Featured Posts

giskardsb

Smokey Robinson says it in Poetry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9zPRVKQvIM

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xoxo cupcakke

Honestly the labeling that almost everyone is supporting on here is just ridiculous. In America, I believe if you were born i  the United States whether you are a first generation or seventh generation, black or white, male or female, what have you, you are still an American in my eyes. I don't like labeling people things like African American or Mexican American or Italian American because it's just stupid to me. It just proves that America is not a melting pot but a salad of assorted fruits. I applaud Raven and her stance on this subject. She tells it like it is. Go non barrier and lesbian Disney icon chanteuse  :golfclap:  :applause:

Assuming that all Islamic immigrants from Sweden hold on to their country of origin is a prejudice and borderline racist though. :awkney:

The majority of the children from Turkish immigrants here in Germany for example say that they definately see Germany as their home country and have no big connection to Turkey at all. Only minority does not feel that way, but the media tends to cover only a small part of the reality and conceal the rest, for the sake of money.

Good thing I didn't do that then.

She's absolutely right. Only native americans (indians) could call themselves America, and the rest would have to be French-Americans, Italian-Americans, Spanish-Americans, and so on, but they still like to be called americans, why must someone be called african just because they are black?

MelbHawker

She makes a fair point - she has every right to call herself a True American, but she cannot deny African roots. I don't think it's a big deal anyway. She's ahead of her time. I wish we lived in a world where being gay wasn't seen as something 'different'. Labels will continue to exist so long we do.

ManuelColon

She is so smart, based on the two videos i have seen from the interview she has become such an smart grown woman. She says what's right and very confident of what she's saying and i love it. I understand what she says about her African roots, she was born on the USA, not on Africa, her country is the US and she lived there all her life and it's her home, why wouldn't she be an American? It's not like she's denying her being African too (I don't consider all black people to be just African related, there are Latin black people and they are not considered as African-Latin American, you are just black and that's it, people don't have to categorize the black race)

Very good point of view and i completely congratulate her for being so smart and being able to handle her life in the best way possible.

I hate labels so I'm 100% with her. 

She's absolutely right. Only native americans (indians) could call themselves America, and the rest would have to be French-Americans, Italian-Americans, Spanish-Americans, and so on, but they still like to be called americans, why must someone be called african just because they are black?

:clap3:

She's right. If respecting your roots is important for some, Caucasians should start calling themselves Euro-Americans. That would be a comparable term (not French American or German American fyi). The overwhelming majority of the so called "African Americans" originate from the people brought in the US before 1808. They are pretty "American" imo.

Rollercoaster

Thats very narrow of her to deny her roots like that. I don't get it. Unless you're 100% Native American, if you're black you have ancestry from Africa. And I don't get why people see that as a bad thing.

Doesnt mean it matters. If everyone were to take this ridiculous attitude everyone would be confused as hell about a thinv that doesn't matter.

I dont call myself italian- scottish-romanian-gypsy-English. Im just english.

Archived