💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Nicki Minaj shares "Why Grammys are as white as you think" article

Yanko

Featured Posts

http://www.thefader.com/2014/12/12/10-reasons-the-grammys-are-as-white-as-you-think-they-are

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/543923132453494784

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/543923804213219328

i hope this doesnt take her chances away at the grammys :ohno:

10. White artists making music influenced by black culture get treated differently

It's especially interesting to see Mileyâ€â€an artist who built her whole album campaign and new sonic direction last year around the grotesque appropriation of black cultureâ€â€being labelled as Pop rather than Urban Contemporary.

Meanwhile, this year Iggy Azalea became the first ever rapper to be nominated for both Best Rap Album and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for her own song (as opposed to Best Rap/Sung Collaboration). Juicy J and Nicki Minaj also rear their heads in the Pop Duo category, but as featured artists on tracks by Katy Perry and Jessie J; Iggy is the first rapper whose own song, from her own album, is being treated as "Pop," while the album itself is "Rap." Apparently, if you're a white woman, you don't have to be confined to the Urban or Rap categories; and don't forget, Iggy is also the only rapper nominated this year in the Best New Artist and Record of the Year categories. Move over Macklemore. If our discomfort with this year's nominations could be personified in one performer, Iggy Azalea would be it.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does music like Anaconda really deserve Grammys though? I think her music can be fun and all, but does it really present something substantial enough to be considered the best of 2014? I do agree however, that the Grammys do sometimes snub black artists, and I think it's good that Nicki is adding to that conversation. 

We're all Stronger Together!

"this year Iggy Azalea became the first ever rapper to be nominated for both Best Rap Album and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for her own song" :udidnt:

I never knew that. And people have the nerve to say it's harder for her because she is white :smh:
Even if you stan for Iggy, surely you don't think it is right that she is the FIRST EVER RAPPER to be nominated in both those categories.

It's a good article, and pretty embarrassing for The Grammys.

Why does Beyonce have so many f*cking awards. While Madonna got snubbed for years.  

Why did "white soul" Adele get put against Gaga in pop, allowing Chris Brown to win the "black" category.

The Grammies are anti-rap (see Eminem never winning AOTY), but pander to blacks a lot.

'Tis true.

If Iggy Azalea wins any Grammys next year over the other's she's against in the Rap categories, that tells me everything I need to know about the committee. Was she big this year? Of course, but she doesn't hold nearly as much substance as others like Common or Donald Glover, or the other rap artists snubbed like always. Macklemore's music has substance, but The Heist can't even compare Kendrick Lamar's debut, whatsoever. If J. Cole doesn't get nominated next year for his latest release, I'll lose all faith in the Grammys, because now they're clearly only here for commercial artists... aka Urban music by Black artists either being snubbed completely or being whitewashed and awarded to the high heavens.

I think Nicki on the other hand is totally capable of bringing Grammy material work. Anaconda? Not so much, but I sometimes think even Nicki doesn't realize that she hasn't reached her full potential yet, which (to me) isn't a bad thing. I think she's capable of making even a better album. I haven't listened to TPP yet, but I hear it's very good. I still think Nicki has a lot more to bring in her next releases.

Does music like Anaconda really deserve Grammys though? I think her music can be fun and all, but does it really present something substantial enough to be considered the best of 2014? I do agree however, that the Grammys do sometimes snub black artists, and I think it's good that Nicki is adding to that conversation. 

Maybe it doesn't seem like it deserves grammys because white people music always wins grammys  :ohwell:

RAMROD

Your time will come, Nicki.

Just be patient.

Cos some of your seniors did it.

lauryn2.jpg

kanye.jpg

kanye-west-portrait-47th-grammy-awards-w

outkast-grammys-650-430-b.jpg

article-2276883-177E68A0000005DC-320_306

1359758200_alicia-keys-lg.jpg

47_AliciaKeys_Granitz.jpg?itok=X4TICf-T

tumblr_nfzr5bwLZi1r5y656o1_1280.jpg

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Whispering

Pharrell's ubiquitous "Happy" outsold everything in 2014, yet he gets a nod for Album of the Year and not Record or Song (Sam Smith, on the other hand, has nabbed nominations for Album, Record and Song). John Legend's huge tearjerker "All of Me," third on Billboard's Hot 100 songs of 2014, got a Best Pop Solo Performance nomination, but somehow didn't cut it for the primary categories.

Happy and All of Me weren't eligible this year. They were submitted last year. That's why their labels had to submit live performances for certain categories that would accept them

These songs simply weren't eligible. The author is wrong on this part. of her article.

Why does Beyonce have so many f*cking awards.

R&B categories.

Macklemore's music has substance, but The Heist can't even compare Kendrick Lamar's debut, whatsoever.

Macklemore had two things going for him - 3 big hits, and a socially meaningful song about gay rights (in a years that was very topical).

Your time will come, Nicki.

Just be patient.

Cos some of your seniors did it.

kanye.jpg

kanye-west-portrait-47th-grammy-awards-w

kanye west is also mentioned in the article

read it 

Nicki is just pressed. She doesn't even have any #1 singles and expects a Grammy?

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

Nicki is just pressed. She doesn't even have any #1 singles and expects a Grammy?

#1 has nothing to do with it

bad romance was #2 it has 2 grammys :gaga: 

This is not the AMAs. :teehee: You don't need commercial success to win a Grammy, although that's what it seems like nowadays. 

Archived