Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Not a joke: In the industry/GP mindset, did katy perry replace lady G?

leoj

Featured Posts

giskardsb

Gaga made everybody step up their game a bit, this is a good thing.

There is room for all for them.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the GP, Lady Gaga will always be bigger than Katy Perry.  This was evident during when they announced the nominees for Best International Female at the Brits this year.  Gaga got the biggest audience scream probably of the whole night even though she wasn't even there.  And people were even chanting her name when they were about to announce the winner.  To the GP, it ain't that much about sales, its more about impact the star has on pop culture.  Gaga has become a household name, like Freud in the sense that when people see something crazy/weird they say "That's so gaga" just like people say "That's so Freudian".  Gaga's already solidified her place in the industry, and its impossible for anyone to "replace" her.  Katy tops the charts, but that is all she does.  Her hits are forgettful and have little to no impact.  I'd compare Katy's music to fast-food, its easy to digest and access so the GP gobbles it up but gaga's music is more like fine dining food, when you get a taste of it you know its quality, thus making it more memorable.  

I'm so glad I'm not a KatyCat that came across this post, if so I would be devastated. You just BURNT IT.

Oh and I NEED to watch that moment during the Brits!!!

giskardsb

gaga so far has stayed relevant.. but this industry is different.. her BIG BREAKS.. imo have affected her.. success.. dramatically.. the first one in 2010.. was imo huge.. for her radio success.. then the 2012 one.. imo where she went poof.. and it was all katy and rihanna on the radio for 4 years straight.. that changed a lot for gaga imo.. s

all these ellipses.... make me read ....your posts.. in the voice... of William Shatner.

Stefani328

I sense about two or three rabid Katy fans on here coming out in full force.

Katy will never be Gaga Great.

chromatikev

To the GP, Lady Gaga will always be bigger than Katy Perry.  This was evident during when they announced the nominees for Best International Female at the Brits this year.  Gaga got the biggest audience scream probably of the whole night even though she wasn't even there.  And people were even chanting her name when they were about to announce the winner.  To the GP, it ain't that much about sales, its more about impact the star has on pop culture.  Gaga has become a household name, like Freud in the sense that when people see something crazy/weird they say "That's so gaga" just like people say "That's so Freudian".  Gaga's already solidified her place in the industry, and its impossible for anyone to "replace" her.  Katy tops the charts, but that is all she does.  Her hits are forgettful and have little to no impact.  I'd compare Katy's music to fast-food, its easy to digest and access so the GP gobbles it up but gaga's music is more like fine dining food, when you get a taste of it you know its quality, thus making it more memorable.  

Wow. That was just... :worship:

Dean Winchester

I really wish the GP felt that way..

and I wish that what u said is and was true.. but.. I mean.. if gaga is fine dining and she costs as much as fast food.. why would you ever pick fast food?

Cuz its more easier to access and digest.  Katy's music is much more easier to understand ("digest") and radio-friendly ("accessible") than gagas.  Katy's music and art doesn't require much thinking and is not different from the "norm" which means more people are comfortable in accepting it.  But gaga is more provocative with her art in the way that her intention is not for u to like it, it's to make you think.  She want you to be a bit disgusted yet intrigued by what she does.  

I am not a katy fan at all..  I definately do not support what her and her label and dr luke are doing, which is just bubble gum pop, simply because I really wish gaga, who still tried to push the boundaries of pop, who is tyring to tell the world, that POP DOESN'T HAVE TO BE MANUFACTURED, IT CAN BE ART TOO, was more successful

No. But I will say yes if only she can made a music as epic as gaga did, I can't imagine she writes song like Aura for example.

DrewStevens

you know.. you have a point..

but the thing is madonna.. had a huge career.. and remained mega relevant.. from the 80s to well into the 90s and even some of the 2000s...

gaga so far has stayed relevant.. but this industry is different.. her BIG BREAKS.. imo have affected her.. success.. dramatically.. the first one in 2010.. was imo huge.. for her radio success.. then the 2012 one.. imo where she went poof.. and it was all katy and rihanna on the radio for 4 years straight.. that changed a lot for gaga imo.. s

Gaga is still on the radio scene, not like Katy but she had a great radio hit with Applause. DWUW only needed a video. Gaga has already 4 albums (3 LPs and 1 EP) and this is the first time that she isn't doing amazing.

GagaSlayedYou

I don't think Katy's music is cheap. She has been putting a LOT of effort on her album. She deserves her success. GP is here for her. It doesn't mean she is replacing someone. Just like every popular singer, she is just occuping a place. She is known because of her cuteness, and her bubblegum happy songs! 

Gaga, in other hand, is on a place, where she plays a big part of her bussiness. She had an opportunity that others singers doesn't usually have, i.e Katy. She is known because of her artsy backgrounds, and for being avant-garde (sometimes it's controversial, like the meat dress)

Cuz its more easier to access and digest.  Katy's music is much more easier to understand ("digest") and radio-friendly ("accessible") than gagas.  Katy's music and art doesn't require much thinking and is not different from the "norm" which means more people are comfortable in accepting it.  But gaga is more provocative with her art in the way that her intention is not for u to like it, it's to make you think.  She want you to be a bit disgusted yet intrigued by what she does.  

gaga's singles during born this way, all of them except judas.. were exactly the opposite of provocative.. they were safe, and totally not gaga mind bending music

Allison M

They took notes from Gaga. And Gaga has been silent for like a year, lets face it. I know the album was released and Applause did well, but it wasn't long until she went silent again. Katy is everywhere and taking every promo spot like Gaga used to.

I just hope Gaga and her team get all these projects out soon.

Gaga will always do it better than Katy, but she has to DO it. And I believe she will. It's just taking too long.

Edit: Katy isn't theatrical though. She's just doing what she thinks Gaga does. It comes to Gaga naturally while Katy can't come up with these performances. That look like an attempt to be like Gaga as a performer but it's forced.

Dean Winchester

gaga's singles during born this way, all of them except judas.. were exactly the opposite of provocative.. they were safe, and totally not gaga mind bending music

I don't think it was as much about the songs themselves, than the performances and the music videos the songs got.  And gaga's image during the BTW era itself was provocative.  BTW and Judas were controversial and boundary-breaking for pop songs.  MTN wasn't exactly radio-friendly and You and I was a rock/country ballad.  TEOG was the only safe song and it performed decently even though its chart performance was tarnished since Judas came before it.  

Anderson123

Well, Katy Perry is a popstar. She's good at what she does (or what she's designed for), which is: Make successful pop songs. That's her comfort zone, and that's what she enjoys doing, and it's okay, she is successful at it. I honestly don't see a lot of people going crazy about Katy Perry, but her songs are just "current pop music", which are the ones you listen to at clubs and any place you go to.

Still, I like Rihanna and her music more than Katy Perry. I know Rihanna is like a new Britney Spears, that she barely contributes to the writing progress of the songs, but Rihanna at least is herself. I think she's the one getting successful songs without actually trying, unlike Katy Perry, you can actually see how hard she tries to look "weird, artistic, popstar" and how her team tries to shove Katy's music into everyone's throat.

But eh, I love Lady Gaga, and I love that she's not EVERYWHERE anymore. As long as her music is good, I don't care if she's never at the top anymore or continues to "slay the charts" like some people like to call it.

Archived