Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

J.Cole: Iggy, Macklemore, JT, Em "snatced the sound" of black music

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MahoganySnitch

Like I said in the status: there is something to be said of avoiding hip-hop/rap by black artists because of its "thugness"/etc. and yet be willing to embrace it if it comes from those you mentioned. I guess what I'm getting at is that, to some,  these three are "safe" to over the more "Blacker" artists. Although I'm guessing people who hold this view are a minority as well (I hope). 

Phoenix

I'm really proud of Iggy. Esspecially because she's a 'white female rap and hip hop artist' when you actually see how many people think like the one that wrote those lyrics. Which is quite disappointing. Not like black people haven't "stole" any music style from white people. Double standards as usual. 

💎

monsterdreams

I don't mind them doing it if they do it well

And tbh I don't think iggy would be successful if she didn't have that sound

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

MahoganySnitch

I'm really proud of Iggy. Esspecially because she's a 'white female rap and hip hop artist' when you actually see how many people think like the one that wrote those lyrics. Which is quite disappointing. Not like black people haven't "stole" any music style from white people. Double standards as usual. 

So by saying this, you think what the lyricist is saying is possible, except the other way around? And what examples do you have of that? 

Tove Lo

Still struggling to get why a race and/or culture has to own a genre :spin: if someone who was white said black people couldn't use our "white cultured genre's", they'd be called racist and dragged to the pits of hell for all eternity.  

hop on that **** like a maniac

Phoenix

So by saying this, you think what the lyricist is saying is possible, except the other way around? And what examples do you have of that? 

That's why I used " " on the 'stole' word. :yes: 

💎

Still struggling to get why a race and/or culture has to own a genre :spin: if someone who was white said black people couldn't use our "white cultured genre's", they'd be called racist and dragged to the pits of hell for all eternity.  

because white people haven't been a victim of mass enslavement by black people are we still questioning this issue ffs 

Dominic

White people stealing black music? It is things like this (and Azealia) that are actually preventing racial equality.

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Chromatislaps

basically most music genres that are popular today are derived from "black music". Jazz, Rock n Roll, Blues, RnB, Soul, motown Pop, funk..... are all part of development of music within the black community, they became popular over time because white artists made them mainstream and "Acceptible". especially the first 60-70 years of the 20th century. the last 30-40 years that became less bigoted and more of a mix between a lot of cultures.

Look at Elvis's songs, a lot of them were covers or songs made by black artists originally. at the time he was like 80% of the music industry, so he made black music (and to a certain degree dancing) acceptible. Hound Dog is the best example..it was originally from Big Momma Thornton.

I'm not so sure were you got your receipts, but I think you might refer to the countless sampling that is done in hiphop and current pop music. by both black, white, latino, etc cultures

RAMROD

The only white rapper I care for is Eminem, end of.

He have proven over the years to the black community he is worth it.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

MahoganySnitch

That's why I used " " on the 'stole' word. :yes:

But then by saying "music style by white people" and saying it's double standards, you are saying that a race that influences said style gets to "own" it, so to speak (by your usage of "by"). If you believe that this is a double standard, then that must mean the lyricist's gripes are valid. And do you have any examples? 

Archived