Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
musician

Katy Perry

DMTT

What is Katy's best album?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is Katy's best album?

Featured Posts

i dont know.. shes not that talented.. but then again neither is rihanna or beyonce and they have lots. :shrug:

did i read correctly? you called beyonce not that talented?

• Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people say it's because her music isn't "quality", but I mean... Rihanna has Grammys, so...

I think she is just overshadowed by a massive hit every year. Who knows. Grammys are an honor, but really don't mean much. Cher, for example, has one Grammy and she won it 35 years into her career. She's one of the most successful singers of all time. In the end, your awards don't define your legacy. :shrug:

Psychedelic

too many producers + songrwiters for mediocre products + she have not a particular talent

One Of The Boys (not grammy-worthy tho) disgrees with the first part of your opinion. While her acoustic sets disagree with the second part, yet that part is just your opinion so I'm not going into further disccusion.

But really One Of The Boys has less song-writing credits that Gaga has ever had!

Most of her "fans" are jumping off the sinking ship to other fanbases as we speak. 

if not having a grammy was a reason not to stan for katy they would have left the previous 12 times

Some people say it's because her music isn't "quality", but I mean... Rihanna has Grammys, so...

I think she is just overshadowed by a massive hit every year. Who knows. Grammys are an honor, but really don't mean much. Cher, for example, has one Grammy and she won it 35 years into her career. She's one of the most successful singers of all time. In the end, your awards don't define your legacy. :shrug:

In Kety's case, nothing will.

Prismatic

She's always nominated during the wrong time. Whenever she's going to win, there always another act who steals her light tbh. Teenage Dream could've snatched a few Grammys, but that was Gaga was in her prime and many more acts. 

I Only Stan For Risk Takers

The artist who have beaten Katy out in the categories she was submitted in:

Adele (2 years)

Beyoncé

Gaga

Lorde

All females. Sam is the only male artist who won in the categories Katy was nominated for, and that was for his album, not his song Stay With Me.

In what world is Sam Smith more "commercial" than Katy Perry? Come on, now.

Notice the the lack of pure pop or dance pop winning.

Adele is a soul singer, Beyonce R&B, Sam Smith does slow ballads, Lorde indietronica that sometimes is played on alternative rock radio. Harder to win with a catchy poppy song, even if the lyrics are just as clever.

Grammys are not about quality, they're about popularity. If they were about quality, the nominees in almost every category would be completely different, Katy wouldn't have a single nomination, Sir Mix-a-Lot wouldn't have one Grammy, and artists like Led Zeppelin and Björk would have a ton. Beck (who I think truly deserved it) got it because he is very respected in the music industry(like Pharrell); and he had the only "rock" album among the nominees. Katy hasn't won a grammy yet because she is not very respected as an artist/musician.

and artists like Led Zeppelin and Björk would have a ton.

Led Zep got snubbed all through their career, and weren't critical favourites.

Again, voter preference for slower ballady music over hard rock and uptempo pop.

One Of The Boys (not grammy-worthy tho) disgrees with the first part of your opinion. While her acoustic sets disagree with the second part, yet that part is just your opinion so I'm not going into further disccusion.

But really One Of The Boys has less song-writing credits that Gaga has ever had!

i already said that she is a mediocre singer and this is not a particular talent but a common one about one of the boys You are right and i like cause it feels more personal and less generic but talking about her last two albums this is it

Led Zep got snubbed all through their career, and weren't critical favourites.

Again, voter preference for slower ballady music over hard rock and uptempo pop.

That is also true. Grammy voters are very biased towards certain genres, and are very out of touch with the current music landscape.

Whispering

Gaga's songs don't have professional songwriters and songwriting teams. That's what the majority of Katy's songs have...that's the difference.

If you look at the writing credits on even One of the Boys, there are accomplished songwriters listed on the majority of those songs...people who write songs for other artists for a living. They are lyricists, not simply producers or sound engineers of some sort. Katy has had several songwriters that have been inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame on her albums. (Including One of the Boys)

Vernier

There's always been much stronger songs/albums than hers in the categories she was nominated

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Whispering

Notice the the lack of pure pop or dance pop winning.

Adele is a soul singer, Beyonce R&B, Sam Smith does slow ballads, Lorde indietronica that sometimes is played on alternative rock radio. Harder to win with a catchy poppy song, even if the lyrics are just as clever.

Single Ladies isn't pure pop, because of cross over (which most of Katy's songs have done as well), but it was as Pop as any other song.

Bad Romance, I Gotta Feeling, Hey Soul Sister, Since You've Been Gone, Breakaway, We Are Young, Get Lucky, Happy

Kelly Clarkson with Stronger

Single Ladies isn't pure pop, because of cross over (which most of Katy's songs have done as well), but it was as Pop as any other song.

Bad Romance, I Gotta Feeling, Hey Soul Sister, We Are Young, Get Lucky, Happy, Kelly Clarkson with Stronger

I'll grant you only the first two and K Clarkson.

Fun is indie rock crossover. Get Lucky is a respected DJ collab with a black R&B artist. Happy - from an urban contemporary Grammy winning album. Single Ladies was sent to urban radio first and Beyonce is R&B not pure pop.

There is a sense is which any song that becomes super-popular is pop, and it of course has more votes from its home genre than a pure pop song. (Kinda same issue as Macklemore who appealed to pop fans winning rap category, except there are no pop purists to defend Katy and Gaga like the rap purists.)

• Admin locked this topic

Archived