💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Drowning, Not Waving: The Bitter End of Lady Gaga's Career

PigInsideAHuman

Featured Posts

Emvee

But when you've built your career on these things and then you abandon them, that can be problematic, and that's what the author is saying.

It's problematic because you choose to unhealthily dwell on the past. 

What the author fails to a--lyze is that "persona's" relationship to the timeline of her real life. Maybe then they'd realize that it's inevitable for her career to switch gears too. 

If it's problematic for the audience, then that's the audience's problem. Gaga's not stupid. She knows people are dropping off the wagon and there's really nothing she can do about that. It's not her problem if her life and vision are no longer something relatable or entertaining for her audience. As an artist, she'll move on, whether in a stadium or in a bar.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redstreak

Isn't it more damning that so many fans hated it... she makes stuff for her fans not the media and public right? This makes zero sense to me. Shes not fading away but she has changed a great deal, she doesn't seem to be back on track still...the level of promotion of ARTPOP is staggeringly low, anyone remember BTW, it was everywhere and popular from the start, you heard songs on the radio all the time. I've heard GUY ONE time on the radio. Applause gets decent play but its still sad. Its not that she did anything wrong...we just havent been as receptive to it as the people on this site want to believe. 

It's a post album single from an album that's already been ripped to shreds for lack of commercial success. At this point they've pretty much figured out (and rightfully so) that there's not much they can do for this particular era anymore. No matter how much money or promo they'd want to throw into it, it's got no momentum for any of that to have an affect. At this point we can be ecstatic that the tour is coming, probably expect the same things commercial wise should an ACT II definitely be released, and hope that a fresh clean slate with the next project can turn things in the major regards to what fans want. :shrug:

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

LadyCaligula

Written by some pressed twink.

Nobody but nobody in the real world notices anything about her dancing. Ever.

Oh, and tell me more about how Greece is in Egypt....

Not to be a **** but lots of people do notice her dancing is poor...in comparisson with Beyonce or her own dancers...because SHE IS ACTUALLY SINGING and cant really dance heavily and sing at the same time. Id rather have perfect voice than distracting moves anyday. BTW...there is some merit to the Egypt is Greece thing. At the time of Cleopatra, Greece was quite Hellenic. In fact, her family were Greek...Alexander the Great and all that. Ptolemy etc. She likely dressed in more of a greek style and possibly had reddish hair and not the weird bob shes always pictured in. Ever see her bust...very Greek.

Essence

Oh goodie I was waiting for someone to bring out the fake fans thing
I wasn't talking about you specifically.

What I mean is some of the people in this thread and in general on GGD seem to have completely given up on Gaga, so why are they even here? They don't enjoy her music anymore and have nothing positive to take from her work and certainly nothing positive to say about it. How is that being a fan?

Willy Wonka

The "mystique" behind her career was never going to last though :spin:

And sis why am I seeing you in this thread page after page jumping at every opportunity to agree with the Gaga hate? :spin:

Because that exact sentiment.

It's not all Gaga hate. To paint it like that is so simplistic.

If nothing else, I try to play devils advocate. I try and bring up different points.

I don't need to prove how much I love Gaga. I'm comfortable enough to be able to criticize without compromising my love of her.

When I see people demonizing those who criticize, I go in.

exoskeleton123

I kind of want to know what Gaga thinks about this article. Sometimes it's good to listen to some criticism even if it is harsh. 

LadyCaligula

It's a post album single from an album that's already been ripped to shreds for lack of commercial success. At this point they've pretty much figured out (and rightfully so) that there's not much they can do for this particular era anymore. No matter how much money or promo they'd want to throw into it, it's got no momentum for any of that to have an affect. At this point we can be ecstatic that the tour is coming, probably expect the same things commercial wise should an ACT II definitely be released, and hope that a fresh clean slate with the next project can turn things in the major regards to what fans want. :shrug:

That in itself is quite hypocritical. All she cares about is her fans...she harps that nonstop and although the album isnt a commercial success shes always said thats not what she cares about...she could do more 'promo' just to interact with fans and be visible instead of admitting defeat if you look at it that way. It IS hypocritical on that front... I dont think she needs to throw tons of money into it but hell show up somewhere, talk to fans. Do little videos, Gagavisions etc. DO something...

Weasel

Even though this era has been a mess people are soooo overreacting. That goes for the media and the fans. Sure, ARTPOP failed to get the attention most of us wanted, but it still shifted 2+M copies. Now please tell me why that's a sign of being over. I am confident Gaga will pull herself together, whether that will be this year, next year, it will happen. I hope some are prepared for her opening weeks in 10 years with less than 100.000, enjoy while it lasts. 

Willy Wonka

It's problematic because you choose to unhealthily dwell on the past. 

