music news

Iggy Azalea glad she didn't win Grammy

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

This has already been posted, but I just thought it would be worth bringing up something else.

Iggy is frequently criticised for putting on a sterotypical black accent. I know why it annoys and even offends people, but not everyone understands how hard it is for a white person to rap and sound good because a lot of white accents simply just don't gel with rap. Australian is a really obvious example. The only whites who can maybe get away with rapping in their own voice is perhaps someone who grew up in the east end of London surrounded by black people because that's a very rare accent where it works. Everyone else has to make adjustments. Any time I sing along to a bit of rap, I always try to sing it just like the singer as my Scottish accent sounds ridiculous with it. Just stop to consider what it's like to rap with an authentic white accent for a minute and you'll get it. And it's not like she talks like this in general conversation. If she kept it up while talking normally, then I'd get the hate.

This has already been posted, but I just thought it would be worth bringing up something else.

Iggy is frequently criticised for putting on a sterotypical black accent. I know why it annoys and even offends people, but not everyone understands how hard it is for a white person to rap and sound good because a lot of white accents simply just don't gel with rap. Australian is a really obvious example. The only whites who can maybe get away with rapping in their own voice is perhaps someone who grew up in the east end of London surrounded by black people because that's a very rare accent where it works. Everyone else has to make adjustments. Any time I sing along to a bit of rap, I always try to sing it just like the singer as my Scottish accent sounds ridiculous with it. Just stop to consider what it's like to rap with an authentic white accent for a minute and you'll get it. And it's not like she talks like this in general conversation. If she kept it up while talking normally, then I'd get the hate.

:yes:

GypsyPrince

How typical for people to say they'd rather not win when they were actually not talented enough to win in the first place.

If it makes her feel better tho. :hehe:

GypsyPrince

You all were so far up Iggy's ass until like four months ago... now suddenly tables have turned and everyone hates her. What did I miss? She has a completely valid comparison to Eminem; how is he not ripped to shreds for being white in the rap industry? Everyone is all for "diversity acceptance and unity and harmony!!!!!" until a white girl turns out to be a successful rapper? 

​She was good before she got popular. Work and Bounce were my absolute faves.

Then her tweets started to get racist, and that joke of an interview where she TRIED to freestyle just blew up every remaining credibility she had as a rapper. 

She's also only successful because of the features she's put on her songs, let's not deny that. 

Maybe if she WRITES her own music and spits her own solo verses on her song and make it a hit, then people will start respecting her. Oh, and brush up on that freestyle because literally every other genuine rapper in the business can do that.

Jenniferella

I don't believe she deserves all the hate she's getting. She shouldn't care though, she's still far more succesful than many other artists and she needs to understand that she can be really proud of herself ! Dumb people will be dumb.

​She was good before she got popular. Work and Bounce were my absolute faves

​Lol

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Andreyw

​People love to hate so they look for any reason to do that , no matter what.

tumblr_nidf73C96Z1sjhd4fo1_250.gif

Staryu

She sounds like one of them people who are  SO excited to win something but then when they don't they act like they don't care and are all like "oh well i didn't want it anyway" 

​Pretty much.

Melech

Yeah but i don't remember Eminem putting on a fake accent

​This argument is highly flawed. Gaga is putting a different accent all the time. 

Paper Planes

​She was good before she got popular. Work and Bounce were my absolute faves.

Then her tweets started to get racist, and that joke of an interview where she TRIED to freestyle just blew up every remaining credibility she had as a rapper. 

​Here's where I stopped taking you seriously. That freestyle interview was dated from July 2013. That was before she got popular, which was a time that you just said she was "good." Her racist and homophobic tweets date back to 2010. Stop making excuses to hide that you're just following a hate trend.

delete it fat

GypsyPrince

​Here's where I stopped taking you seriously. That freestyle interview was dated from July 2013. That was before she got popular, which was a time that you just said she was "good." Her racist and homophobic tweets date back to 2010. Stop making excuses to hide that you're just following a hate trend.

