Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a difference between:

making fun of a race by adopting and disrespecting their culture

and

adopting a specific genre or fashion associated to that race because of one's preference

Alcina Dimitrescu

Everyone 'appropriates' everyone else's culture. That's kinda how this whole culture thing works. Cringeworthy.

​this, that's how culture always worked and it's not an unilateral process :proud:

Battle 4 Ur Life

Regardless if it's black, asian, indian or native...this Culture Appropriation discourse is the biggest bulls* trend of the moment. I'm so sick of it...It's an ocean of ignorance and butthurtness...

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Black people own watermelon?

this little girl can shut her mouth :smh:

im so tired of this culture appropriation nonsense it's so played out

PaperIz

Cultural Appropriation is such a touchy topic. I don't believe half of the things mentioned even really count. Once you start telling people, "You can't do this because of your skin color." That is a problem for me, no matter who it is. Especially if it's in a way that isn't harmful or hateful.

No Angel

Oh look, another thread of people doing more talking than actual listening when it comes to race and actually missing the point of what this young girl is saying. 

StrawberryBlond

I don't think you are really getting the point of what makes it appropriation. People who recognize cultural appropriation exists are not saying that every single race needs to have their own culture and remain "segregated", but its definitely a problem when a majority group uses the culture of a minority group in a way that is mocking, or seen as better by society, or turned into a negative stereotype against such people. Often times this leads to people of certain races not being able to actually express their own culture without repercussions, where as white people or other majority people ( :green: ) can. This is why people like Azealia Banks claim that black people are being "robbed" of their culture. Its really not as harmless as "oh its just music"or "oh its just a hair style" or "oh its just a stereotype" (this one is just problematic :sweep: ) There are ways to healthily appreciate and contribute to a culture without taking it away from the group that it originated from.

Lets say, Macklemore for example. He is a white male rapper who perfectly understands the concept of privilege and is actually really good about acknowledging it. He is using rap and hip-hop culture, but hes not doing it by trying to be black. He isn't making a mockery of the trade (at least imo). The only controversial part is that some see him as better because he has turned a "black" thing into a white one. (though lets be real, the catchy part of Thrift Shop definitely doesn't feature him :laughga: 

Using an example of when its problematic, lets talk about Black hair. Certain "black" hair styles have significant historical context and deep meaning to black people, especially black women. These hair styles are often looked down upon by society. Sometimes black women's hair is "inappropriate for the work place" and they are often denied jobs simply for letting their hair grow naturally. White people who use these hair styles do not face such discrimination on a daily basis, they have turned a person's history into a fashion trend, which is offensive and dismissive to the people who actually have to deal with the repercussions o "black hair".

Intersectionally (scary word I know :laughga: ) Lets also say that white people who dress black or appear black are generally seen as more "thuggish", and lesser. What does this message say about society? White people want to pick apart certain traits of what it means to be "black" and use them, but everything else is unacceptable. Lets be clear, those people still benefit from "white privilege", but similar to how feminine men (of any s-xuality) can be persecuted because they resemble women and are being something "not true to themselves" ( :awkney: ) or emasculating themselves. Are we setting the same standards for white people who try to be black? Are we shaming them because they are simply "not being true to themselves" (w.e the heck that means :lmao: ) or because they are impersonating a minority group that is still controversial. Racism and Sexism exist and prevalent in our society, so its important to note that people are still persecuted against for trying to be on that level.

Then you have things like Katy Perry's TIHWD music video which is full of a bunch of stereotypical things deemed "harmless" by society like watermelon. Society both condemns those who act "black", but mocks and makes caricatures of black culture simultaneously.

​I totally get what's being said. I just don't necessarily agree with it. Like I said, if it's a clear incidence of stereotyping or racism, cultural appropriation is bad. But how is simply enjoying elements of another culture bad? Notice how it's only criticised when it's white people doing it? That's what bugs me the most. Any race can copy elements of any other race without suffering s**t for it unless they're white. When Azealia Banks was talking about people stealing black culture, I found it pretty ironic that she has a song on her album where she partly sings in Spanish. It's no use defending her by saying that she grew up in a predominantly Hispanic neighbourhood and knew some of the language. If a white, non-Hispanic did this, they would be criticised for trying to exploit the Hispanic community to get them to buy their album. The message is clear: white people cannot step outside their own culture. And that's BS.

