Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

VIDEO: Macklemore on HOT 97; talks about race, Azealia/Iggy, etc.

Pure Adrenaline

Featured Posts

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

poor iggy being involved in this mess and all the lies about her  :rip:

Iggy be like....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTMVCk1MGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4FF6MpcsRw

I still think they're missing the main issue - themes and experimentation. These are the factors that ultimately determine an artist's success, not their race. A parent-friendly rapper who makes mainstream music will obviously sell more than a gangsta rapper who makes experimental music, regardless of their race. There are white artists from all genres who can't get success because their music isn't kid-friendly and is too experimental. But this side of the coin is never brought up. It has to come back to race. And it's taking it to this simplistic place that is ultimately holding back America from improving racial tension. It's getting really annoying how the hosts repeatedly kiss up to Azealia and make out that she's the greatest artist who ever lived and it's the biggest injustice that she's not bigger. It's like, face it, guys, she created a highly experimental album, released it through non-traditional means, there are no physical copies in stores, she isn't promoting it and her bad attitude turns off a lot of people (she lost a lot of fans after her use of the f word and insulting Gaga). That doesn't bode well for a successful career no matter who you are or where you came from. If people don't know she exists or if they do, think she's highly unlikeable, how on earth does she expect her album to sell? People like Azealia think the world owes them a favour and they should get success just because they feel they deserve it.

Exactly. Iggy has been hugely objectified in interviews. And from primetime outlets too. She's getting the sort of interview one would expect of a p*rn star invited on Howard Stern. It's disgusting how rap females are still treated in a dehumanising way. It's doesn't matter if they portray themselves as eye candy, it's still not right. Clearly, this radio station only treats rap females with respect if they're black and/or they like their music. If you're white and your music are too mainstream, you're nothing but a piece of a** to them, apparently.

all of this :trootea:

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

MahoganySnitch

You're the one who's missing the main issue, this is not about Iggy success per se.. this is about the accolades she's getting, When the grammys nominate her album for Best Rap album of the year, something is wrong, a lot of talented musicians released a far better album than Iggy, and her mainstream success should not matter because the grammys should be about quality.

Also this is way bigger than Iggy vs Azealia.. of course if your album is more experimental it'll be harder for you to achieve mainstream success.. but When both Black and White artists achieve mainstream success like Macklemore and Kendrick did, Macklemore will always be more privilleged because of his skin colour..

:applause: 

You're the one who's missing the main issue, this is not about Iggy success per se.. this is about the accolades she's getting, When the grammys nominate her album for Best Rap album of the year, something is wrong, a lot of talented musicians released a far better album than Iggy, and her mainstream success should not matter because the grammys should be about quality.

Also this is way bigger than Iggy vs Azealia.. of course if your album is more experimental it'll be harder for you to achieve mainstream success.. but When both Black and White artists achieve mainstream success like Macklemore and Kendrick did, Macklemore will always be more privilleged because of his skin colour..

:saira:  :applause:  :applause:

Kindness rules all.

inuborg

Funny how the SAME people aren't getting it, and making it about stan wars and "poor iggy"

Poor them :emma:

Its about something more than that, its about general racial injustice.

And PS Azealia IS the greatest artist to ever live :hor:

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

TheOriginalOne
Funny how the SAME people aren't getting it, and making it about stan wars and "poor iggy"Poor them :emma:Its about something more than that, its about general racial injustice.

Didn't finish it all, but it was a pretty interesting interview. Glad he understands why Hip-Hop fans aren't that fond of Iggy, and how he understands privileges in the world... unlike homegirl who acts unfazed. 

But this thumbnail image got him looking stressed.

:lmao: 

I still think they're missing the main issue - themes and experimentation. These are the factors that ultimately determine an artist's success, not their race. A parent-friendly rapper who makes mainstream music will obviously sell more than a gangsta rapper who makes experimental music, regardless of their race. There are white artists from all genres who can't get success because their music isn't kid-friendly and is too experimental. But this side of the coin is never brought up. It has to come back to race. And it's taking it to this simplistic place that is ultimately holding back America from improving racial tension. It's getting really annoying how the hosts repeatedly kiss up to Azealia and make out that she's the greatest artist who ever lived and it's the biggest injustice that she's not bigger. It's like, face it, guys, she created a highly experimental album, released it through non-traditional means, there are no physical copies in stores, she isn't promoting it and her bad attitude turns off a lot of people (she lost a lot of fans after her use of the f word and insulting Gaga). That doesn't bode well for a successful career no matter who you are or where you came from. If people don't know she exists or if they do, think she's highly unlikeable, how on earth does she expect her album to sell? People like Azealia think the world owes them a favour and they should get success just because they feel they deserve it.

Exactly. Iggy has been hugely objectified in interviews. And from primetime outlets too. She's getting the sort of interview one would expect of a p*rn star invited on Howard Stern. It's disgusting how rap females are still treated in a dehumanising way. It's doesn't matter if they portray themselves as eye candy, it's still not right. Clearly, this radio station only treats rap females with respect if they're black and/or they like their music. If you're white and your music are too mainstream, you're nothing but a piece of a** to them, apparently.

