Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Retro build: Disco Stick

Voltaire

Featured Posts

Haha, I suppose I mean one of two things, either let me know when you are ready to go buy the stuff and I'll let you know what to get, OR if you're ready now give me time to write up the whole thing because it'll take a little while.

Oops sorry...I guess I'm ready now :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Voltaire

omg.

you're the only one who've done it right.

one BLACK LARGE stick. and the metal stick inside it.

That's exactly why I took the time to do it! I kept looking and looking for a replica and couldn't find one that was close to hers. So when i went to home depot and found the basics I knew it was much easier than what I think others thought it would be. I added the leather part as my own touch (I think she'd approve) The hardest part was getting the inner silver stick to have a point and now its basically weaponized.

Oops sorry...I guess I'm ready now :)

Can I have a few days? I am going to search my other computer for pictures of the build in progress and I am going to visit my home depot so I can get the measurements off of the piping. I never thought I'd be giving directions so I never kept any of this info.

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

That's exactly why I took the time to do it! I kept looking and looking for a replica and couldn't find one that was close to hers. So when i went to home depot and found the basics I knew it was much easier than what I think others thought it would be. I added the leather part as my own touch (I think she'd approve) The hardest part was getting the inner silver stick to have a point and now its basically weaponized.

Can I have a few days? I am going to search my other computer for pictures of the build in progress and I am going to visit my home depot so I can get the measurements off of the piping. I never thought I'd be giving directions so I never kept any of this info.

Oh sure...I'm not gonna rush you... :) your doing me a favor after all

Thank You!

Voltaire

Oh sure...I'm not gonna rush you... :) your doing me a favor after all

Thank You!

Absolutely! This is what fan sites are all about.

Voltaire

The glasses in your avatar are also awesome.

Thank you, I didn't make the glasses. Thems drag queen glasses that I borrowed. But they'd be an easy enough make from those same crystals. Glue-gunnin'.

Bambino

Thank you, I didn't make the glasses. Thems drag queen glasses that I borrowed. But they'd be an easy enough make from those same crystals. Glue-gunnin'.

If you can make one, please tell me how to do it. It looks amazing.

Voltaire

If you can make one, please tell me how to do it. It looks amazing.

Buy your "base glasses" in this case you can see they are a wrap lens that goes across the bridge and has a fade from very dark to light. The actual glasses she wore weren't a lens at all, but solid plastic with holes at regular intervals. I love realistic builds and authenticity, but If you can't do it exact then you may as well just do another "version"-- which is how I did my stick. Buy the plastic "crystals" which are actually pretty hard to describe to any retail clerk unless they know exactly what you mean. Sometimes they sell them at pet stores for aquariums. I am almost positive that these ones were from JoAnn's. Then you'll actually not want to use a glue gun at all- that will get stringy, clumpy, push your crystals too far off the surface of the lens, and most unfortunate of all CLOUDY. Instead you'll want to use a clear drying strong adhesive and dip each crystal in and stick the sucker on. If you have clippers or an exacto knife you can slice off the back of the jewel to make a flat surface for gluing but you can usually manage not to. The glue I recommend is E6000. Its perfect for this sort of thing.

After searching forever, I found a link to some gems that I think will work for you. You take for granted how hard something like this is to find until you can't figure out what your google search terms should be. Turns out in this instance, its "Clear Pirate Jewels" (it dawned on me that those little party-store style magazines always sell fake gold coins and stuff for parties. Don't get the ones that are faceted, also don't get ones that look like a structured shape (you want the more organic shaped ones).

http://www.centuryno...Added=Item_List

If you have any other questions let me know.

Bambino

Wow, thanks bb, you've been really helpful. I guess the most difficult part for now is to figure how to get the crystals, I'll have to look for them in several shops. ;)

Hey, i was just wonerding if i could have the list maybe before the Grammy's....its okay if you cant....and i dont mean to rush you...I'm just so excited for the Grammy's

Voltaire

Hey, i was just wonerding if i could have the list maybe before the Grammy's....its okay if you cant....and i dont mean to rush you...I'm just so excited for the Grammy's

Here are some things you'll need to get started:

Go to Home Depot and in the metal piping and tubing section you'll need to pick out your outer tube. It can be any color but you don't want it very thick. I happened to get a copper one. You'll be getting this cut to the length you'll want your disco stick. Keep in mind that the entire length will be increased by the size of the crystal light.

You will also need to find an inner pipe. This time you'll want it out of aluminum or something similar. It will need to be silver in color. You'll want this to fit inside your larger tube. The better the fit, as long is it slides in and out still, the better. You'll want this one cut much shorter. Use pictures of the actual disco stick to show you how long you'll want it. (Always remember that you can always take more length off, but not put it back on).

Once you have these two tubes, everything else hinges off of them. I also bought two small plumbing fittings. If you go to that section you'll be able to find a small little cap to go on the bottom of the outer tube, sorta like what a cane has on the bottom. You can also get a small connector that will fit right over top of your outer tube, and will allow your inner tube to still pass through it. I'll check and see if I have in photos if these two pieces.

After that, buy yourself some faux leather at Joannes, as well as a curved needle and some thick upholstery thread. The leather should be only a few inches wide but you'll want it tall enough to cover all but the top few inches of the outer pipe. (The top few inches end up covered in crystals) If you need help with the stitching let me know.

If any part of this doesn't make sense feel free to ask for more info- Its a pretty involved project that I did by the seat of my pants.

Here are some things you'll need to get started:

Go to Home Depot and in the metal piping and tubing section you'll need to pick out your outer tube. It can be any color but you don't want it very thick. I happened to get a copper one. You'll be getting this cut to the length you'll want your disco stick. Keep in mind that the entire length will be increased by the size of the crystal light.

You will also need to find an inner pipe. This time you'll want it out of aluminum or something similar. It will need to be silver in color. You'll want this to fit inside your larger tube. The better the fit, as long is it slides in and out still, the better. You'll want this one cut much shorter. Use pictures of the actual disco stick to show you how long you'll want it. (Always remember that you can always take more length off, but not put it back on).

Once you have these two tubes, everything else hinges off of them. I also bought two small plumbing fittings. If you go to that section you'll be able to find a small little cap to go on the bottom of the outer tube, sorta like what a cane has on the bottom. You can also get a small connector that will fit right over top of your outer tube, and will allow your inner tube to still pass through it. I'll check and see if I have in photos if these two pieces.

After that, buy yourself some faux leather at Joannes, as well as a curved needle and some thick upholstery thread. The leather should be only a few inches wide but you'll want it tall enough to cover all but the top few inches of the outer pipe. (The top few inches end up covered in crystals) If you need help with the stitching let me know.

If any part of this doesn't make sense feel free to ask for more info- Its a pretty involved project that I did by the seat of my pants.

thank you so much! I cant wait to start :)

B5tVj.jpg

I bought my metal pipes and the bottom stopper but forgot the connector. :) I'm so excited And I was wondering if these looked about right? The smaller one is a little bit smaller and is aluminum and the bigger one is steel. I have to cut the smaller one down, but I was wondering how much smaller I should make it then the big one... Both are about 3 feet at the moment and I want the big one to stay that way (mines going to be quite large) but i was wondering how much to shave off of the small one... Thanks :)

Archived