Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

MTV on Katy Perry's new video: Her ARTPOP could mean anything

Henry

Featured Posts

She may see it in her best interests to follow the label's idea of what will make her more successful and chooses not to challenge this. She may enjoy being famous, there's really nothing wrong with that. She could even be afraid that if the direction she's hoping to go in doesn't work out, it could be the end of her career. That's a risk she potentially doesn't want to make, because even if she manages to follow her artistry for the next album and she loses her global appeal because of it, there's no guarantee that it will be even good, critically. It's wise for her to be safe now.

See, I don't think it is. It was the right time, she had just finished two successfull album cycles... Even popstars should be ballsy and take risks, that's called integrity. A singer's third album is often a turning point, it's famously known as the more mature effort, because that's when they get a little risky. They got enough cred so that they can push their vision. A first effort is always gonna have compromises but here, I don't see her flying solo or going her own route ever. I don't know her enough to know if she even wants to stray from her bubblegum path tho.

But you know what? I was writing my post detailing my views but I realized it was pointless. Maybe I need to start accepting Katy for what she is. I don't personally like it and I do thinks she lacks genuineness, but maybe I can accept her.

You know, 90% of the time I don't express my views on her because I don't like being negative. I have to admit I'm terribly pressed that she's getting success for watered-down, cliché, marketed ideas when brilliant artists (who most of the time originated those ideas) don't get the same kind of recognition. I guess it's more of a problem of society rather than Katy Perry but she embodies that: mindlessness over matter. The world gets artists and popstars confused, especially when popstars start using art references/doing obscure shtick.

I love that you make the difference between the two, and it's great that you can enjoy both and take things away from both. I wish people would do that, and if they couldn't, I wish society would show them that one is higher than the other. There's a limited amount of people who are given such exposure, and a limited amount of time/place/energy to give them that. Artists are entertainer and, sometimes popstars are artists and we shouldn't live in a world where mindless popstars are more successfull/exposed than artists.

I'm not sure if popstars are mistaken for artists or artists get mistaken for popstars, but I do know that people view Katy and Gaga as equals and I wrongfully thought you did too, I'm sorry.

My problem that urged me to write that post though is, I think it's a waste when people use art to get success when they don't understand it. They get to look deep and educated when it's all fabricated smoke and mirrors. Art can be a real comfort for the soul, it truly can elevate your understanding of the world and your philisophy of life, that's the intention of ARTPOP. I find it almost disrespectful when Katy uses it that way. It's like art is a prop, that hair and dress are props for her to plug her song. It's not used for anything else than its graphic elements and to make her look edgy. The intention and meaning of the work is the key in art, and here the intention offends me a little. It's like people wearing Nirvana/Ramones/Rolling Stones shirts without knowing the band, just because Topshop carries it. They miss out on so much when it's under their nose, it's kinda sad.

I don't want her to become something she's not, I did like California Dream, it was colorful and fun and even tho it didn't make any strides of any kind, it was entertaining. But I get the sense that she tries to encroach on a territory she knows nothing about.

(Ouh and I actually like the argument here because I like to understand what people see in things I don't like or don't think are "worth my time". You managed to change my perspective a little.)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaga wears the Mona Lisa and it's arty and edgy.

Katy wears Mondrian and she's uninspired and basic.

Y'all couldn't seem more pressed.

Quartz

I lold a little bit :emma:

Not mtv giving gagz promo in Katy's own article  :megaflop:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

Benji

Gaga wears the Mona Lisa and it's arty and edgy.

Katy wears Mondrian and she's uninspired and basic.

Y'all couldn't seem more pressed.

The fact Gaga's is sold on stalls as bath robes for pennies and Katy's is probably worth more than the G.U.Y. video too :sharon:

Everyone needs to stop being pathetic and feeling happy Katy might have possibly been shaded, there's more to life than living for shade :Sharon:

thatboyisarobot

I don't even know what to say. It's such a shame to see a genuine Queer artist like Gaga get beat down over and over by the media, then watch a non-Queer artist like Katy use watered-down versions of her ideas and get sales/commercial success for it. I would hope that more than one media outlet will call her out on this.

I don't even know what to say. It's such a shame to see a genuine Queer artist like Gaga get beat down over and over by the media, then watch a non-Queer artist like Katy use watered-down versions of her ideas and get sales/commercial success for it. I would hope that more than one media outlet will call her out on this.

Gay agenda, eh?

:lmao:

StrawberryBlond

It's clearly not a reference to a painting or a designer dress - as noted by the hairstyle, Katy's channelling a Japanese geisha look with a modern twist, likely for the "getting our nails did all Japanesy" line. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people just read way too much into stuff. Katy always goes for the cliches and literal humour. I doubt there's hidden references here that we're unaware of.

DeleteMyAccount

It's clearly not a reference to a painting or a designer dress - as noted by the hairstyle, Katy's channelling a Japanese geisha look with a modern twist, likely for the "getting our nails did all Japanesy" line. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people just read way too much into stuff. Katy always goes for the cliches and literal humour. I doubt there's hidden references here that we're unaware of.

Actually her dress is very reminiscent of a famous painter/painting.kit-yel-geometric2-435.jpg

1921 painting by Dutch artist Piet Mondrian

AyaKara

forthcoming “This Is How We Do†video

1. roar

2. uncon...

3. dark horse

4. birthday

5. tihwd

#Justice4Birthday 

#justice4internationalsmile tbh

Archived