Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th

Gaga can easily have #1 hits if she wanted to

Quark

Featured Posts

However, it does make sense tho. She writes and makes music that is stuff she is passionate about and doesn't sell out then. But, the whole point of singles is to attract the GP, since the fans have all the music and such.

So I think she still doesn't write for the number ones. But she's intelligent, and chooses from this songs which would work best with what she's trying to say, but also reach the masses.

Yes but the point of the discussion is those "easy" number ones, which are not easy at all. Those songs that became singles all aimed for it. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KillerCupcake

I did not say she doesn't want #1's. I said that she wants them on her own terms. I think she is willing to possibly not succeed in order to release the type of things she wants to do.

Sure keep telling yourself that if it helps you deal with Gaga's loss of popularity these last few years. 

But the thing is that most of her success has been on her own terms. She released dance music one few cared for it and her songs still became a success. She released weird music videos that werent the norm, and yet they became a success. She released a song about needed Applause and it still became a hit. So what I am saying is that she wants to do what she wants, and hope that it becomes a success.

They didn't become hits on her own terms. It was because the Public liked her image, what she had to offer and the song. They bought it, enjoyed it and requested on radio, streamed the music and bought an album. No Pop star is big without the Public, they decide your future. 

Once again, I am not saying that she doesn't want hits. Every song she has released still has her artistry intact, is just the she releases the safer songs out of all the songs that still contain her artistry. Therefore, the songs still end up being somewhat risky either because of the production or the lyrics, or even the vocals. But she still wants these types of songs to succeed.

Exactly. The selection of the singles she has released since Born This Way has been mostly, if not entirely, done out of convenience in pursuit of easily wanting a hit (the promotion of TEOG & DWUW to full-time singles upon release due to the early warm reception, the release of a song like You & I at a time when Adele was massively successful,  Applause as the lead single of this album, the release of DWUW remix with Xtina, et.al). She herself admitted that ARTPOP is an album engineered for the radio, didn't she? That'd translate that she does (or did) try all of her efforts to score those hits. It just happened the reception they're hoping (and we're hoping for) didn't meet the expectations simply because more people are more interested to the works of others. 

Ummm.... I don't even care if Gaga is popular at all if that is what you are thinking.  I just care about the music she makes and or the performances she gives us. This is just my opinion on Gaga.

Sure keep telling yourself that if it helps you deal with Gaga's loss of popularity these last few years. 

I guess you did not understand me and you are only proving my point. Once again, what I mean by Gaga doing things on her own terms, is that she chose to do or release whatever she wanted even if at the time people were not into what Gaga wanted to do/release. But Gaga made all those things that many people either did not like or weren't used to seeing, looke cool, good, or awesome enough for these people you mention to buy her stuff and finally like what they were mostly likely not to like before.

They didn't become hits on her own terms. It was because the Public liked her image, what she had to offer and the song. They bought it, enjoyed it and requested on radio, streamed the music and bought an album. No Pop star is big without the Public, they decide your future. 

aaronyoji

But have you noticed that non of the songs on ARTPOP fit the definitions of your standard top 40 songs? For example who writes a song about needing the Applause, about being pop culture, and or about using your body as a metaphor for how much the media attakcs? Yes she still wants to keep some modern pop formulas with her music, but she also won't leave her art.

but like you said, those are all lyrical examples of experimentation, the songs, structures, and even synths are all very contemporary, almost too contemporary. i changed the radio station to r.kelly's part of do what you want and i thought it was another one of those 80s rnb songs akin to "hold on we're going home", i didnt recognize it at first.  The applause video and song are exactly 3 and a half minutes, the most typical of song tempo, the only songs that serve up both experimental structure and themes is aura and mary jane holland, and ARTPOP. 

anyway, im sort of going on a tangent.....

tomsches

I disagree!

Gaga won't have a number one hit in the near future no matter how good the song is or how much it would please "the general public", because people hate her too much! get over it

Actually she CAN NOT. She has said that all songs on ARTPOP are designed to be hits. But as you can see Applause flopped WW, DWUW too... Gaga has lost the vision about what a hit sounds like. 

Actually she CAN NOT. She has said that all songs on ARTPOP are designed to be hits. But as you can see Applause flopped WW, DWUW too... Gaga has lost the vision about what a hit sounds like.

It's not that Gaga lost the vision... She's not popular with the GP. It's not about quality it's about popularity. See Katy Perry and how anything she puts out goes #1

Blank Space

No, she doesn't want to be famous anymore or get #1, she likes to be indie artist who can Do What She Wants, not release video or stay silent till forever and make experimental music which isnt going nowhere.

But have you noticed that non of the songs on ARTPOP fit the definitions of your standard top 40 songs? For example who writes a song about needing the Applause, about being pop culture, and or about using your body as a metaphor for how much the media attakcs? Yes she still wants to keep some modern pop formulas with her music, but she also won't leave her art.

Radioactive? Royals? Counting Stars? Team? None of those fit your narrow definition of a hit.

Applause is not weird, it's not "out there." Either lyrically or sonically, it's pretty average. And the music video was a little weird but it was a MASSIVE success.

She cannot 'easily' have #1 hits, and the fact that you care so much is disheartening. If it was that easy, Applause would've went number 1(or 2 blocked by Roar).

It's not that Gaga lost the vision... She's not popular with the GP. It's not about quality it's about popularity. See Katy Perry and how anything she puts out goes #1

Gaga has been the most popular pop girl since 2009. But now people just done care about her. Katy is not more popular than Gaga even tho she has more #1s. Its just that she is smart and plays it safe. And yes Gaga has lost the vision. In november she wanted Venus as the second single. And Venus is a flop waiting to happen. But I think that Gaga still can have a #1 single tho. The only thing she has to do is to work with established POP producers not some self proclaimed DJ and 19-20 years old kids. She needs hit producers like DarkChild, Max Martin, Stargate, RedOne, Dr. Luke( as much as you guys hate him). DJWS cant make a hit for Gags neither can Zedd and Madeon.

Versace

Honestly that's what I wanted Gaga to do with ARTPOP

half the songs on the album to be very artistic not GP friendly and experimental-ART

half the songs on the album to be very generic and GP+radio friendly-POP

ARTPOP, heck I even wanted a two disc album one that says ART and the other that says POP

7 or 8 tracks on each maybe

I think that would've been the ideal vision for me regarding ARTPOP, POP music has to and will always be mainstream pop culture

stands for popular culture and ARTPOP is not a trending album for the GP that is why its ART will never be discovered. ART has a balance you might draw something good looking with dark colors or something bad looking with catchy colors.

Applause flopped?  :awkney: 

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived