Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Germaine Greer condemns Elton John for the name on the birth certificates

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Serendipity

The activist and writer is troubled that David Furnish, the pop star's husband, is listed as 'mother' on the children's birth records

Writer Germaine Greer is troubled that David Furnish, Elton John's husband, is listed as 'mother' on the birth certificates of their two sons.

As reported by the Daily Mail, the author of The Female Eunuch, was speaking at the Hay Festival, in Wales, yesterday (23 May).

'Sometimes I think that really the problem is the concept of motherhood, which we can't give any real structure to,' Greer began, according to the Daily Mail.

'Sir Elton John and his "wife" David Furnish have entered on the birth certificate of their two sons that David Furnish is the mother,' she added. 'I'm sorry. That will give you an idea of how the concept of motherhood has emptied out. It's gone. It's been deconstructed.'

She continued by criticizing the method in which the John and Furnish children were conceived.

The two sons, Zachary and Elijah, were born via the same surrogate mother. Both have the same nameless egg donor.

'We now have a "genetic" mother, who supplies eggs,' the author explained. 'It depends entirely on where she is if she is going to be allowed to know what happens to the eggs. And women tend to care.

'An egg is not a sperm, we do not produce 400 million of them in one go. One miserable little egg pops every month.'

This is past March, the singer was involved in a public spat with fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana after they described IVF babies as 'synthetic children.'

'How dare you refer to my beautiful children as "synthetic",' John wrote on Instagram in mid-March.

'And shame on you for wagging your judgmental little fingers at IVF - a miracle that has allowed legions of loving people, both straight and gay, to fulfill their dream of having children.'

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/germaine-greer-condemns-elton-john-name-birth-certificates-his-sons240515#sthash.UWXjoHcF.dpuf

Poor Elton and David, they don't need to deal with this mess

I hope Gaga does something about this

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

codymonster

Why should anyone care about whether he wants to be called "father" or "mother" :toofunny: Like, how the hell does this affect anyone? :sweat: 

mucinex

i agree that it's messed up society but they didn't have to directly come for elton, because it's a personal thing and greer obviously only used his name to get any response out of anyone. it's wrong to use his fame as the basis for getting anyone to listen.

Haroon

Unless he identifies as female I don't understand how he can be called a mother :duck: 

Archived