Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

VH1: Teenage Dream is the most important pop album of the past 10 years

Kacey Elizabeth

Featured Posts

Kacey Elizabeth

Pink - Raise Your Glass and Perfect - 2010, Kesha - We R Who We R and Gaga - Born This Way - 2011. It kinda was. 

P!nk's Perfect was released after Firework, and so was Born This Way. Really? We R Who We R? That song was just a instant hit and it was forgotten by a little while after it dropped off the charts. It wasn't even known for being an empowering song. You tried.

Your Candy Perfume Girl

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sister

We shall see in another ten years. I like the song Teenage Dream, but it is whatever. The Fame Monster is more important, it has Bad Romance on it.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

CoolTrainerTerry

P!nk's Perfect was released after Firework, and so was Born This Way. Really? We R Who We R? That song was just a instant hit and it was forgotten by a little while after it dropped off the charts. It wasn't even known for being an empowering song. You tried.

And Gaga was riding the Born This Way train long before the song actually was released. In fact, she announced the album almost a month to the day BEFORE Firework was ever released. THAT'S when your sudden influx of empowerment began. Like you said, you did try, though.

migamiga

The only mistake that this article makes is that it says that it was Michael Jackson's Thriller to have 5 #1 singles, but it was Bad. 

already loses all validity :laughga:

JeffSwift

Please make me a promise... Take the entire day tomorrow and spend it out in the sun. Don't come online until the sun comes down. I swear, once you let the light in, you really won't be such an ignorant hater. 

TD is an outstanding pop album, no doubt. I mean #1 after #1 hit single. Absolutely phenomenal.

I don't think it was an "important" album by any standards though. Like others have already said, the article seems to support its opinion that it was an important album because.... It launched successful singles. I don't think that's enough.

"It completely influenced the wave of plastic robo-dance fare that soon followed" That's not true though? Obviously Madonna, Britney (and outside of the U.S Kylie) where helping pioneer the dance-pop trend we entered into but Lady Gaga/BEP/David Guetta really changed the face of US radio in 2008/2009 with "plastic" dance pop music.

It seems insulting to claim that enlisting "a team of top-notch hitmakers—including the omnipresent Max Martin and Dr. Luke" helped inspire the creation of such albums as "Britney Spears’ Femme Fatale (2011), anyone?" when Britney had been working with Max Martin since the 1990's. Max Martin scored his first #1 single with Britney. Britney was inspired to work with a long-time collaborator because of Katy Perry?? Err no. Britney had also already enlisted Dr. Luke for Circus in 2008.

Artists like Britney worked with these producers far longer than Katy and her move towards a dance-pop sound had already been something she had been experimenting with for a while. If you think that Britney's electronic dance sound was inspired by anything, it would be the sound popularized 2008/2009 from the artists I previously mentioned.

I mean 100% TD was a fantastic pop album and she deserves mad props for it, but it didn't push trends anywhere. It just capitalised on the dance/pop trend that was near it's peak around that time.

I don't see Teenage Dream as much of a risk that pioneered a new sound and approach, it was a cleverly crafted and marketed pop album and it served it's purpose extremely well in that sense.

I'd add though, that if the title was "Best Pop album of the past 10 years" and it was top of the list over Gaga and other artists, fair play.

Regardless of personal taste, TD is unarguably a f**cking fantastic pop album. The multiple number one singles and the brilliant marketing and appeal makes it undeniable that it is POP brilliance in the purist sense of the word. It's absolute, pure pop and it's absolutely incredible through that lense. The main goal of the album seemed to be commercial success and it achieved that to an incredible degree.

It's sugary, bubble-gum pop at its best. It's not groundbreaking or super serious, but it doesn't pretend to be. It's light-hearted, fun and well-crafted.

My only gripe is the "most important pop album" title. I think that's undeserved. A title like that should be reserved for an album that breaks away from normal pop conventions and steers the commercial world into a different direction. I don't think TD breaks away from pop conventions and I don't think it steered pop music into any particularly new direction.

vertigostick

Umm, Bonnie McKee received a plaque in 2013 which said that Teenage Dream/Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection had sold 11 million copies WW.

You're talking certifications incl. so called "adjusted sales" (Track Equivalent Albums+Stream Equivalent Albums), those numbers record companies use for their communication.

If we're going to go on that territory, TF/TFM is at 20 million already.

Let's also mention that TD just reached the 3 million mark in the US, while TF/TFM already sold over 4.6 million in that country.

So, it's clear which of these two album campaigns had the biggest commercial impact.

You tried. :)

SlaeUrAnus

Fair enough about We R Who We R, but Perfect was released only two weeks after Firework. 

Gaga announced Born This Way back in September before Firework was even released. If anything, Gaga created that train.

Like you said, you tried. 

In my messy era.

Kacey Elizabeth

And Gaga was riding the Born This Way train long before the song actually was released. In fact, she announced the album almost a month to the day BEFORE Firework was ever released. THAT'S when your sudden influx of empowerment began. Like you said, you did try, though.

Firework was already written and recorded in 2009. Try again. 

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Kacey Elizabeth

You're talking certifications incl. so called "adjusted sales" (Track Equivalent Albums+Stream Equivalent Albums), those numbers record companies use for their communication.

If we're going to go on that territory, TF/TFM is at 20 million already.

Let's also mention that TD just reached the 3 million mark in the US, while TF/TFM already sold over 4.6 million in that country.

So, it's clear which of these two album campaigns had the biggest commercial impact.

You tried. :)

You also forgot to mention that TF/TFM both had more time to sell that much, as they were already released before TD/TDTCC. Plus, I don't think that TD/TDTCC's actual sales have a big difference with their shipments.

Your Candy Perfume Girl

vertigostick

You also forgot to mention that TF/TFM both had more time to sell that much, as they were already released before TD/TDTCC. Plus, I don't think that TD/TDTCC's actual sales have a big difference with their shipments.

No matter how you try to spin it, it is simply not true that TD was a commercially "more successful" album than TFM when you look at the hard facts, the SALES. :)

Cody Draco

Some albums get trashed by critics when they're first released, but years later, that album starts to get praise, maybe because it stood the test of time and had enormous success and impact. Some critics even raise up the scores that they gave to that album on Megacritic. The same thing can be vice versa. 

As for the bolded part, you can deny it all you want. 

Agreed! A great example of this would be Weezer's Pinkerton. :party:

"Pinkerton debuted at number 19 on the US Billboard 200 and fell short of sales expectations after the success of Weezer's self-titled 1994 debut. It initially received negative reviews, but went on to achieve cult status and wide acclaim years later; the 2010 "Deluxe Edition" reissue holds a perfect score on aggregate review website Metacritic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinkerton_(album)

Cody Draco

TD's grammy awards show how important and iconic it is. :teehee: 

So according to your line of logic Sam Smith's In The Lonely Hour is important and iconic just because of some Grammys. Tragic. :lmao:

Archived