Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

It's unfair to just say "The music has dropped in quality"

Tropico

Featured Posts

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
djBuffoon

You didn't need to clarify your point, I get it crystal clear, I think YOU don't understand MINE.

Albert Einstein was a genius. The ancient Mayan civilization was genius. Steve Jobs was a genius. Lady gaga is not a genius because she can write a catchy song--that is absolutely absurd to think otherwise and an insult to actually ingenious people of the past.

Sure it's subjective I SUPPOSE; however, you're going to get a lot of strange looks if you call a lady gaga song's chorus GENIUS in real life. Bohemian Rhapsody is the closest you'll get to GENIUS in music.

And I don't even know why I'm arguing it; I just think genius is such a horrible, horrible word to use so loosely lmfao

You are extremely combative.

jonathan88

"Born This Way" is my favorite album and I love ARTPOP so much so I don't see how people can say that.  I love all of her albums in different ways.

You are extremely combative.

Or, when I see something that sparks a debate or something interesting, I just comment on it?

A couple other people commented about the "genius" comment too, not just me, I just brought it up

djBuffoon

Or, when I see something that sparks a debate or something interesting, I just comment on it?

A couple other people commented about the "genius" comment too, not just me, I just brought it up

You're free to disagree, but it's coming off as extremely aggressive. Like you're shouting at me. lol

djBuffoon

Great melodies, catchy tunes, terrible lyrics.

? Her lyrics have never been outstanding, with some exceptions. She has her own over-the-top, evocative way of expressing her ideas. AP is no exception.

? Her lyrics have never been outstanding, with some exceptions. She has her own over-the-top, evocative way of expressing her ideas. AP is no exception.

This is what I've been saying for a really long time. I've never considered her a great songwriter. Of course has some exceptions (lines or whole songs, but in general, she's not a great songwriter).

She can write a really great pop song though anyway :)

tokyodisko

We'll never know what happened between Gaga and Troy. For all we know, she could have fought tooth and nail to have ARTPOP sound exactly like this. To my knowledge, she hasn't indicated otherwise once. So instead of trying to assume what she wanted, what he wanted, where she compromised, etc, I find it more useful to discuss the album that we have.

As for the people at pub, I really don't know what to do with that. Would hardly be the first time that someone has criticized the album without really hearing it. I personally know many people who genuinely love it and know all of the lyrics by heart. I also know some other people who have shít on it, but when I discussed it further with them, it became clear that (surprise) they didn't know the album at all. Who knows.

I don't think that them not liking it as much means they didn't know the album at all. Not many people like music that has to grow on them. Hell, I don't even like that. Most of ARTPOP didn't grip me from the beginning like her stuff used to. Maybe that was or waste the case. However I think the disappointing sales figures definitely show that people were not interested in her music this time, not counting the ones who didn't like her because of tabloids- though I think that is generally an excuse. If anything Miley got the ****tiest tabloid year and still managed some hits. 

But oh well. It happens. She just wasn't getting the attention she wanted from this. 

tokyodisko

I disagree! I mean, she was a songwriter before she was Gaga and she was praised for her lyrics on TF/TFM in most reviews, BTW was mixed, but ARTPOP's lyrics were often criticized heavily.

I think she is a talented lyricist when she is writing more fun music, but BTW... the song... she said she wrote it very quickly and you could tell and I felt that way about a lot of ARTPOP. It's like she doesn't know how to make a point without excess embellishments that add nothing to the song, which is hardly what pop music likes generally. 

djBuffoon

I don't think that them not liking it as much means they didn't know the album at all. Not many people like music that has to grow on them. Hell, I don't even like that. Most of ARTPOP didn't grip me from the beginning like her stuff used to. Maybe that was or waste the case. However I think the disappointing sales figures definitely show that people were not interested in her music this time, not counting the ones who didn't like her because of tabloids- though I think that is generally an excuse. If anything Miley got the ****tiest tabloid year and still managed some hits. 

But oh well. It happens. She just wasn't getting the attention she wanted from this. 

My friend, I'm telling you that the people I'm referring to didn't know the album, maybe two songs. And I know even more people who are just not interested in her anymore, has little to do with the music she's putting out. A lot of folks that I socialize with on a daily basis have not heard the album. Believe me, I've asked them these things lol. Regardless, I trust my taste implicitly and until the next release, I'm confident in what I consider to be her best work. Perhaps her next effort will appeal to you more.

And did Miley see a fraction of the backlash that Gaga got? I don't believe so.

djBuffoon

I disagree! I mean, she was a songwriter before she was Gaga and she was praised for her lyrics on TF/TFM in most reviews, BTW was mixed, but ARTPOP's lyrics were often criticized heavily.

