Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Wildest Dreams sound like Without You?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

I disagree, it's thread worthy.

No negativity on this site thanks 

Kay. "No negativity on this site" when this is the nth thread created to bash Taylor tho :dies:

who will love me when the night is over

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teenagechrist

inb4 ****ed My Way Up To The Top 2.0 is coming. :green: 

But yes, it sounds like Lana, it sounds like different Lana songs. 

feeling so hot tamale

MJHolland

Kay. "No negativity on this site" when this is the nth thread created to bash Taylor tho :dies:

It's not "bashing" when there are actual striking similarities?   ":dies:"

It's not "bashing" when there are actual striking similarities?   ":dies:"

Yes, I do know that they sound similar, thanks. That's not at all what I mean and you know it but whatever makes you happy fam :love:

who will love me when the night is over

MJHolland

Yes, I do know that they sound similar, thanks. That's not at all what I mean and you know it but whatever makes you happy fam :love:

Idk what you mean since this thread wasn't created to bash her but whatever makes you happy fam :love:

StrawberryBlond

Mimicry is flattery. Taylor ripped off Lana's track and is getting a top ten hit out of it, I think that's a testament to just how good Lana's music is.

Pink once said: "I don't think imitation is the highest form of flattery. I think it's annoying."

They sound retro. 

Wildest Dreams sounds much more polished and the lyrics are excellent, unlike Lana's sloppy writing. 

Lana's writing? Sloppy? Taylor couldn't write a composition on par with Lana's best work in her wildest dreams. Lana's productions are always polished. Wildest Dreams reminds me of the same majestic production on Born To Die (the song and the entire album). The whole asthetic has been jacked from her, don't try to deny it. Taylor never made anything remotely like this before Lana came along. Naturally, as this is her first outing with this style, she won't be the best at it.

yes lana del rey invented s-xed up slow songs with a touch of nostalgia

she also developed the first polaroid camera and carved the first ever vinyl record out of her fan's bullsh*t.

I never said Lana invented it. But it is her signature style and she was the first one in years to do this style and get success with it. And she was closely followed by imitators. And these imitators didn't make songs like this before Lana was around. You do the math.

She could sue ?

Really ?

Yes, the style of WD is Lana Del Rey, but it doesn't sound like a copy of a particular song of her.

Making a song "in a style of somebody" doesn't qualify as plagiarism...

The chorus does sound like the chorus instrumental of Without You, it's not even a slight inspiration, it's the exact same. I tried singing the Without You chorus over the Wildest Dreams chorus and nothing changed. The verses instrumental is different, but that also resembles other Lana instrumentals. Even some of the lyrics are similar. "Let's get out of this town" is the first line of the song and it's also the first line of Lana's Lucky One's (also a bonus track on her debut - maybe that's why Taylor picked them to steal from, so less people would notice). It does qualify as plagiarism and it makes me mad that nothing will be done about it because Taylor's bulletproof. Gaga nearly got her career ended because of a teeny tiny little similarity to a Madonna song that the media indulged for all it was worth. So, if there's an even bigger case for plagiarism again, like it is here, damn right people should stand up and take notice. It's not fair that certain people should get away with it and others don't.

Oh of course, it's totally there. I mean, anyone denying it :shrug:

Whether it was intentional or not? I don't know, Lana and Taylor know each other, maybe Taylor was inspired by Without You w/ Lana's permission. For sure, we may never know :laughga:

The chorus is the only similar part for me, I think the verses and bridge have their own flow that's completely different from each other. :yes:

I highly doubt Lana gave her permission - she's very possessive over her work. She made a song about another artist ripping her off that was assumed to be Lorde. I don't think she'd let Taylor of all people rip one of her tracks.

The verses and bridge may be different but they are similar to other Lana tracks, as seen above.

inb4 ****ed My Way Up To The Top 2.0 is coming. :green: 

But yes, it sounds like Lana, it sounds like different Lana songs. 

Exactly what I was thinking. I listen to that song imagining it's about Taylor. I know it's not but right now, the song fits her. Especially going from "lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" (when she was country) to "lay me down tonight in my diamonds and pearls (when she's sold out and all the richer for it). Not to mention "what I do, I do best," and "mimicking me's a f*****g bore." The way she sings "I'm your favourite girl" is the same way I do my sarcastic Taylor impression.

