Stefani Tee

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water on Earth is older than Sun, study says

Featured Posts

Quark

o<(0_0)>o

Half of the water on Earth may be a million years older than the solar system, according to a new study.

The water came from interstellar ice in the molecular cloud that gave birth to the sun and planets in this solar system, according to the study published Friday in the journal Science. Researchers estimated between 30 and 50 percent of water in the solar system originated from the molecular cloud.

“Why this is important? If water in the early solar system was primarily inherited as ice from interstellar space, then it is likely that similar ices, along with the prebiotic organic matter that they contain, are abundant in most or all protoplanetary disks around forming stars,†said University of Michigan researcher Conel Alexander in a statement.

To determine the origin of Earth’s water, researchers said they simulated the chemistry that occurred during the formation of the solar system and examined the ratio of hydrogen to deuterium in water molecules.

"We let the chemistry evolve for a million years  the typical lifetime of a planet-forming disk  and we found that chemical processes in the disk were inefficient at making heavy water throughout the solar system," researcher Ilse Cleeves said in a statement. "What this implies is if the planetary disk didn't make the water, it inherited it. Consequently, some fraction of the water in our solar system predates the sun."

The findings suggest “abundant, organic-rich interstellar ices should probably be found in all young planetary systems,†according to Alexander.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31720826&nid=1012&title=water-on-earth-is-older-than-sun-study-says&s_cid=queue-1

Kim Kardashian

o<(0_0)>o

Interesting!

Get Kimoji, Kim Kardashian Hollywood & my Kim app on the App Store. KKW Beauty products on my shop! KUWTK Season 16 Sundays on E!

Hexxx

Stealing Economy's thunder I see :fan:

Interesting

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Kankuro

The universe recycles everything. Imagine where all the water on this planet could've been before. Maybe, billions of years ago, it was already used by an intelligent species on their own Planet somewhere in the milky way galaxy. And when their sun died, the water evaporated into space, travelled for millions of years in the form of ice, until it reached our solar system, where it landed on the young earth and formed our oceans :flutter:

Every drop of water we use is extremely old and has a long history of traveling through the Universe. Isn't that amazing? Think about it the next time you take a sip from a water bottle.

Quark

I have only seen him post about political or economic stuff. o<(0_0)>o

Stealing Economy's thunder I see :fan:

Interesting

Quark

True. Water never "dies" or dissapears. Water is always moving and changing phase between ice, liquid, and vapor.

The universe recycles everything. Imagine where all the water on this planet could've been before. Maybe, billions of years ago, it was already used by an intelligent species on their own Planet somewhere in the milky way galaxy. And when their sun died, the water evaporated into space, travelled for millions of years in the form of ice, until it reached our solar system, where it landed on the young earth and formed our oceans :flutter:

JFK

oxygen and hydrogen are one of the first elements in the universe. Sun is made of complex ones. 

Economy

True. Water never "dies" or dissapears. Water is always moving and changing phase between ice, liquid, and vapor.

actually not exactly... Matter can be transformed into energy and energy into matter. But the amount if substance in the universe remains the same. Thats what doesnt change

But elements, coumpounds etc under extreme pressure can change into something else. It changes the at the atomic level

I see no reason why it cant be done with water. At the very least break away the bond between the two elements (oxygen and hydrogen)

Every drop of water we use is extremely old and has a long history of traveling through the Universe. Isn't that amazing? Think about it the next time you take a sip from a water bottle.

well i guess it would be from multiple sources

U cant say a specific cup of water i drink was once someones pee while the cup my dad drank was someone elses

The particles mix together in the vast oceans and each individual particle at this point has its own unique history

Same for space. A tiny bit may have come from that race billions of years ago. A tiny bit from whatever etc

Quark

True, but I was talking in general. And in reference to Earth, those extreme cases of pressure usually won't happen.

actually not exactly... Matter can be transformed into energy and energy into matter. But the amount if substance in the universe remains the same. Thats what doesnt change

But elements, coumpounds etc under extreme pressure can change into something else. It changes the at the atomic level

I see no reason why it cant be done with water. At the very least break away the bond between the two elements (oxygen and hydrogen)

well i guess it would be from multiple sources

U cant say a specific cup of water i drink was once someones pee while the cup my dad drank was someone elses

The particles mix together in the vast oceans and each individual particle at this point has its own unique history

Same for space. A tiny bit may have come from that race billions of years ago. A tiny bit from whatever etc

Miker

Don't you just love.....what if? Theories are just that but they keep us thinking. :shrug:

Mars..........or bust!