💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Rap Icon Iggy Azalea speaks about new tour, stans Madonna, and more

Navy

Featured Posts

maxresdefault.jpg

Seating_IggyAzalea.gif

Let's unscrew Iggy Azalea, human Vegemite. The salty Australian export is an acquired taste, as passionately adored as she is derided by nose-pinching purists. But Iggy's lippy, exuberantly defiant belief that white women can rapâ€â€specifically white six-foot-tall ex-maids with the acid-tripped Technicolor stylings of Saved by the Bellâ€â€has earned her four Grammy nominations, four smash singles, and a take-that chart record that is shared only by the Beatlesâ€â€that record being for simultaneously charting songs at No. 1 and No. 2 as her first two singles, one of which comes off her earwormy debut, The New Classic. She talks to us about interior decorating, Madonna's tour, and what helps shield against the hate.

·Â·Ã‚·

GQ: You did a lot in 2014, and you're up for four Grammys. What's ahead?

Iggy Azalea: I try not to have too many different goals, because then if they don't happen, you can be disappointed. You might overlook the fact that you might still be having a great life. I just set immediate goals for myself; the only thing I'm thinking about at the moment is having a great second album and doing a great job on my tour that I have coming up, because it's my first arena tour. And I'd like it to not be my last arena tour.

That's gonna be huge. What are you most focused on for the show?

Everything. Concept. Tour posters. I want everything to be rightâ€â€everything, from the tour book to what someone wears. Even the right faces for the dancers, and their attitude. Everything is equally important. At the moment, I'm just trying to work on the initial stage design and making a stage that I feel like can engage with many people in an arena that big. So I'm doing something maybe not very traditional, and I'm working on that. Then tour posters.

When you say goals can distract you from the fact that you have a great life, what in your own life do you look at and think, "I have it good"?

I think probably waking up every day in my beautiful houseâ€â€the new house with my boyfriend [Nick Young], the month or two that we've been in it. I'm just getting to that point now, with the home, where we're getting all the furniture, and it's been really exciting to feel like I'm home. And when I'm walking down the hallway and I see all this great stuff in such a nice house, it's hard to think you have it tough. You have to be thankful for that! So I'm happy. That definitely reminds me every day that you should enjoy this ****.

Have you been doing up the house yourself? What's your style?

I've been decorating it. I'd say it's a traditional East Coast/Hamptons–style house. That's the kind of vibe I think the house has. Like, contemporary and still usable. I just bought a Patrick Nagel original painting for my house the other day, so it's very homey, but I have some cool artwork that makes it seem like it's not as old-lady-ish.

You've got a unique, honed sense of style. What are your aesthetic touch points?

I think it depends. Everything's different. Like with my house, I want it to feel calm and warm and different, but onstage I really tend to go a lot bolder, brighter, and crazy, aesthetically. I want it to be more stimulating than I would a house, you know what I mean? Like, with the tour, I just really like color blockingâ€â€loud, just obnoxious-type visual things.

What shows have you been to in your life that you're like, "I want my first arena tour to be like this"?

I didn't get to go to too many shows when I was a kid, because they were very expensive. To buy a ticket to an arena tour that comes around was at least $100, and that's a lot when you're a kid. So the first show I ever went to was 50 Cent, and I went to other rap concertsâ€â€which I was completely in awe of, but maybe not so much production-wise. The traditional hip-hop arena show is more focused on a DJ. I don't think it has as many props and spectacles as perhaps a pop show, which is also what I would say my show is visually like.

One tour I really love that I didn't go to, unfortunately, was the Madonna "Confessions" tour. I love that tour so much. It was actually why I called up Jamie King, who's working on the tour with meâ€â€because he left Madonna's tour. I was like, I've gotta have the people that were involved in creating this. I love when the stage changes and transforms.

What do you want people to say about your shows?

My tour is called "The Great Escape," and I think it's a little bit surreal. I always think of Xanadu and Fantasia when doing up my tour. And I just want, not to be too wacky, but I just want a great experience and just felt really immersed in the whole thing. And I think that's what's so great about arenasâ€â€because they're just so dark and black, and it's just like this little bubble universe. Trippy, cool, colorful.

Fast-forward to the end of your career. What do you want your legacy to be?

You never know how long you'll be in people's good graces, especially in this business. So I hope it's longâ€â€but I could be here for three or four years and then be out, like most artists. So it depends. I might be here for a long time. At the very worst, if I have a short-lived career, at least I could say I sparked a changeâ€â€that I inspired some leniency in what people accept in hip-hop. And if I have a very long career and can be gyrating in a leotard at 35, that would be great.

People say some harsh things about you. What helps you bear up under that?

Uh, awards season helps. Anytime where people get to choose who they want to have a voice and they choose me, I just think that makes it worth it. And that gives me the patience to just bite my tongue. When people choose me as the person they think should be speaking for them, I think, Well, I don't really care what someone in the industry or another artist has to say about it. Your opinion is biased anyway, because you want people to listen to your voice. So having actual people who choose me, it makes me think, I have a place, and I don't care what other people have to say about it. I was a fan of rap music growing up, and I didn't feel like there were enough characters that represented me and my situation. So I think it's needed.

What's something you do for yourself every day?

I'm pretty normal. I like to just chill out, cook something nice, in my house. Just relax. Watch TV. Just kind of have a normal life.

What do you cook?

My absolute number one favorite thing to cook is chicken teriyaki. My grandma taught me how to make it. I left home when I was 16, and it's the one thing I really enjoy. I put so much soy sauce and chicken broth in the thing and make it so potent that nobody else could possibly enjoy it! But it's just the way I like it.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201502/iggy-azalea-interview-grammys?mbid=synd_huffpo

Humble princess of hip-hop :legend: working with the legend that is Jamie King :giveup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gianni Versace

With a title like that, it seems as though you are just lookin' for trouble. :Chica:

With a title like that, it seems as though you are just lookin' for trouble. :Chica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTUiqf_Kag

MANiDONTCURE

Loved this interview. Queen.

EDIT: That stage looks really interesting, I'm excited to see how it'll look like in person.

mmm girl

Icon she is not.

Can't wait to see the boxscore for this tour :lmao:

Guaranteed it will be atleast 90% sold :coffee:

ChasingGhosts

I doubt she could sell out an arena tbh 

Born This Way > Joanne > The Fame Monster > The Fame > ARTPOP

Gianni Versace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTUiqf_Kag

:usrs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQ-lvEZMV0

That's more like it.

:music:

:usrs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQ-lvEZMV0

That's more like it.

:music:

Best song on reclassified :giveup: should be the single.

She announced the trouble music video is coming soon, directed by her!!

I doubt she could sell out an arena tbh

Decent priced tickets, Nick Jonas supporting.

I'm sure she can

Archived