💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Artists Who Don't Write Their Stuff Are Not Really Artists

Angel Down

Featured Posts

teenagechrist

Well... It depends. If you don't write your own songs and you only sing, you are not an artist because you are not creating anything, you are a singer. If you don't write your own songs, but you sing, you dance, you perform, and you create a concept, then you are an artist too, because you are creating and you are expressing your vision. 

feeling so hot tamale

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiona Apple

Yea singing is art, but when you don't express what you think via your voice, that's not YOUR art. 

The way that you express a story makes you an artist too.. As you know I think that songwriting is pretty much the most important thing tho

MonsterMum

singing is a talent and saying it doesnt matter IF  you dont have writing talent as well is ignorant 

Singing is an art but then you're a singer rather then an artist. I think that's the distinction he's trying to get across.

Angel Down

have you ever listened to someone covering a song, and giving it a totally new feel and maybe even meaning? 

Whichever the meaning is, will always come out of the lyrics the original songwriter wrote. So it's all about the lyrics concerning the emotion.

Swan Heart

It depends, I guess.. Amazing singers are artists. They make you feel and live the song. Take Tony for example, he doesn't write his own songs but saying that he's not a real artist is ridiculous.

And then there are some people that don't write their stuff, nor they sing that good. I can't seriously see them as artists

It's a touchy topic overall. 

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Huge singers :awkney:

:duck:

Just because they're two art forms that can be organically merged does not mean that they are not art when separated. 

Angel Down

Singing is an art but then you're a singer rather then an artist. I think that's the distinction he's trying to get across.

Finally... This is exactly what I want to get across...

MonsterMum

It depends, I guess.. Amazing singers are artists. They make you feel and live the song. Take Tony for example, he doesn't write his own songs but saying that he's not a real artist is ridiculous.

And then there are some people that don't write their stuff, nor they sing that good. I can't really seriously consider them artists.

It's a touchy topic. 

He's an artist cause he's also creates paintings (so his original work) and compositions, all by himself which gives him the artist title.

Harry

I disagree. If you write your own songs then it's obviously your vision, but singing is definitely an art form, executed better and more artistically by some than others. Just because someone didn't write a song, it doesn't mean they don't have a personal connection to it, in the same way that you might hear a song and relate to it and have an emotional response. It's all about the reinterpretation of the words/melody. The fact that so many legendary artists didn't write their songs that went onto become classics is a valid point. Whitney Houston reimagining a song written by Dolly Parton went onto become an all time classic, and it's because of how she sung it. She was a great artist.

More often than not, actors don't write the scripts for the roles they play, and dancers don't always choreograph. They're still artists though.

MonsterMum

Finally... This is exactly what I want to get across...

Don't worry I get you boo. It's the biggest reason why I just wave off any singer that claims their record was sooo personal when they are just reciting someone elses words (Yes side eyeing Katy Perry here). Like...you are summing up someone elses life? Sure you can relate to it so the listener can make a connection to it but then it's just a connection the listener makes not the one that is singing it cause the one singing it could be just as well someone else.

Alien Tulip

He's an artist cause he's also creates paintings (so his original work) and compositions, all by himself which gives him the artist title.

But you're contradicting yourself. You're basically saying if tony bennett wasn't a painter then he wouldn't be an artist and that's not true because he performs and performing is a form of art. 

KyliesChild

Singing is an art. You will have to do certain techniques and you have to maintain control and to show your emotion when singing. That is a hard task. You will have to do certain things to your voice and hit notes that are in your range. Although it isn't in your words, you can still narrate a story and make someone feel something. The way you express your emotions, sing in a proper manner (sometimes even vice-versa) narrate, SHOW emotions, separates you from a singer to an artist.

MonsterMum

But you're contradicting yourself. You're basically saying if tony bennett wasn't a painter then he wouldn't be an artist and that's not true because he performs and performing is a form of art. 

No it's not just the painting, he also is engaged with musical compositions, besides, I think Jazz is a bit different from pop where you improvise basically 3/4 of a song.

DemeLarell

"Artistry" has a really big grey area. I personally feel like you can still showcase your artistry with out writing your own music. I feel like gaga is a great example. Anyone can sing jazz but it takes true craftsmanship to express the songs the way she did. Same with her oscars performance. The artistry is in the vision not in the songwriting. Songwriting is just one of many vessels for expressing your vision musically. 

Phoenix

I preffer to call those who just record their voice over someone else's lyrics singers. 

💎

Archived