What the author fails to a--lyze is that "persona's" relationship to the timeline of her real life. Maybe then they'd realize that it's inevitable for her career to switch gears too. 

If it's problematic for the audience, then that's the audience's problem. Gaga's not stupid. She knows people are dropping off the wagon and there's really nothing she can do about that. Itt's not her problem if her life and vision is no longer something relatable or entertaining for her audience. As an artist, she'll move on, whether in a stadium or in a bar.

Great! That's not what this article is about.

This is about her commercial success.

I will always be here for Gaga. She's brought me so much happiness and strength and stability.

But I think criticism of her career is totally valid. She's made some questionable decisions that have resulted in a falling from grace. I think it's okay to talk about that. I'm not negatively affected by that. It doesn't affect how I view Gaga the artist. I love her all the same.

FrankGutz

But when you've built your career on these things and then you abandon them, that can be problematic, and that's what the author is saying.

people change, you're not gonna be the same in 6 or 7 years, is normal & healthy change & evolve, and you all have to deal with it, like it or not, if you dont like it there are out there a lot of female artist who can give you what you looking for

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

DrewStevens

All the bull**** about Terry and R. Kelly being a reason why she failed has a simple response: Wrecking Ball.

Wrecking Ball's music video had Terry's name on it and the video owns a record. Some people may care about this guys but the common population doesn't care about Terry or R. Kelly.

This can have some reasonable points but Gaga has been dealing with hate since day one. She has always been a copycat, an attention wh0re, boring, nothing new, then she got gay, but then she is using gays, she is satanic, illuminati, too skinny, too fat, d--g addict, her music is only about her born This way sh!t, now her music is only about herself, she is too weird, she is too normal...

Remember when hating Britney was a trend because watching her die was "funny"? She was so irrelevant that people had the need to write about her.

Redstreak

That in itself is quite hypocritical. All she cares about is her fans...she harps that nonstop and although the album isnt a commercial success shes always said thats not what she cares about...she could do more 'promo' just to interact with fans and be visible instead of admitting defeat if you look at it that way. It IS hypocritical on that front... I dont think she needs to throw tons of money into it but hell show up somewhere, talk to fans. Do little videos, Gagavisions etc. DO something...

It depends on what you're wanting from her. That stuff works well with bolstering a relationship with the fans she already has (which I wouldn't mind having more Gagavisions, she's always so cute in them) but does little in the commercial aspect of her career which is what I thought we were discussing.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Rollercoaster

Not to be a **** but lots of people do notice her dancing is poor...in comparisson with Beyonce or her own dancers...because SHE IS ACTUALLY SINGING and cant really dance heavily and sing at the same time. Id rather have perfect voice than distracting moves anyday. BTW...there is some merit to the Egypt is Greece thing. At the time of Cleopatra, Greece was quite Hellenic. In fact, her family were Greek...Alexander the Great and all that. Ptolemy etc. She likely dressed in more of a greek style and possibly had reddish hair and not the weird bob shes always pictured in. Ever see her bust...very Greek.

The only people that notice her dancing are people with a more than average interest in dancing. I don't notice anything wrong with her dancing - no singer keeps up exactly like her dancers. The only people complaining are a minority of dance students, dancers, or people obsessed with dancing.

As for Greece/Egypt... no.

Willy Wonka

I wasn't talking about you specifically.

What I mean is some of the people in this thread and in general on GGD seem to have completely given up on Gaga, so why are they even here? They don't enjoy her music anymore and have nothing positive to take from her work and certainly nothing positive to say about it. How is that being a fan?

I'm not overly negative, but I like being critical. I personally fell in love with Gaga during the TFM era. Her work was perfect to me, and IMO she had so much potential to be my all-time favorite artist. But she evolved in a direction that currently isn't exactly my style (except for a handful of songs). But I still love her and I still see that same potential in her, which is why I continue to follow her every move.

So I'm here because I still love her as a person and as a creative thinker, but not necessarily because of her most recent work. And I'll post 'negative' feedback on her work whenever I feel like it adds something to a discussion. But overall I try to focus on the positives nowadays, I used to be way more negative.

Interludicrous posted this in another thread and I thought it explained things so well.

Because that exact sentiment.

It's not all Gaga hate. To paint it like that is so simplistic.

If nothing else, I try to play devils advocate. I try and bring up different points.

I don't need to prove how much I love Gaga. I'm comfortable enough to be able to criticize without compromising my love of her.

When I see people demonizing those who criticize, I go in.

Unfortunately you're going in when people like me are demonising this "critic" as nothing more than a hater which given the drivel written in it is a fair observation. Billboard articles criticise Gaga from time to time but I don't condemn it because it's constructively written not like this garbage posted in here.

Archived