I agree with this post. Azealia's frustrations have roots in real issues, but she's not willing to see the other side of things. 

StrawberryBlond

The Grammys have rarely been about quality. A lot of people don't put stock in them and never have. A lot of the committee don't even hear every album released in a year - they just nominate the ones that were the most relevant. I've repeatedly seen Grammys go to very basically talented artists with no innovation recently and it's not much surprise that they're also the ones that are the most successful at the moment. And if you want the Grammys to be about quality, why aren't you questioning Nicki's Anaconda being nominated? That song is pure trash and not Grammy material whatsoever and as seen by its worldwide chart performance, sales and dislikes on YouTube, the public don't think too highly of it either. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw it was nominated. As someone who listened to the majority of rap albums this year, I'd say it was a case of pretty slim pickings for nominations, but not that slim. Considering that Miley didn't get nominated for WCS and WB, likely due to the negative reception both videos got, I don't know how Anaconda slipped under the wire.

I don't really know what to say to "white artists will always be more privilaged." As a Brit, this isn't an issue. We don't bring up issues like this in music topics. You could say I'm not equipped to deal with it. I just hope America will reach a stage where not everything keeps coming back to race.

Funny how the SAME people aren't getting it, and making it about stan wars and "poor iggy"

Poor them :emma:

Its about something more than that, its about general racial injustice.

And PS Azealia IS the greatest artist to ever live :hor:

I do get it, but Azealia's frustrations about race are separate from the problems she has with Iggy. They're getting mixed and this is problematic. If she wants to talk about racial injustice, just do that, don't try to bring down other artists. It's clear Azealia just wants to bring Iggy down. She just came right out the blue and accused Iggy of not caring about black issues because she didn't tweet about a current black issue. Like, WTF? Grow up and stop spending all your time online. I hardly ever tweet because I don't feel a need to document every passing thought. I think it's pathetic how some people think you don't care about something just because you don't take it to social media. So, my conclusion is that Azealia was just looking for a reason to pick on Iggy, even if she had to invent one. That is rude and slanderous. Her behaviour is that of a bully and I can't support bullies. It was clear she just wanted to talk about racial issues and her frustrations in general and brought Iggy into it to get her name in the headlines and get people listening. It's not like I liked her before for her many rude tweets but this incident has just pushed me over the edge. A talented women with so much potential who let her ego and attitude problem get the better of her...and yet all she can do is blame others for her lack of success.

Dangerous Man

Hmmm. Interesting.

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

The Grammys have rarely been about quality. A lot of people don't put stock in them and never have. A lot of the committee don't even hear every album released in a year - they just nominate the ones that were the most relevant. I've repeatedly seen Grammys go to very basically talented artists with no innovation recently and it's not much surprise that they're also the ones that are the most successful at the moment. And if you want the Grammys to be about quality, why aren't you questioning Nicki's Anaconda being nominated? That song is pure trash and not Grammy material whatsoever and as seen by its worldwide chart performance, sales and dislikes on YouTube, the public don't think too highly of it either. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw it was nominated. As someone who listened to the majority of rap albums this year, I'd say it was a case of pretty slim pickings for nominations, but not that slim. Considering that Miley didn't get nominated for WCS and WB, likely due to the negative reception both videos got, I don't know how Anaconda slipped under the wire.

I don't really know what to say to "white artists will always be more privilaged." As a Brit, this isn't an issue. We don't bring up issues like this in music topics. You could say I'm not equipped to deal with it. I just hope America will reach a stage where not everything keeps coming back to race.

I do get it, but Azealia's frustrations about race are separate from the problems she has with Iggy. They're getting mixed and this is problematic. If she wants to talk about racial injustice, just do that, don't try to bring down other artists. It's clear Azealia just wants to bring Iggy down. She just came right out the blue and accused Iggy of not caring about black issues because she didn't tweet about a current black issue. Like, WTF? Grow up and stop spending all your time online. I hardly ever tweet because I don't feel a need to document every passing thought. I think it's pathetic how some people think you don't care about something just because you don't take it to social media. So, my conclusion is that Azealia was just looking for a reason to pick on Iggy, even if she had to invent one. That is rude and slanderous. Her behaviour is that of a bully and I can't support bullies. It was clear she just wanted to talk about racial issues and her frustrations in general and brought Iggy into it to get her name in the headlines and get people listening. It's not like I liked her before for her many rude tweets but this incident has just pushed me over the edge. A talented women with so much potential who let her ego and attitude problem get the better of her...and yet all she can do is blame others for her lack of success.

I have to agree with this. So much tea in here. :applause:

As much as I saw where Azealia Banks is coming from, it's hard not to think that she had a thing going against Iggy when you see tweets like throwing a jar of piss to Igloo Australia, iffy azuzu, itchy areola, etc.

Had she became more mature on the way she dwells in the issue, she could have gotten lots of respect and credibility.

This.

Archived