šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Nicki Minaj shares "Why Grammys are as white as you think" article

Yanko

Featured Posts

Willy Wonka

Notice how they happened with a woman. It was okay to have white male rap artists, but a woman now...that's a different story altogether!Ā  Of course, Macklemore gets excused, because he is " a cute white boy". ;)

Ā 

There is a reason they like to pit women against women and unfortunately some women fall right into the unnecessary fight.

You don't remember? Macklemore was controversial too. The rap committee of the GRAMMYS did NOT want him nominated. Even Macklemore mentioned he felt Kendrick Lamar should have won and that he felt he only won because he is white. The reason he wasn't as hated as Iggy is is because he recognized the impact his skin color has on how his music is received, acknowledged the systematic racism that oppresses black people, and continues to speak out about racism. Not to mention, he uses his natural voice. Iggy, on the other hand, has been called out for staying silent on these race issues, in addition to using "In other news that actually relates to me" to transition from talking about how she's not racist for not talking about Eric Garner to talking about her arena tour. In addition to using a stereotypically southern African-American voice to rap when she herself is Australian.

You're trying to compare someone who really has made work that is a reflection of himself while acknowledging the origins of his style and recognizing the systematic issues inherent in his success with someone who pretends to be something she's not while simultaneously distancing herself from the community she imitates.

Couldn't be more distinct examples. You should know better.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAMROD

It'd be interesting to see the demographics of the Recording Academy. Especially the race, gender and ages of members.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I know they skew older and male. (from information that's been available) Not sure about race.

Ā 

Ā 

Just look up NARAS akaĀ National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences.

Ā 

These are the organisation who own and did Grammy Awards.

Many of its members are too members of the committee for Grammy voting.

Ā 

Also read this too,Ā http://articles.latimes.com/print/1999/feb/21/entertainment/ca-10032

(ļ¾‰ā—•ćƒ®ā—•)ļ¾‰āœ§*:ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ā“č‰øļ½€*) ā™”ā™”ā™”

Whispering

You don't remember? Macklemore was controversial too. The rap committee of the GRAMMYS did NOT want him nominated. Even Macklemore mentioned he felt Kendrick Lamar should have won and that he felt he only won because he is white. The reason he wasn't as hated as Iggy is is because he recognized the impact his skin color has on how his music is received, acknowledged the systematic racism that oppresses black people, and continues to speak out about racism. Not to mention, he uses his natural voice. Iggy, on the other hand, has been called out for staying silent on these race issues, in addition to using "In other news that actually relates to me" to transition from talking about how she's not racist for not talking about Eric Garner to talking about her arena tour. In addition to using a stereotypically southern African-American voice to rap when she herself is Australian.

You're trying to compare someone who really has made work that is a reflection of himself while acknowledging the origins of his style and recognizing the systematic issues inherent in his success with someone who pretends to be something she's not while simultaneously distancing herself from the community she imitates.

Couldn't be more distinct examples. You should know better.

Ā 

Ā 

I do remember, but that was after he won all those Grammys in the Rap categories. The reason why he isn't hated as much, is because he is a male. Females are going to catch the brunt of all the backlash.

Ā 

Iggy isn't a natural citizen of the US, nor did she grow up here. Macklemore is.

Iggy is in a no win situation on that one.

Ā 

Nope. I'm pointing out how women are often targeted for the frustrations of any group and that other women fall in and beat up on each other, to try and stay one of the few people at the top of the male-dominated heap.

Ā 

Stop with the "you should know better". I've seen you say this same thing to other people, as well. You aren't my mother. It's my opinion and take on the situation. I do know better and I stated exactly what I know.

Remember when she tried to convince people she was a super white pop star with those RedOne tracks? Yep, me too.

she never sayd she was white tho

Ā 

she experimented with dance pop (+ that album is her worst)Ā 

Ā 

sorry for my spelling im typing quickly :air:Ā 

SexXDreams

I have to say I love that Iggy's presence is bringing up all of these necessary race discussions that had to happen at some point.

This.

Whispering

Just look up NARAS akaĀ National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences.

Ā 

These are the organisation who own and did Grammy Awards.

Many of its members are too members of the committee for Grammy voting.

Ā 

Also read this too,Ā http://articles.latimes.com/print/1999/feb/21/entertainment/ca-10032

Ā 

Ā 

It's a pretty diverse group . . . geographically, musically, ethnically.

Ā 

Ā 

Notice nothing isĀ said here about age or gender diversity...

what do artists gain from winning a grammy? just the trophy/respect or is there anything more to it?

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

what do artists gain from winning a grammy? just the trophy/respect or is there anything more to it?

respectĀ 

Willy Wonka

I do remember, but that was after he won all those Grammys in the Rap category. The reason why he isn't hated as much, is because he is a male. Females are going to catch the brunt of all the backlash.

Ā 

Iggy isn't a natural citizen of the US, nor did she grow up here. Macklemore is.

Iggy is in a no win situation on that one.