I think also that we want to see racism where it doesn't necessarily exist. The black hair thing, for instance. I know what you mean about natural black hair being seen as "inappropriate" for the work place, but so are lots of different hair styles of any race. I even questioned if my almost waist-length, wavy, voluminous hair worn loose was appropriate for a job interview and if I should sweep it into a bun. Similarly, most women wouldn't regard pigtails or a mohican to be appropriate for the workplace either. The idea of black hair being the only inappropriate style is a bit of a fabrication likely thought up by black people themselves. I've never heard a white person say that blacks should relax their hair to be taken seriously, yet blacks do this out of their own accord.

And dressing "thuggish" or "black" when you're male generally means wearing your hood up. That's a naturally threatening form of dress to a lot of people because your features are obscured and in Western society, we like to see a full profile to feel comfortable. Which is why there's strong opposition to the burqa. Boys from my area who dress "thuggish" are generally seen as threatening not because the outfit reminds them of black people but because it is genuinely the way that a section of troublemakers who we call "neds" dress in my country. And these people we label as troublemakers are 98% white. The outfit is not connected to race in our eyes.

These are the things you have to think about. Look at them in a different light. We're too quick to call out racism nowadays.

​Agreed completely, but how do you connect THAT to celebrities in a music video?

I still don't see any connection between seeing opportunities for trends (and let's not pretend white celebrities only get their ideas for them in the black community or something) and taking them to stand out from the crowd and "deliberately ignoring the unfortunate realities in the past".

I honestly don't think most celebrities mean genuine disrespect to an entire culture when they choose to wear/do something that they think could put them in the spotlight. If artists don't mean disrespect, then is it still worthy of serious criticism? That just sounds petty to me.

​Music videos, like any other recorded material aimed to sell, are being distributed commercially. And once they're being up for commercial consumption, they're obviously making a profit out of it, and not just financial gain per se but with today's inclusion of streaming into the record popularity charts and record certification programs led by the introduction of the stream equivalent sales, we can say that music videos are being used to advance the songs and the recording artists behind them into these record popularity standards.

To put it simply, they're being used for profit and at the same time recognition for excellence. And no matter how small or huge a part of one's culture has been used in these music videos, they're still a part of its content and therefore could be argued that they did contribute, in some way, to whatever reception it may have gotten and continue to get.

And again, I don't support absolute exclusion for the sake of exclusion (and I do understand and agree that not all / most celebrities mean genuine disrespect, like in the case of everyone). What I can empathise with those who share Stenberg's views is the presence of unfair treatment and reaction between the celebrities involved with the cultural appropriation and the ones who do belong and have lived with the originating culture their entire life. So I believe the least one could give to those who felt and are still feeling oppressed and discriminated due to their culture via fashion or whatever it may be is courtesy, sensitivity, or respect.

Yes, celebrities (or anyone of us for that matter) are free to follow their (/our) preference. If one likes a specific type of music, fashion, culture, etc., there's no problem with that -  as long as respect for the ones who originated them is observed. And how do we observe respect? By researching about its origin to ensure that no one would be offended of what we do or wear or whatever. If not, then at least show support to them once they do need one. I think any kind of support would be welcome, well not by everyone within the community (like all cases) but at least by some which I believe is more than enough already. 

And if there's any more confusion, I'm not saying that 'yeah, cultural appropriation exists, let's condemn those who do among insensitive / ignorant celebs", but rather what I'd want to convey with my earlier post and this one is that what I think bothers some regarding cultural appropriation is the lack of consideration or respect, not the actions of borrowing/being inspired by/liking the culture.

AM98GJ

I legit don't understand her..... Like idk why people from other groups can't have hair styles that are stereotypically part of another culture, or dance moves for that matter.....there's no rudeness so I don't get it....:awkney:

blacklistedd

I don't think the discussion on race is equal. Its always a black or white issue.

Archived