opinion

Taylor Swift doesn't feel Iconic like Gaga

Quark

Featured Posts

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
freebit

Taylor's an unexciting artist IMO. This is not a terrible thing exactly, she has great moments in her songwriting, but there's no rush of excitement around her that one gets from a huge artist that's shaking things up (like I initially felt with Britney, Gaga, Kanye, etc). And yet she doesn't have that awe-inspiring regalness that someone like Beyonce has either.

I feel like she's more akin to someone like Sheryl Crow or Kelly Clarkson. 

Riot Poof

I agree. I don't think that's a bad thing tho. Many musicians outside of the pop world are known primarily for their music rather than "iconic moments."

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Katsuki Bakugo

Can you list me anything iconic that she has done?

Took That Gyllendeek!

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Bette Davis

She's commercial and has mass appeal. She's not innovative, daring or iconic. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't appeal to me personally.

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

aaronyoji

honestly i dont think anyone here really understands what iconic means anymore. that definition has become so warped and we've sort of micro-focused in on pop culture and blown things up to make ourselves feel like what we witness now is something amazing when really its not. 

She's a hit-making machine. Originality isn't on her list though. People can be iconic in ways, not just like how Gaga does it.

00026 † 10000

There's nothing innovative about her image or music whatsoever. She's a genius in mass marketing herself to the public, and her music isn't exactly difficult to sell considering her natural songwriting talent combined with the recruitment of music industry hit maker bigwigs. Her music contains absolutely no risk factors, with her artistic controversy only going as far as expressing petty jabs towards her contemporaries. You can't take anything from 1989 or Red and say that those tracks are something only Taylor Swift could write - in fact, there is nothing about her life that is particularly extraordinary or that could be attributed to her exclusively. When you hear a standard Lady Gaga track, you know for damn sure it's Lady Gaga. When somebody wears an odd outfit, the first person anyone compares it to is Lady Gaga. Memes from the public about Gaga center primarily around her artistic oddity, her meat dress, her vessel, etc. Taylor Swift's major career iconographies include a sympathy parade surrounding the VMA's Kanye incident, her relentless romantic insatiability and how it translates to her music all the time, and the perpetual red lipstick look. Rather than artistic intention, the first one was an incident she didn't perpetrate, the second has much to do with her style of writing having little variety, and the third is just something she likes and stuck with - and I give /that/ to her. She somehow managed to make red lipstick a "Taylor" staple in our modern times when so many women throughout history have worn it and popularized it. That, however, isn't enough to build visual iconography. Unless her covering up her naval is intended to be the prime basis of her attempted legend status.

Taylor doesn't have the blunt s-x appeal Britney had, or her dancing skills. All Taylor really does on stage is walk around with her impressive flamingo legs and high heels. Her performances are not always innovative, they do not invoke thought, it is simply her trying to find new ways to walk around a set that was built for her while she maneuvers in front of her dancers. Her voice is distinctive to an extent, but not entirely as you could likely mistake it for another artist's. She doesn't have any sort of message to her music past "I'm Taylor, these are my exes, burn in hell." and so there are no causes such as LGBT rights that she can advocate for or be seen as the definitive modern face of. She's not fighting for anybody or anything, and that's part of why she's successful - she has little to no open social values, so she can't piss anyone off that way. The closest artist I could compare her to is Madonna - and even she had iconic videos, generationally influential fashion, great dancing skills, multiple legendary looks, complex stage performances, a message and a prevalent element of risk in her music. They may be similar in that they have longevity (we'll see for Taylor), changed up their sound, both have been extremely famous, are decent vocalists and were the marketable pop darlings of their time. Taylor can thrive on her technical, well packaged artistry for as long as it takes to milk that supply, and she certainly has the potential to be more than a cliff note in music history - but when it's all said and done, what can we really look back on except some impressive album sales and the hay day of a gift wrapped pop princess? Will there be any iconic performances or music videos to link to? Any songs that stand the test of time? Any nuances of her creativity that are exclusive to her we could discuss? No, I don't think so.

Take a marginally good amount of talent and add just the right combination of marketing components and there's Taylor Swift. Legendary only in theory unless she proves otherwise with future releases. I have confidence in her to do something truly memorable for the next album/era, but for now, her legacy is only as impressive as the timespan of her relevancy.

XGirlfriend

Part of why Taylor is running the game atm is because the delusional GP probably thinks she's the only artist who's not a part of the illuminati or any other cult

lets see how long her good-girl image lasts.. :awkney:

LeoFameMonster

She hit the nail on the head, Taylor won't be remembered 20 years from now and won't go down in history after she passes. Gaga however will always live on in books, music and new artists to come long after Gaga dies and especially 20 years from now.

Taylor is alright in my books since she stans for Gaga. However she will never make movements in time that will allow her to be remembered the way Gaga has impacted society and culture. And believe me 20 years from now you can play Just dance, Bad Romance, Poker face, Born this way and these songs will impact people. Bad Blood, Black space, etc will not stand the test of time.

Taylor swift is mister right now Gaga is mister right

Michael, Madonna, Whitney and Lady Gaga (even her name makes you interested in who she is)

ChicaSkas

Honestly, I saw her for the first time last night and I have to say she is an absolutely incredible performer. I haven't felt that moved in so many ways since Gaga.

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

Honestly, I saw her for the first time last night and I have to say she is an absolutely incredible performer. I haven't felt that moved in so many ways since Gaga.

I haven't seen her live, but based on some performances I have seen on tv, I don't think she is a great performer. Good to know that you enjoyed her concert though.

ChicaSkas

I haven't seen her live, but based on some performances I have seen on tv, I don't think she is a great performer. Good to know that you enjoyed her concert though.

I booted the whole thing :) 

The speeches were just as epic as Gaga at her best. I think they equally slay.

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

monsterdreams

I agree, she's popular but I feel she doesn't do anything outright iconic. She just puts out music and lots of people buy it

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

Archived