​Ok it's going to be hard to explain my opinions, especially to a delusional person who is blind enough to support an "artist" like Iggy but Imma try anyway.

Who cares when the freestyle interview was dated from? Whether it's a video from the past, present or future, the fact remains that this person who calls herself a rapper, who is nominated under rap categories, and who is dominating pop & rap charts (at least while it lasted), can't spit freestyle. Since you're living in your delusional little bubble, it's probably hard for you to understand how offensive this is to the rap community at large.

PEOPLE JUST DON'T TAKE HER SERIOUSLY. It really isn't anybody's fault but hers. Fine, if you say this video is old and no longer relevant, maybe Iggy can try a freestyle again NOW to prove us wrong. Until then, I, along with every other "hater", am entitled to my opinions.

Now about her racist and homophobic tweets, again so what if it dates back to 2010? A racist is a racist. A homophobe is a homophobe. Just because she stopped tweeting recklessly doesn't mean she isn't THAT kind of person. Your opinion is therefore INVALID.

Stop making excuses to hide that the fact that you have a problematic fave.

It's also kinda funny you "stopped taking me seriously" when the real truth is, we all stopped taking Igloo seriously a long time ago. Get on with the times sis. :miley: 

Paper Planes

​Ok it's going to be hard to explain my opinions, especially to a delusional person who is blind enough to support an "artist" like Iggy but Imma try anyway.

Who cares when the freestyle interview was dated from? Whether it's a video from the past, present or future, the fact remains that this person who calls herself a rapper, who is nominated under rap categories, and who is dominating pop & rap charts (at least while it lasted), can't spit freestyle. Since you're living in your delusional little bubble, it's probably hard for you to understand how offensive this is to the rap community at large.

PEOPLE JUST DON'T TAKE HER SERIOUSLY. It really isn't anybody's fault but hers. Fine, if you say this video is old and no longer relevant, maybe Iggy can try a freestyle again NOW to prove us wrong. Until then, I, along with every other "hater", am entitled to my opinions.

Now about her racist and homophobic tweets, again so what if it dates back to 2010? A racist is a racist. A homophobe is a homophobe. Just because she stopped tweeting recklessly doesn't mean she isn't THAT kind of person. Your opinion is therefore INVALID.

Stop making excuses to hide that the fact that you have a problematic fave.

It's also kinda funny you "stopped taking me seriously" when the real truth is, we all stopped taking Igloo seriously a long time ago. Get on with the times sis. :miley: 

​Iggy is not my fave. :rip:

My point was that you claimed that she was "good" before she got popular; the cool thing on the Internet is knowing about artists way before they're too mainstream for your avant-garde hipster taste. During that time, the bad freestyle video was out there for your viewing pleasure, but obviously didn't effect your liking of her work. Her homophobic and racist tweets were out there, but obviously those didn't effect your liking of her work, either. Now that the cool thing is to hate on this girl who is just doing her thing and making a career, you jumped on the bandwagon? :shrug:

delete it fat

GypsyPrince

​Iggy is not my fave. :rip:

My point was that you claimed that she was "good" before she got popular; the cool thing on the Internet is knowing about artists way before they're too mainstream for your avant-garde hipster taste. During that time, the bad freestyle video was out there for your viewing pleasure, but obviously didn't effect your liking of her work. Her homophobic and racist tweets were out there, but obviously those didn't effect your liking of her work, either. Now that the cool thing is to hate on this girl who is just doing her thing and making a career, you jumped on the bandwagon? :shrug:

​1. I simply enjoyed her music back then. I didn't care enough as a fan to search for videos of her, hence I didn't chance upon that video. It didn't go viral then because people just couldn't be bothered.

2. Same goes for her Twitter.

If anything, the truth has been pushed into my face now with her haters digging up her past dirts.

If I wanted to be an avant-garde hipster who jumps on bandwagons as you say, trust me I wouldn't be on this site, much less stanning for the woman who had a media blackout, broke her hip and released a "subpar" (not to me) comeback pop album. 

Archived