Die With A Smile Music Video Banner

Why do a lot of people seem to hate Dope?

IAmTheX

Featured Posts

Miel

From the opinions that I've seen based on ARTPOP's other songs, I think people really dislike it because it kills the 'party' vibe.

I don't know, that's exactly the reason why I love it. Especially after MJH, which in its own thematic content is disconcerting, the full-stop really emphasizes the story behind Dope. It's an incredible song, probably the best on the album and one of her best overall.

Sad that neither Dope nor IWBWY made the tour, though.

3 points in and ready for more

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Radio Ga Ga

It's my 4th favorite on ARTPOP, under the 3 singles. I think people hate it because they can't relate to it, well I can relate to the metaphorical meaning of the song, 'cause I don't do d--gs

Battle 4 Ur Life

Dope slays.

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”

The lyrics are awkward and clunky. The central "need you more than dope" hook just doesn't work.

Honestly, it's not THAT bad. I can listen to it all the way through if I'm in the mood. But the chorus still makes me cringe.

MonsterofFame

I didn't like Dope mostly because it's too dramatic and eerie. Rather than feel sad, I get a bit creeped out when I listen to it.. it's like the difference between hearing about your friend's problems vs. them actually crying to you about their problems. Since the song has minimal production, it's hard to ignore this and like it just for the song itself.

Everything I just said was 100% intentional when Gaga made it -- she wanted it to be a dramatic song about addictions with minimal music. I just don't like it.

Archived