💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard changing its main album chart, will count streaming services

Redstreak

Featured Posts

Right now the B200 makes it look like country music and genres appealing to old people dominate, while people barely care about pop. That's an illusion, it just people are streaming their pop and buying it piecemeal.

As long as popular new album can top the chart, I have no problem with pop albums with single success getting a boost.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pure Adrenaline

All of the major on-demand audio subscription services are considered, including Spotify, Beats Music, Google Play and Xbox Music.
Spotify is like 90% or more of that. Note that it is on-demand subscription service so that rule out VEVO.

At least they are not counting VEVO, so the streaming won't be much of a problem with the new rule how ever the other part of he rule where every 10 song sales = 1 album sale it's weak point IMO because the inflation coming from TEA will be a lot bigger than the SEA. They should have only add SEA instead of both :shrug:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Illegal downloading should not be brought into discussion at all. First of all, it is almost impossible for SoundScan or any other organization to track illegal downloads in order to measure them in a chart form. Secondly, people who are using streaming actually pay for music, while illegal downloads are mostly free in case we don't count the price people pay for their Internet connection. 

I will try to explain in another way. Let us take the HOT 100 chart. Before the introduction of streaming to the formula, HOT 100 was mainly based on Hot Digital Songs and Radio Songs charts (we are speaking of age where physical single sales are a phenomenon). After the introduction of streaming HOT 100 is based on Digital Songs, Radio Songs and Streaming Songs charts.

Billboard 200 does not have component charts, it stands alone on its own, it's like Hot Digital Songs for the HOT 100 formula. Introducing streaming there seems really odd. Why don't they create a "Streaming Albums" chart, keep Billboard 200 and introduce a new "HOT ALBUMS' chart which would use a formula to calculate popularity of albums based on Billboard 200 and Streaming Albums? 

The only thing I said was: the sales already dropped because illegal downloading. 

Because you said something about increasing sales when we stream...The only thing I said... I didn't say a thing about illegal downloading and charts...  :awkney: The only reason I said that was because: The album charts isn't really 'to trust' anymore because of illegal downloading... It's a good thing, streaming will be a part of the sales (like they already did with the singles chart).

If you didn't know: Billboard will have:

- An album chart with album sales and streams

- An album chart with album sales

So I don't see any problem.

All of the major on-demand audio subscription services are considered, including Spotify, Beats Music, Google Play and Xbox Music.

Spotify is like 90% or more of that. Note that it is on-demand subscription service so that rule out VEVO.

At least they are not counting VEVO, so the streaming won't be much of a problem with the new rule how ever the other part of he rule where every 10 song sales = 1 album sale it's weak point IMO because the inflation coming from TEA will be a lot bigger than the SEA. They should have only add SEA instead of both :shrug:

Agree about Vevo, because it spikes so high for visual not audio related reasons.

If you're gonna count streaming of random tracks, you gotta do it for itunes too or it's just bizarre inconsistency.

MikeGoneGaga

Ooooh interesting :omg: I guess this will cushion the freefall of most front-loaded albums :yes: I wonder how much this will affect artists that don't allow access to their music via streaming sites like Spotify :gum:

That is a very pointed comment.

brizoda

i'm against this new Billboard rule.

they're favorising popular bands/artists in detriment of álbum sellers (fan favorites and indie artists)

Bordeciel

Just the best thing that could happen to music industry.

Strezaming is growing and taking over, it's going to be hugeeeeeeeeee.

Wouldn't this make it easier to manipulate the charts though? :confused: Like if you put a song/album on repeat and just leave it, then it'd rack up sales :duck: I think that's already done for individual songs anyway, but for full-on albums it seems worse :omg:

Uhm...this concerns me tbh

Sounds very rigged and unfair

Archived