Die With A Smile Music Video Banner

The Huffington Post: ARTPOP Review

boobtank

Featured Posts

HernanMinogue

Gaga should've named ARTPOP something else. Not gonna lie, some of the lyrics are silly! But I still love ARTPOP! :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tbh. It's a seriously average album, especially coming from someone like Gaga who has proven herself time and time again in the past. Especially for how long she's supposedly been working on it, it comes off as lazy to me. And there's not a single track that pops out at me as mindblowingly great (I love Venus, and MANiCURE and Fashion! are fun and catchy, but def lack a certain "wow" factor). And additionally, it should not have been named "ARTPOP". The song ARTPOP does  nothing to crystalize what she's trying to get at, her name dropping Jeff Koons is pretty lame, and watching her attempt to explain the concept (something about a soup can) was kind of embarrassing. It'd be better if she was being ironic about it, but she's apparently taking it extremely seriously. No bueno

That's EXACTLY how I feel! No one else on this site seems to have this point of view, even though all of my friends feel the same way as I do about the album being pretty meh. I certainly think there are some highlights and that the album is very unique, but it's not at Gaga's usual level, at least for me. The music, the concept, and the performances so far this era all just wander all over the place, and I think it's indicative of where she's at right now in her life -- feeling like a wandering gypsy and trying to find herself as an artist and as a person. 

I hope youre kidding...you werent wowed by GUY? DWUW? Dope? Gypsy? Donatella? ARTPOP? Fashion!? these songs all offer something different from gaga including the flawless jewels n d--gs...these songs are far from average..the lyrics all flow nicely and just because this album lacks maturity doesnt make it average...gaga told us this album was gonna lack maturity so did you expect something different? Every bridge has something different to offer and just because each song doesnt scream art doesnt mean its not art. People and gaga are always changing...everyday, people are influenced by other things to change their view and if this is gagas ideal of art I see no flaws in it..gaga is combining art with everyday life and just because it isnt obvious it doesnt mean that its not there

I'm just as shocked about people loving the album as you are about people not loving it, haha. We all have different tastes. Certain songs for me like Aura and DWUW are SO GOOD that they almost seem to come from a different album than all the others. So it's not to say that I just hate all of it, but most of it I don't find very compelling, and I just like the music from her previous albums much more. I think that for sure the quality has gone down, but obviously you and a lot of people here disagree with me, and there's no one right or wrong opinion when it comes to how we feel about something. I am glad, though, that the album is risky and she didn't play it safe. I'd prefer a risky album I don't like over a generic people-pleaser of an album any day.

I haven't even heard the album yet, but all these reviews by these people are really discouraging me. I'm scared to hear it now tbh.

That's why Gaga wanted it to leak to her superfans before reviews come out.

Anyone find BTW more artistic? More concrete concept that is clearly conveyed. It was a well done collage, and my favorite part is that it did not worry about the mainstream too much. It did not let that get in the way of what the album could be. That is what I think went wrong with ARTPOP.

Now, I like ARTPOP. I just think Gaga took a step backwards. Should have been released the other way around.

Yup! I find BTW superior in about every way. But it's my favorite album EVER so it's hard to top that. BTW's craziness and experimental-ness came organically from the music, I think, whereas for this album it seemed forced. 

TheOriginalOne

That's why Gaga wanted it to leak to her superfans before reviews come out.

Even here on GGD I've seen negative posts about ARTPOP :(

OysterBaby

I am glad, though, that the album is risky and she didn't play it safe. I'd prefer a risky album I don't like over a generic people-pleaser of an album any day.

CroatiaGeisha

I don't care about music reviews that are not scholarly in nature (this includes the positive ones) and I won't allow myself to become upset by them. :nails:

Haroon

the backlash might just result in Gaga producing the album that many wanted 'ARTPOP' to be

This made me really sad :noparty: I mean that really hit a nerve for some reason :ohno: I guess not everyone can love the same music :shrug: I'm ecstatic with ARTPOP, and I'm sure the future performances and tour will shut up anyone who is saying anything bad now up :crossed:

SummerGirl21

How can people not realize Donatella's lyrics are SUPPOSED to sound ridiculous as they are parodying the misconceptions of Donatella Versace and ridiculing the stereotypes of the fashion industry? 

BYE :awkney:

THIS. #justice4Donatella

Dylangaga

That's EXACTLY how I feel! No one else on this site seems to have this point of view, even though all of my friends feel the same way as I do about the album being pretty meh. I certainly think there are some highlights and that the album is very unique, but it's not at Gaga's usual level, at least for me. The music, the concept, and the performances so far this era all just wander all over the place, and I think it's indicative of where she's at right now in her life -- feeling like a wandering gypsy and trying to find herself as an artist and as a person. 

I'm just as shocked about people loving the album as you are about people not loving it, haha. We all have different tastes. Certain songs for me like Aura and DWUW are SO GOOD that they almost seem to come from a different album than all the others. So it's not to say that I just hate all of it, but most of it I don't find very compelling, and I just like the music from her previous albums much more. I think that for sure the quality has gone down, but obviously you and a lot of people here disagree with me, and there's no one right or wrong opinion when it comes to how we feel about something. I am glad, though, that the album is risky and she didn't play it safe. I'd prefer a risky album I don't like over a generic people-pleaser of an album any day.

I agree with your statement and understand where youre coming from...just as you said everyone likes "different songs" on the album and everyones trinity is different, which I think is awesome because imo there are no fillers on this album and each track has a different light to show her in. i admit I see aspects from her past albums in the songs on ARTPOP but at the same time she is moving forward just like every other artist should. She is trying new sounds and I think they work VERY well. I personally dont like Aura but i respect the importance of it being the opening song on the album. Gaga is killing herself off and becoming this fabulous, fearless female and you can see the progression in the lyrics of the progressing songs (if you listen from start to finish).

This era has been quiet a disappointment to me.. i hope the app and the "experience" changes my mind 

Oh right...I keep forgetting about the app. Lol.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived