đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kayla

People should be able to wear clothes from other cultures, but doing it in certain ways is cringe-worthy.

I fully agree with the sentiment: "'What would America be like if we loved black people as much as we love black culture?"

Do black girls who dye their hair blonde appropriate white culture?

:reductive:

​I think when people make these kinds of arguments they forget the racial hierarchy in this country. Insitutionally and socially black people are still very much held down. When the dominant group misappropriates the oppressed group it's clearly a racial issue. Black people are equal to me in every way but that doesn't mean others see it as true. A bunch of white girls playing into "ratchet culture" without ever discussing black issues? That's screwed up. (here's looking at you, Iggy)

Sister

THIS again, if this is the future, I am ready to kill over.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Kayla

Good Lord, people. She actually has a point. If you think they're arguing against being influenced by other people's cultures, then you're being defensive. It's perfectly fine to appreciate minority cultures...but when you act in a way that disrespects their culture (dressing as a native American for Halloween) or continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes / social strucutres, or when you remain silent on issues sensitive to the culture you're appropriating, then it's bad.

Cultural appropriation is a neutral concept. Neither good nor bad.

Cultural misappropriation is the problem. The lifting of traits of a minority culture by the dominant one with no respect to its origins.

​THIS. 

A lot of what she said is a bit ignorant- people should be able to have cornrows, wear chains, do things that are associated with black culture. The problem is when they take those things and use them in a mocking tone or to be funny/edgy. 

There's a difference between "I want cornrows because I think I could pull it off," and "Wouldn't it be funny if I had cornrows?"

Using things normally associated with another culture isn't wrong. People need to realize that culture shouldn't be limited. But what people also should realize is that if you are taking inspiration from another culture it's rude to turn a blind eye when they need help too. 

We bash on other artists for ripping off Gaga because their tour poster looks the same, yet discredit someone's opinion when they give criticism related to how their culture is used. 

Kayla

I wish people would just listen a little harder, look a little closer, try to really understand. This girl is so smart. Dismissing her as young, or dismissing the issue as "tired" is so close minded. Obviously this is a real issue that so many people care about, and when you just roll your eyes and dismiss it, in a way you're proving her point.

"What would America be like if we loved black people as much as we love black culture?"

The difference between white women wearing cornrows and Beyonce having a blonde weave is that blonde hair is celebrated no matter who is wearing it, black styles of hair are often seen as unprofessional but once it becomes a trend with white people it's seen as a "cool, new, and interesting" fashion statement.

Most people will see the image of a black man wearing a grill and jump to the conclusion that he's uneducated or "ghetto", but Katy Perry can wear a grill to the VMAs and it's just ironic and amusing :fat: 

That's the difference. 

​THIS THIS THIS. ****ing this.

It's the idea that when a white person does things we normally see black people doing, it's "funny" or "omg look!"

Like when Taylor was "T-Swizzle"

The fact is we don't take these things seriously. Like when white kids giggle at the name "Shaniqua," but they are serious for the people who do them. 

The problem isn't with people wearing/doing things associated with black culture, the problem is doing it in a mocking form, or in a way to get noticed. The problem also is that these are things that when a black person does them are seen as lesser, but a white person does it and it's funny, "interesting," or even "cute."

On the flipside, people getting pissed off every time someone has cornrows and isn't black is ridiculous. I'm white and my mom used to braid my hair like that because I wanted to be like a character on a TV show I liked- a black girl with cornrows. She was my favorite, and I wanted to be like her. We always grew up around black people, with black friends, and were respectful of black culture. I don't feel I was "appropriating" their culture when I wanted to look like one of my black idols. 

The fact is we don't take these things seriously. Like when white kids giggle at the name "Shaniqua," but they are serious for the people who do them. 

​My guess is the people who are on here commenting about how misappropriation isn't an issue are the same people who share those twitter accounts that exploit black female stereotypes out the wazoo. I remember I saw someone post a thread "check out this hilarious twitter account" and it was like "LaQuanda Fanisha" or some bull**** like that. There's a lot of white male privilege on here.. Which sucks because it's often coming from queer men.

codymonster

Orrrrrr, we could just have "culture." Why does it have to be "white" or "black" or "Hispanic." We all live together. Why can't we just have "human culture" and share and borrow and live as we all please?

That's all I have to say about this. So tired of this "you're being racist" **** for things that are so irrelavent and NOT RACIST. We have "toga" parties, which are parties where you dress up in togas, which originated from Greece. Does that mean we are making fun of/being racist towards Greeks? **** no. We're just sharing culture and having fun as humans. Many curly haired black women straighten their hair. Does that mean they are appropriating white culture? No, they just think it looks nice. I just don't understand why people care :sweat: Especially when this time and energy could be put towards fighting ACTUAL racism; like people being beaten up for their skin color or being ridiculed for their race.

Kermit

:gaycat:

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

RodeckDanny

Her critique actually sounds pretty hollow to me

Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)

LoveandMagic

While I think it's great that at a young age Amandla is trying to be socially aware (and I respect her opinion), I do not think the people she named are trying to demean other groups of people in their videos. They have fans of all races, I'm sure they wouldn't want to offend any. I think they just simply like the styles and think their fun. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

StrawberryBlond

I do see her point and agree with a few of her examples. But ultimately, I don't think culture should be so set in stone. Cultures mixing can produce amazing things, particularly in music and dance. It's one thing to take someone else's culture and apply it in a way that seems derogatory, stereotypical or racist...but simply expanding your mind to other cultures is perfectly fine. No one can own culture. It filters through society. And we should be pleased when others take our culture and try to make it their own as its shows our impact and that we're appreciated. When we say "only this race/culture can do this," we're crushing potential.

Archived