm just interested in why it happened. Like why all of a sudden did people not like the top artist of the 90's, its not like she was overexposed at that point. 

She made a disco influenced album, which was completely different from everything she had made up until that point and in 2001, disco was at an all-time low. it was considered the worst, most cringiest fad ever. It made a bit of a resurgance in the last two years and some of us have started to like it in a retro throwback way but that wasn't the case back in 2001. While urban was taking off at this time, Mariah's classy brand of it didn't match the public's taste for a more raunchy hip hop/rap style. And Glitter was her 8th album in 11 years, so yes, she was pretty overexposed. She did have a decade of uninterrupted success. It was going to come crashing down at some point, so making an album that soundtracked a terrible movie was likely going to do it.

FrankGutz

Whose era was this Glitter era?

Your avi makes me think it's Mimi, wait did she really have a mental breakdown :wtf:

yeah, that was iconic, i had that album, i actually liked it

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

Archived