đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Radio the reason GUY did not succeed

Quark

Featured Posts

freebit

G.U.Y. needed a ton of support that it didn't have. If it was released at the right time, with a radio deal, label backing, and no "flop" media propaganda, I guarantee it would have done well.

It reminds me of Nelly Furtado's Waiting for the Night. Big catchy sound, but by the time it was released it was too late in the album campaign for it to smash like it deserved. 

Timing is everything.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G.U.Y. needed a ton of support that it didn't have. If it was released at the right time, with a radio deal, label backing, and no "flop" media propaganda, I guarantee it would have done well.

It reminds me of Nelly Furtado's Waiting for the Night. Big catchy sound, but by the time it was released it was too late in the album campaign for it to smash like it deserved. 

Timing is everything.

YES. And that's to everything you've written. I couldn't remember how many times I've expounded the situation of G.U.Y. as the post-album single coming after a months-long absence of Gaga from the mainstream spotlight in the middle of an album run. It wasn't just the lack of radio support. It lacked everything (except a great music video) in order to move sales and earn sufficient public interest. Not to mention, her momentum back then was low, if not next to zero. Without a harder push, both on the part of the artist and the fans, there's no way it'd have convinced mainstream radio to allot space for such song. 

No.

GUY is not the ideal single.

Gypsy aka The Smash That Got Away was :emo:

Both always were obvious flops to me. Both doesn't go far enough in their concepts to be interesting.

freebit

YES. And that's to everything you've written. I couldn't remember how many times I've expounded the situation of G.U.Y. as the post-album single coming after a months-long absence of Gaga from the mainstream spotlight in the middle of an album run. It wasn't just the lack of radio support. It lacked everything (except a great music video) in order to move sales and earn sufficient public interest. Not to mention, her momentum back then was low, if not next to zero. Without a harder push, both on the part of the artist and the fans, there's no way it'd have convinced mainstream radio to allot space for such song. 

Yep, people can argue about G.U.Y.'s lyrics and sound all they want, but when something auraly cluttered, cheesy and dated sounding like Bang Bang smashes it's really evident that good momentum is a huge factor in getting something to become a hit. I feel like that song proved to me that radio will play nearly anything if it has the right backing and media hype.

Archived