💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Was G.U.Y. meant to flop? Was it a genuine flop or a bad luck?

Hope

Featured Posts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point every single would have been a "flop". The GP wasn't here for her and she didn't promote the single (we only have the Letterman performance, I think?!) 

Anyway, I don't care, because I love the song :music:

StrawberryBlond

It's like Gaga did all this for a bet. Like she was trying to prove something to her label. Like she said: "I'm going to release a single with a mega-long video, do no promo for it whatsoever, just to see how it performs." That video must have been so expensive to make, you don't just make a video like that then not promote the song it features. I think it's amazing how many views it has (both versions have a combined total of 90.3 million views) despite it being so long and the song flopping so spectacularly. Katy Perry released Birthday at the same time - it was her longest video, at just over 8 minutes, just had one version, and it actually entered the top 20 in most of the world. Despite this, its only achieved 48.3 million views in 10 months, which is unheard of for a Katy video. She has worse charting singles that have more views than this. The lyric video has more views, which proves that it wasn't that people just didn't want to hear the song. It just shows that the world isn't here for a video epic from Katy Perry and they deem Gaga more interesting.

Psychedelic

It was meant to flop imo. I remember being so eager for Venus to make the ARTPOP era rise from the ashes after the DWUW mess (now that was bad luck, DWUW wasn't meant to flop at all) but then Gaga made public that G.U.Y. was the 3rd single... I was like... :bye: this era has sunk to the deepest depth of the ocean... and I was right!

Psychedelic

G.U.Y. could have done well only if it was released after a hit, after Applause so to speak, or let's pretend DWUW had performed way better, then G.U.Y. could have had chances. But reality is that the DWUW era was quite messy and full of unfortunate circumstances. The only way people could react to ARTPOP again was by giving them a shock factor, Venus for instance, but she went for the safest choice on the album. G.U.Y. is great but let's admit it's a little generic. Meant to flop after the DWUW mess/thread

Jewels n Drugs

It went to #1 for 10 weeks in my heart.

:heart:

​thisssss

oh look when you werent looking my motorcycle turned into a piano

AquaFire Witch

G.U.Y couldn't work to that time

- Gagas image was cracked

- ARTPOP disappointed in critics and in sales

- era chaotic, DWYW  chance not used and because of that radios were uninterested

- song catchy, but nothing special

- people heard that sound 100 times of Gaga

- very gay and in connection with Gaga's gay image, it gived the song rest

G.U.Y would work during The Fame era, to the time it would have been sounded freshly. Freshly like Gagas sound and her image. 

​I agree. ARTPOP served Gaga's musical desires and the fans at the time. It was a great time for all of us who got to experience. I am kinda glad the media wasn't involved. It was our thing.

Thanks Gaga!

Archived