Ā 

Nope. I'm pointing out how women are often targeted for the frustrations of any group and that other women fall in and beat up on each other, to try and stay one of the few people at the top of the male-dominated heap.

Ā 

Stop with the "you should know better". I've seen you say this to other people, as well. You aren't my mother. It's my opinion and take on the situation. I do know better and I stated exactly what I know.

By saying that she's only getting the backlash because she's female is boiling down the differences between Macklemore and Iggy to gender, when in reality, the way they've approached this couldn't be more different. And hip-hop feuds are legendary and are prevalent in the hip-hop community. The difference is that women often crossover to the pop realm and these feuds get picked up by the pop media and are covered out of context. Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Lil Kim, Queen Latifah... everyone in hip-hop has feuds. It's not a gender exclusive thing, but the way it's covered by mainstream media is gendered.

Ā 

The reason he isn't hated is because he handled it much more tactfully, respectfully, and honestly than Iggy has. The reason no one ever accused Macklemore of being a minstrel show is because he never tried to be something he wasn't. He rapped in his own voice with his own flow over house and EDM. And even then, he still realized that his style had deference to the origins of hip-hop. Meanwhile, Iggy calls herself a runaway slave master.Ā 

Ā 

Furthermore, all of this started after that one dumbass Forbes article said she "ran hip-hop". At that point, "Fancy" just hit #1. There are black artists at the top of their game worth 100x as much as she is and she's running it? And you're going to tell me that had nothing to do with her race? There's so much more racial politics that are going into this. Some of the factors aren't even her fault, like that article, and I'm the first to admit that. But to say the only difference is that she's a woman is just flat out ignorant.

Ā 

Ā 

Furthermore, all of this started after that one dumbass Forbes article said she "ran hip-hop". At that point, "Fancy" just hit #1. There are black a

:air:

im happy that conversation is civil :party:Ā 

Alcina Dimitrescu

This is not the AMAs. :teehee: You don't need commercial success to win a Grammy, although that's what it seems like nowadays.

but you do need (or should need) something better than...Anaconda :awkney:

RAMROD

Notice nothing is said here about age or gender diversity...

The bloke can just forgotten to mention that.

It doesn't mean anything really.

There are women voting members.

In order to qualify as a voting member of NARAS, you must have 12 documentable released song credits, at least one of which was within the last five years.

Physical CD liner notes or the Allmusic database (powered by Rovi) are the only validation methods.

So I assume the voting members are mainly active in the music industry be it young or old.

(ļ¾‰ā—•ćƒ®ā—•)ļ¾‰āœ§*:ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ā“č‰øļ½€*) ā™”ā™”ā™”

MahoganySnitch

'Tis true.

Ā 

If Iggy Azalea wins any Grammys next year over the other's she's against in the Rap categories, that tells me everything I need to know about the committee. Was she big this year? Of course, but she doesn't hold nearly as much substance as others like Common or Donald Glover, or the other rap artists snubbed like always. Macklemore's music has substance, but The Heist can't even compare Kendrick Lamar's debut, whatsoever.Ā If J. Cole doesn't get nominated next year for his latest release, I'll lose all faith in the Grammys, because now they're clearly only here for commercial artists... aka Urban music by Black artists either being snubbed completely or being whitewashed and awarded to the high heavens.

Ā 

I think Nicki on the other hand is totally capable of bringing Grammy material work. Anaconda? Not so much, but I sometimes think even Nicki doesn't realize that she hasn't reached her full potential yet, which (to me) isn't a bad thing. I think she's capable of making even a better album. I haven't listened to TPP yet, but I hear it's very good. I still think Nicki has a lot more to bring in her next releases.

:applause:

By saying that she's only getting the backlash because she's female is boiling down the differences between Macklemore and Iggy to gender, when in reality, the way they've approached this couldn't be more different. And hip-hop feuds are legendary and are prevalent in the hip-hop community. The difference is that women often crossover to the pop realm and these feuds get picked up by the pop media and are covered out of context. Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Lil Kim, Queen Latifah... everyone in hip-hop has feuds. It's not a gender exclusive thing, but the way it's covered by mainstream media is gendered.

Ā 

The reason he isn't hated is because he handled it much more tactfully, respectfully, and honestly than Iggy has. The reason no one ever accused Macklemore of being a minstrel show is because he never tried to be something he wasn't. He rapped in his own voice with his own flow over house and EDM. And even then, he still realized that his style had deference to the origins of hip-hop. Meanwhile, Iggy calls herself a runaway slave master.Ā 

Ā 

Furthermore, all of this started after that one dumbass Forbes article said she "ran hip-hop". At that point, "Fancy" just hit #1. There are black artists at the top of their game worth 100x as much as she is and she's running it? And you're going to tell me that had nothing to do with her race? There's so much more racial politics that are going into this. Some of the factors aren't even her fault, like that article, and I'm the first to admit that. But to say the only difference is that she's a woman is just flat out ignorant.

She said WHAT :lmao:

Archived