💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

MarryTheSequins

Imagine how much shorter all these threads would be if we deleted all the posts that just said 'oh I am so over this cultural appropriation ****'

'It doesn't offend me so' ok thanks for that, spokesperson of all people of colour everywhere, carry on folks it doesn't offend this person

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MarryTheSequins

Furthermore, some of you are incredibly patronising. She's 16 - that's older than a significant bunch of members here.

Didymus

​Kind of funny story? Here at my university, we have this collective demographic stigma of being hella liberal and hella open to cultural diversity, and yet- as was said in OP- there tends to be more an open love of what is perceived to be "Black culture", and the actual Black demographic (or general minority demographic in general, myself included, but in particular the Black student community here) statistically get so much less.

From what you said, I'm trying to look back to what I perceive, and what others perceive, as "Black culture", and it's kind of awful in that you're right- people really do bring themselves out as very, very ignorant. And on both ends, too! On both ends- both the people simultaneously glorifying and mocking the culture, and even the people fighting for some cause through a singular mindset, without looking deep into it or without the actual consideration of the situation in context.

I don't know- I'm in the uni's library stewing in this thought, and your post just got me up lol. I miss you, Didy.

:flutter:

I missed you too, it seems like forever since I saw one of your posts around.

​the hairstyles , for there certain hair type , fashion choices , food , religion , they are much more family oriented , and much more . as a black person i think i know what I'm talking about

​As a white person I know what I'm talking about when I say that there is no such thing as a culture based on skin color, easily shown by the global, cultural diversity among people who look the same when you narrow them down to their physical appearance. Any opposite way of thinking is based on the logic of colonialism and racism.

I understand that minority groups feel pressured to speak up when they feel like their "culture" is being misused, but the complete lack of reflection on what exactly that culture is supposed to be and the lack of examination of the predominantly emotional and irrational arguments throws me off. One look at history will prove that not one culture came to be without appropriation of tens of sources.

I'd rather evolve to a future where the idea of a racially inspired culture disappears and makes room for individualized concepts. What's really interesting in this whole matter is why certain black individuals feel offended and mistreated and why stereotypical elements of "black culture" are so popular in the media, yet nobody can even begin a discussion about that without emotional arguments being thrown into the game of social media. Accepting these allegations on their own terms means a demise into racism and a blind acceptance of emotional arguments that are only being taken seriously because they're coming from a minority group that people can sympathize and identify with for all the wrong reasons.

ShockPop

If I said being a watermelon eating cornrow wearer was a "black people" thing I'd be stoned to death for racism.... but it's ok if you're black to blast white people that dO these things BECAUSE it's ONLY for black people?!

You are either racist or you're not. Decide. Being black isn't a get out.

Stephen

I wish people would just listen a little harder, look a little closer, try to really understand. This girl is so smart. Dismissing her as young, or dismissing the issue as "tired" is so close minded. Obviously this is a real issue that so many people care about, and when you just roll your eyes and dismiss it, in a way you're proving her point.

"What would America be like if we loved black people as much as we love black culture?"

The difference between white women wearing cornrows and Beyonce having a blonde weave is that blonde hair is celebrated no matter who is wearing it, black styles of hair are often seen as unprofessional but once it becomes a trend with white people it's seen as a "cool, new, and interesting" fashion statement.

Most people will see the image of a black man wearing a grill and jump to the conclusion that he's uneducated or "ghetto", but Katy Perry can wear a grill to the VMAs and it's just ironic and amusing :fat: 

That's the difference. 

Pharamon

Rue was so cute and adorable in Hunger Games...but once she died she turned into a shady girl :toofunga:

Giorno Giovanna

i personally think we should all just enjoy life instead of having to critique someone for copying u tbh

i totally agree

if i feel comfortable about doing/wearing/saying things that are common in black culture i do it

and don't mind if she thinks i am copying

in the end she copies from her ancestors too

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

Didymus

Most people will see the image of a black man wearing a grill and jump to the conclusion that he's uneducated or "ghetto", but Katy Perry can wear a grill to the VMAs and it's just ironic and amusing :fat:

​And what do you think people would say if they saw a picture of a random white person wearing it? :ohwell:

This whole thing hinges on celebrity culture and social media and barely has anything substantial to do with what real people do, think and say, which is why discussing about whether or not a celebrity did something wrong is completely besides the point.

Whispering

Thank goodness she called everyone out, including Madonna and Katy. If it would have been just Iggy, no one would be questioning the message. Now that others have been thrown into the cultural appropriation bag, I see people backing off of a topic they would have been all about if it was just Iggy.

Funny how that works. 

venusian

:flutter:

I missed you too, it seems like forever since I saw one of your posts around.

​As a white person I know what I'm talking about when I say that there is no such thing as a culture based on skin color, easily shown by the global, cultural diversity among people who look the same when you narrow them down to their physical appearance. Any opposite way of thinking is based on the logic of colonialism and racism.

I understand that minority groups feel pressured to speak up when they feel like their "culture" is being misused, but the complete lack of reflection on what exactly that culture is supposed to be and the lack of examination of the predominantly emotional and irrational arguments throws me off. One look at history will prove that not one culture came to be without appropriation of tens of sources.

I'd rather evolve to a future where the idea of a racially inspired culture disappears and makes room for individualized concepts. What's really interesting in this whole matter is why certain black individuals feel offended and mistreated and why stereotypical elements of "black culture" are so popular in the media, yet nobody can even begin a discussion about that without emotional arguments being thrown into the game of social media. Accepting these allegations on their own terms means a demise into racism and a blind acceptance of emotional arguments that are only being taken seriously because they're coming from a minority group that people can sympathize and identify with for all the wrong reasons.

​i didn't say its based on color of skin but its a fact that africans have a different culture then americans

WELCOME TO THE TRAGIC KINGDOM

Didymus

​i didn't say its based on color of skin but its a fact that africans have a different culture then americans

​Have? Christianity is the biggest religion in Africa now and it's spreading. It was imported (not always without force) by white politicians. I guess that's not part of your black culture then, so what do we do with that? Are all black people who genuinely believe in Jesus and the Christian God not truly black?

Ironically, American Christianity comes from Europe as well, but European Christianity (and much of European culture) is historically derived from the Middle East. So who the hell is appropriating who here? Realistically, we should all forsake claims to any kind of culture because there will always be someone in the past who would've had an issue with it.

venusian

​Have? Christianity is the biggest religion in Africa now and it's spreading. I guess that's not part of your black culture then, so what do we do with that? Are these black people who genuinely believe in Jesus and the Christian God not truly black?

Welcome to racism.

​when did i bring god being black up christianity didn't start in africa and we never "claimed it" I'm saying christianity is a big part of african / african-american culture 

Didymus

​when did i bring god being black up christianity didn't start in africa and we never "claimed it" I'm saying christianity is a big part of african / african-american culture 

​So when you talk about black culture as obviouslye xisting you also mean elements that historically and geographically don't originate in Africa or America? That destabilizes your entire argument about the obvious nature of culture though. If a big part of African/African-American culture is not African/African-American of origin then why are we still calling it that?

venusian

​So when you talk about black culture as obviouslye xisting you also mean elements that historically and geographically don't originate in Africa or America? That destabilizes your entire argument about the obvious nature of culture though. If a big part of African/African-American culture is not African/African-American of origin then why are we still calling it that?

​bc they have adopted it and put into there everyday lives for centuries 

Archived