💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

TIME: ‘Bad Blood’ Music Video Proves Taylor Swift’s Power of Reinvention

Pop

Featured Posts

After years of playing herself, Swift is finally playing characters onscreen. Watch out, rivals

Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” music video, which premiered last night during the Billboard Music Awards, made news for its massive cast, including Swift pals ranging from Lena Dunham to Mariska Hargitay. But the video was not, really, an ensemble piece; it was all about Swift and, in particular, her newfound ability to reinvent herself. While it is not Swift’s best music video, it is the first that indicates Swift may be able to reinvent herself at the rapid pace contemporary pop demands.

During her first four album cycles, Swift was promoted as a country artist, and her videos were appropriately lo-fi. They also all advanced the same idea of Swift, as a slightly goofy but very sweet girl; from “You Belong With Me” to “22,” she always seemed to be playing herself in her clips. This represented a meaningful difference from practically every other artist at Swift’s level of popularity. Lady Gaga and Rihanna, in their own ways, redefined their respective images with each elaborately staged clip, while Beyoncé made a whole album of videos in which she changed her look and her whole mien every four minutes or so. Katy Perry, the putative subject of “Bad Blood,” has played an alien, an Egyptian queen, and a 1980s teenager in various of her videos.

It’s only recently, with her declared shift from country music to pop, that Swift has joined in the game that every one of her contemporaries is playing. And given her acuity at all aspects of the music industry, it’s no surprise that she’s winning it. Last autumn’s big-budget, high-concept “Blank Space” video, in which Swift played a Gone Girl version of herself as an alluring psychopath, allowed Swift to demonstrate both a sense of humor about herself and a wardrobe even more elaborately glamorous than what she wears on red carpets. And in “Bad Blood,” Swift plays a character in a more literal sense, costumed like an assassin and performing elaborate stunts. (She’d previously done little more physically taxing, in her videos, than pretend she’s a bad dancer.) Swift has gone from putting herself forward in her videos to using them as a tool to explore various sides of her personality, and create others.

There’s absolutely nothing in the playground-chant-y “Bad Blood” that lends itself particularly well to a Sin City homage, which is the ultimate proof Swift knows what she’s doing. The most successful modern music video artist, Madonna, tended to pair visual aesthetics with entirely unrelated songs, giving the viewer a whole new thing to talk about. (Her entire Music period, when she was performing electronica music, saw her dressing as a cowgirl for no reason but kicky fun.) Swift, having set her public image with four albums’ worth of earnest clips, has earned the opportunity to do the same sort of toggling through characters onscreen. In fact, getting good at crafting compelling, fun music videos people would want to watch was the last thing she needed to do in order to become 2015’s all-around-perfect pop star. Just about the only thing in the outlandish sci-fi “Bad Blood” video universe that’s true in ours is that Swift is a force to be reckoned with. After training and bettering herself, she’s coming to dominate her rivals.

http://time.com/3882487/taylor-swift-bad-blood-video-reinvention/

:applause:

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HANZ

lies newyork8.gif

she is one of those artists that is always the same, beyonce teas bey.gif

even katy perry and rihanna have evolved more than her

is there isgnificant difference between the taylor that we had during Fearless, Speak now, Red and 1989?

xtina23.gif

to me she is still the same drake2.gif

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Dangerous Man

Wow,THE VIDEO IS NOT EVEN THAT EVENTFUL, the media is really kissing her ass. Well, she betta enjoy the media praise, cos she's going to be eaten when she starts to flop.

tumblr_nob61gAsko1svi3flo1_400.gif

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

CannaeDrive

The over-hype is real, watch for the delusional overrating.

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

Spock

The praise just won't stop

tumblr_nl39mfBf4I1qfoj4do1_400.gif

who will love me when the night is over

Serendipity

lies she is one of those artists that is always the same, beyonce teas bey.gif

is there isgnificant difference between the taylor that we had during Fearless, Speak now, Red and 1989?

xtina23.gif

:tea::tea::tea:

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

lies she is one of those artists that is always the same, beyonce teas bey.gif

xtina23.gif

​That's exactly what this article is about? 

With this video she proved she can play characters well, which is one of the few things she previously missed on her bucketlist. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

Stephen

So this article basically says now she's doing what every other pop star is doing? great :emma:

Serendipity

Wow,THE VIDEO IS NOT EVEN THAT EVENTFUL, the media is really kissing her ass. Well, she betta enjoy the media praise, cos she's going to be eaten when she starts to flop.

tumblr_nob61gAsko1svi3flo1_400.gif

:neyde::tea:True:tea::neyde:

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

SlaeUrAnus

All of you haters step to the left.

This video is amazing. Queen Tay, Tay going to slae again :whitney: 

giphy.gif

In my messy era.

Spock

lies she is one of those artists that is always the same, beyonce teas

to me she is still the same

​Yeah, she used to wear cowboy boots and sun-dresses, then corsets, then princess gowns, then grown up clothes and then what she's wearing now. Also her music, if you would take the time to listen to one of her songs from her debut and then compare it to 1989 you would know that her sound changed

who will love me when the night is over

Dangerous Man

All of you haters step to the left.

This video is amazing. Queen Tay, Tay going to slae again :whitney: 

giphy.gif

I'm glad she slaed ur anus. :neyde:

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Archived