Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is American radio always one step behind European radio?

gagzus

Featured Posts

Over the past few years I've noticed a trend (mainly when i started paying attention to Gaga stuff in her early career), American radio seems to always have European music trends months to years AFTER Europe has them, when Gaga debuted with Just Dance & The Fame she sparked a big shift in american radio by making Dance music in america popular again after a long period of R&B, Indie/Alt acts and Pop-Rock in the 00s... Dance has been a big subgenre of EDM on European radio for some years before The Fame happened (maybe that's why Gaga did so well in Europe with her first two albums), then when the slower more ballad type style had set into american radio with songs like Stay, Someone Like You etc... that style had been gaining some exposure in Europe for at least a year or two before this and only evolved into a true trend when 21 by Adele came out. Finally, american radio is starting to pick up on House & House influenced Pop songs this year after Europe has had this trend since 2013.

Do you think European radio leads the way to what American radio plays ultimately? I personally do but what do you guys think?

SlaeUrAnus

Yes. 

There have been plenty of singles that have caught fire in Europe, but the U.S do not catch on till about a year later.

Just look at Rather Be and Cheerleader.

In my messy era.

Yeah, I guess so! European radios might be more open for new sounds. I remember hearing Tove Lo's Out Of Mind and Habits before the successful Habits remix. I also thought Desire was the ''break through'' hit from Years & Years, but King became so much popular. Finnish radio also played Venus, DWUW and G.U.Y. even if they weren't ''hits'', they care about the music not the bling :sis: But to be honest, there are also some music that America likes and Europe doesn't care/know about. 

Yes. 

There have been plenty of singles that have caught fire in Europe, but the U.S do not catch on till about a year later.

Just look at Rather Be and Cheerleader.

Came here to post exactly this! :laughga: Rather Be and cheerleader are two perfect examples. I'd like to include Habits there as well! 

PartySick

Maybe, I don't know :shrug: 

All the artists I ever listen to or hear are American artists :shrug: 

Aside from the occasional Canadian :flutter: 

💚

AbuHassan1992

well most radio stations in the US are owned by Clearchannel or some other company, so they decide what's being played, hence less diverse music is being played here than in Europe. Then songs that are hits in Europe catch on and american stations start playing them here. They're the ones that decide which songs are hits

Europe adapts trends from the American market, but it usually is not the other way around.
So Europe has Europe only songs AND US Pop music.

AbuHassan1992

Europe adapts trends from the American market, but it usually is not the other way around.
So Europe has Europe only songs AND US Pop music.

that's only true for hip hop. The US adapts A LOT from europe. A bunch of the biggest songs from the past year aren't american

that's only true for hip hop. The US adapts A LOT from europe. A bunch of the biggest songs from the past year aren't american

this, but hip-hop was kinda shot lived here i think, Eminem was about it (which a lot of het white boys cling to claiming he's a genius and poet practically) Nicki doesn't count either since her biggest hits here are her pop ones and TPP's hits here like Anaconda & TNISY are practically pop as well.

malazam

In Latin America we still listening to Bad Romance in the radio so please, use U.S, not America :laughga:

another shot before we kiss the other side

Archived