I think she is a talented lyricist when she is writing more fun music, but BTW... the song... she said she wrote it very quickly and you could tell and I felt that way about a lot of ARTPOP. It's like she doesn't know how to make a point without excess embellishments that add nothing to the song, which is hardly what pop music likes generally. 

Her lyrics have always maintained the exact level of quality to me, and I have yet to be proven otherwise. I don't consider them her strong suit, but I appreciate that she has her own charming way of expressing her ideas. As for the AP lyrics... oh dear, we could go back and forth all day, but with the exception of "DWUW", "Donatella", and "Jewels", I'm sorry, I have zero problem with the album from a songwriting standpoint. I have listened to the album countless time, and there's no way I'm going to budge on that.

tokyodisko

My friend, I'm telling you that the people I'm referring to didn't know the album, maybe two songs. And I know even more people who are just not interested in her anymore, has little to do with the music she's putting out. A lot of folks that I socialize with on a daily basis have not heard the album. Believe me, I've asked them these things lol. Regardless, I trust my taste implicitly and until the next release, I'm confident in what I consider to be her best work. Perhaps her next effort will appeal to you more.

And did Miley see a fraction of the backlash that Gaga got? I don't believe so.

That's fine. It is all personal opinion, but from what people have heard I don't think people were interested. That's all. She can't drop off the radar and come back with an album tbh. That's not how the pop scene works. You have to stay out there somehow. 

I'm sure from what we have been hearing lately that the next album will be more more level and I'm very excited, though it will no doubt be panned by fans. 

I think she did... I mean the VMAs alone in number probably outweighed the negative articles about Gaga. No one really cared about those aside from people who like sensationalize tabloid news and Gaga fans and that is probably why it seems like she was so targeted. I see more positive comments online about Gaga than Miley everyday. 

Her lyrics have always maintained the exact level of quality to me, and I have yet to be proven otherwise. I don't consider them her strong suit, but I appreciate that she has her own charming way of expressing her ideas. As for the AP lyrics... oh dear, we could go back and forth all day, but with the exception of "DWUW", "Donatella", and "Jewels", I'm sorry, I have zero problem with the album from a songwriting standpoint. I have listened to the album countless time, and there's no way I'm going to budge on that.

I'm not asking you to. lol I actually didn't mind Jewels N' Drugs, because the song was supposed to be ridiculous and it accomplished it. I also have a soft spot for rapga. Aura and Donatella are her worst lyrics ever imo. 

djBuffoon

That's fine. It is all personal opinion, but from what people have heard I don't think people were interested. That's all. She can't drop off the radar and come back with an album tbh. That's not how the pop scene works. You have to stay out there somehow.

I'm sure from what we have been hearing lately that the next album will be more more level and I'm very excited, though it will no doubt be panned by fans.

I think she did... I mean the VMAs alone in number probably outweighed the negative articles about Gaga. No one really cared about those aside from people who like sensationalize tabloid news and Gaga fans and that is probably why it seems like she was so targeted. I see more positive comments online about Gaga than Miley everyday.

I'm not asking you to. lol I actually didn't mind Jewels N' Drugs, because the song was supposed to be ridiculous and it accomplished it. I also have a soft spot for rapga. Aura and Donatella are her worst lyrics ever imo.

Tbh I'm at the point where I don't even care if she makes it on Billboard top 100 again. I know some fans might find that insulting, but it's quite the opposite. I have too much respect for her as a talent to wonder whether or not everyone else gets it. The pop scene is far too inconsistent and ruthless, and I want her to keep exploring and follow her bliss even if it alienates everyone who just wants a hit. She has too much potential left in her to squander it for the sake of chart numbers. A lot of people weren't here for ARTPOP, regardless of their reasons or their actual exposure to it. That's fine. I could honestly write a book on why it's fantastic.

On the contrary, the day after VMAs, I saw more and more people all of a sudden referring to Miley as an artist (give me a break). Meanwhile, Gaga was criticized left and right, and that particular train didn't stop for months. But maybe we just happened to read different articles.

"Aura" I don't have a problem with. It's insane and bizarre because she wanted it to be. Same with "Venus". It's not constructed like a typical song, it's one evocative, campy bit of imagery after another, it makes me feel high (which, I'm assuming, was her goal). Could her lyrics be better? I suppose so. I've been saying that since 2008. and there's always room for improvement. But I have no issue with these lyrics in particular. In fact, most of the tracks on the album work (for me) like a charm. "Bad Kids", on all counts, was worse than anything on this album. And I know you feel differently.

Archived