"Hello hello" and "say you'll remember me" are musically identical. There are no stan glasses strong enough to change that. Now, is a repeated two-note riff enough to say this is copying? Note that you can't copyright chord progressions (which is why the BTW/EY thing was ridiculous but whatever).

Taylor usually sings in her upper range, so her singing in the lower range for the verses and one of the reprises of the chorus is notable. Compare with the other 1989 singles, where she sings in her mid to high range in the verses.

The imagery is rather Lana - "let's get out of this town" is also the opening line to Lucky Ones, "standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset, babe, red lips and rosy cheeks" sounds like one of Lana's laundry list lyrics of pretty things strung together. The 'bad boy' schtick is very Lana, and the 'hell' shoved in there doesn't sound very Taylor (much like the unnecessary 'damn' in "Loose lips sink ships all the damn time", it sounds like a teenager's first attempt at being edgy). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 'bad boys' are a recurring theme in Taylor's music, correct? Certainly not to the extent that the theme recurs in Lana's music.

Rhythmically, there are similarities between "I've nothing..." and "Wildest...". The chord progression here is different. The minimalistic production is more Lorde than Lana, imo. The bridges have nothing to do with each other.

So I'd say Taylor made this song after listening to that indie record that's much cooler than hers :teehee:. The old Hollywood theme for the music video and the dark hair cemented it for me.

There's one thing I'd like to add: no, Lana did not invent singing in the low register, dark hair, old Hollywood themes, bad boys, or senseless but pretty lyrics (although she did write the melody). If one of these elements was in this song, there'd be no basis for saying Taylor copied Lana. However, when all of them are together at the same time, it gets harder to say these are just two simultaneous inventions. Taylor using the director for Lana's Ride video for IKYWT, using Lana's ex-boyfriend as the co-star (to be fair, she probably didn't she that was her ex), and inserting a pointless pretentious monologue is more evidence that she's been attuned to Ms. Born To Die's work. But that's not necessarily bad. I don't think it's bad to be inspired by other modern musicians. It's normal to look to your peers.

The melody thing is suspicious, but I don't think you can sue over that two-note riff. You certainly can't sue over chord progressions or the "feel" of a song. I ain't no lawyer, but if the history of music plagiarism cases says anything, there isn't enough here to take Taylor to court.

Fiona Apple

Yes.

Not only that, but she also copied Lana's songwriting aesthetic in a distasteful manner. It's so obvious. Needless to say, that song lacks the overall impact of Without You or any other Lana song :dies: as soulless as the rest of Taylor's pop discography.

You really do hate Taylor Swift :awkney:

Jenniferella

Yes of course.

Yes it does but it's better

Off topic AND subjective as hell.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

SychosSoChic

"Hello Hello" and "Say You'll Remember ME" are the same :emma: 

But is it enough to completely say "rip off"? I guess it depends on the stan. I can smell Lana's influence on the song, but there's nothing anyone can do if one artist is influenced by another. I mean Lana could (and probably should - if only to prove a point to Taylor that she's not invincible) sue, but I doubt she'd win.

I just find it interesting that Taylor got a top 10 hit with a Lana-ish song and yet Lana herself hasn't for a while.

I'm not on either ones side her, purely because I know nothing will come of this anyway :smh: 

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

Fiona Apple

Off topic AND subjective as hell.

Subjective? :awkney: Are you dumb or something? Everything about that topic is subjective.. The thread is comparing the two songs and a lot of people are like "Without you is so much better" so I clearly have the right to express my opinion .Bye felicia

Jenniferella

Subjective? :awkney: Are you dumb or something? Everything about that topic is subjective.. The thread is comparing the two songs and a lot of people are like "Without you is so much better" so I clearly have the right to express my opinion .Bye felicia

"I do this because they do this too", who is dumb here really ? I might have the answer.

Also, this thread isn't subjective, it asks if those two songs are similar but isn't talking about quality. Try again maybe ?

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Archived