💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

Hunger Games star Amandla Stenberg is calling out several of today's biggest pop stars. 

The 16-year-old actress, who played Rue in the first installment of the popular film franchise, recorded a video for her high school history class in which she criticizes white celebrities and singers for borrowing from black culture to make money. The video, entitled "Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows," was posted to her Tumblr page several months ago but has recently gone viral. 

"[In the 2010s,] pop stars and icons adopted black culture as a way of being edgy and gaining attention," Stenberg says. "In 2013, Miley Cyrus twerks and uses black women as props, and then in 2014, in one of her videos called 'This Is How We Do,' Katy Perry uses Ebonics and hand gestures and eats watermelons while wearing cornrows before cutting inexplicably to a picture of Aretha Franklin. So as you can see, cultural appropriation was rampant."

The video features clips of Kesha and Kim Kardashian wearing cornrows and Madonna with a grill over her teeth. Footage from Taylor Swift's hip-hop influenced "Shake It Off" video is also shown.

Stenberg, who has also appeared in 2011's Colombiana and on the Fox drama Sleepy Hollow, addresses that Azealia Banks criticized Iggy Azalea for not speaking out after a grand jury decided not to indict the police officer who put Eric Garner in a chokehold.

"I've been seeing this question a lot on social media, and I think it's really relevant: 'What would America be like if we loved black people as much as we love black culture?' " Stenberg says at the end of the video.

The full video can be seen here. 

Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6538495/hunger-games-star-criticizes-taylor-swift-madonna-appropriation-black-culture

Your thoughts? Is she spilling the hot tea for this cultural appropriation issue? or is she riding along the social justice warrior trend? Discuss.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phoenix

She is saying the truth I guess but she is too young to speak about this.

💎

gagzus

i personally think we should all just enjoy life instead of having to critique someone for copying u tbh

danwasd

"[In the 2010s,] pop stars and icons adopted black culture as a way of being edgy and gaining attention," Stenberg says. "In 2013, Miley Cyrus twerks and uses black women as props, and then in 2014, in one of her videos called 'This Is How We Do,' Katy Perry uses Ebonics and hand gestures and eats watermelons while wearing cornrows before cutting inexplicably to a picture of Aretha Franklin. So as you can see, cultural appropriation was rampant."

​The TIHWD impact :toofunny:

Goosey

Everyone 'appropriates' everyone else's culture. That's kinda how this whole culture thing works. Cringeworthy.

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

nikola

WHAT..........................WHAT...........stay silent pls

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

Everyone 'appropriates' everyone else's culture. That's kinda how this whole culture thing works. Cringeworthy.

​THIS

SissyFromSpace

As a black person i will say "cultrual appropriation" towards mainstream black culture is bull****. continue to twerk and wear all the gold chains you want. 

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

SissyFromSpace

There's nothing significant about wearing hoods, saggy pants, chains, saying the n word, dressing urban, etc. People act like its the equivalent to wearing traditional Asian attire. Sorry but I'm over this "cultural appropriation" trend.

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

Jesse Pinkman

I'm black and I don't find any of these things offensive, America was built on the principles of "cultural appropriation." People just like to complain.

It's science, bitch

Azor Ahai

She played a minor character in the first movie don't call her a star please.

And she should like Jaden Smith or something 

Archived