💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

The Huffington Post: ARTPOP Review

boobtank

Featured Posts

BangTheGong

The Donatella lyrics may be cheesy but the concept, composition, humor, vocals, tempo/rhythm still make it one of the best tracks on the album. I can't with some of you. Art is subjective and is all encompassing. Gaga made a statement before the Applause release stating that ARTPOP "mirrors Gaga's creative process as she passes through the mediums of each artist she collaborates with". I believe that Gaga is alluding to the writers, producers, visual artists but also those artists who have inspired her to create the individual tracks (whether they're alive still or not). The ARTPOP experience "could mean anything". I think through this album she is showcasing us her musical inspirations in her music, as their is a sense of familiarity from all the songs. I think Gaga more so wanted us to find the "art" from ARTPOP's cultural experiences and cultural statements, than from the literal lyrics (although I think every song is pretty much a masterpiece). 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a fair review guys, I agree with a lot of it. Some of the lyrics are a little uninspired compared to her past albums. I would probably give it a 4/5, but I can see how one may give a 3/5. (For comparison, I gave BTW a 5/5, TFM a 4.5/5, TF a 3/5, and Red&Blue a 4/5). This is a very niche album, it's barely even pop music at some points, it crossed the line a few times.

DanceInTheFlames

How can people not realize Donatella's lyrics are SUPPOSED to sound ridiculous as they are parodying the misconceptions of Donatella Versace and ridiculing the stereotypes of the fashion industry?

BYE :awkney:

:tea:

this especially... can't at people not being able to see she's changed / saying it's a change for a better ...

For real tho! To me she's not even Lady Gaga anymore. Lol. She feels like someone different.

The opinion that I'm always too afraid to say here on GGD because I know I'll be shut down (and I will be now, too, but oh well) is that her personality and how she's acting now is even more off-putting than the music for me. My intention isn't to make an ad hominem attack and insult her -- I still think she's an amazing person with way more talent than any human being should be allowed to have -- but I think it's pretty clear that the girl is having some issues. She seems like a shell of a person compared to how she used to perform and speak in interviews. Every second I'm worried she's going to just break down and cry in the middle of a set. Swinefest was the worst. None of the confidence or fierceness is there anymore. And the ideas and the creativity just aren't there either nowadays. I seriously cannot believe that the same person who performed Paparazzi at the V festival in 2009 or who jumped in a vat to her doom while singing Pokerface at the Grammys also put on that horrendously tacky Wizard of Oz costume party of a performance at GMA this year.

And all she does now is constantly talk about how happy she is, even though it's so blatantly untrue. It's painful to watch someone acting so fake. She's become lost in her own nightmare of fame. She used to be in control of the experiment, but now it's in control of her. She's become the person she used to critique, the haggard celebrity drunk and barfing between hits off a blunt outside a club and caught by the paparazzi. She used to have a mythology of fame that gave her a path to walk along and let her control her own story by willingly giving herself to the dark side of celebrity and making an art out of it, thus creating distance between herself and her problems. It seems she got lost in her own story. She's obviously forgotten about all of that, but I sure hope she remembers it soon, or I don't know if I could bring myself to care enough about her career as it goes down the drain. This era has been so painful to watch. I wish her all the best and all the strength in the world as she goes forward and hopefully turns things around for herself. I'll be waiting!

Agree with that 100%. To me, this album just shows me she needs a big long BREAK. She needs to be away from all of this, her fame, her fans, and just live on her own for a while. She's just not producing good work, and she's lost sight of what she originally set out to do: to change pop music. It feels like she's just another puppet of a major record label, like all of the others (Rihanna, Katy Perry). Calling the music on ARTPOP "experimental" like she did is just straight up lying, I'm sorry, and as a fan I don't appreciate being lied to. Just say it's light, fluffy, mindless POP music, and I'd be much more ok with that, but trying to veil generic pop music with all this "ART" crap is just lame, pretentious, and honestly stupid. Not falling for that one.

And I agree, her interviews I just can't...she's clearly just bullsh*ts or just says things that are flat out not true. She worked better when Lady Gaga was a separate persona that she, Stefani, was consciously acting out, in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. But the second she tried to merge herself WITH Lady Gaga, and proclaim that Stefani and Lady Gaga were the exact same person, that's when the problems started to arise. And now, she's just a confusing, convoluted mess tbh. It's been painful to watch her self-destruct...I agree, I can only wish her the best and hope someone really slaps some good sense into her. Sometimes we all need a big ol' slap (or punch) in the face...I think she is in need of one. I'm glad someone else sees through all of this and is willing to discuss it like a reasonable human being.

I think the ART in ARTPOP will really become obvious once she releases more videos and does more performances. I don't think it is intended to be just an audio experience, but definitely a visual one as well. 

Lolll. Don't let Gaga bullsh*t you. That's what she's best at tbh. It was funny at first. This ain't funny. It's flat out pretentiousness, without any substance for even being pretentious in the first place. 

It seems to me like it has plenty of substance to Gaga herself. It might not mean a thing to you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I don't really see how you can say it's just pretentious and has no substance even when it's clear how much the person behind the work believes in it.

Or is that just her BSing and brainwashing us? :usrs:

ManuelMonsterr

Agree with that 100%. To me, this album just shows me she needs a big long BREAK. She needs to be away from all of this, her fame, her fans, and just live on her own for a while. She's just not producing good work, and she's lost sight of what she originally set out to do: to change pop music. It feels like she's just another puppet of a major record label, like all of the others (Rihanna, Katy Perry). Calling the music on ARTPOP "experimental" like she did is just straight up lying, I'm sorry, and as a fan I don't appreciate being lied to. Just say it's light, fluffy, mindless POP music, and I'd be much more ok with that, but trying to veil generic pop music with all this "ART" crap is just lame, pretentious, and honestly stupid. Not falling for that one.

And I agree, her interviews I just can't...she's clearly just bullsh*ts or just says things that are flat out not true. She worked better when Lady Gaga was a separate persona that she, Stefani, was consciously acting out, in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. But the second she tried to merge herself WITH Lady Gaga, and proclaim that Stefani and Lady Gaga were the exact same person, that's when the problems started to arise. And now, she's just a confusing, convoluted mess tbh. It's been painful to watch her self-destruct...I agree, I can only wish her the best and hope someone really slaps some good sense into her. Sometimes we all need a big ol' slap (or punch) in the face...I think she is in need of one. I'm glad someone else sees through all of this and is willing to discuss it like a reasonable human being.

sadly i agree, i still love ARTPOP but she seems off and nobody here notices it idk

yesterday i saw the AMA BR rehearsal, and DAMN where is that fierceness gone? she let the haters destroy her and lost control idk man it hurts being a fan since 2008 seeing her like this

For real tho! To me she's not even Lady Gaga anymore. Lol. She feels like someone different.

lol like when they say, DO YOU MISS THE OLD GAGA? 

waat she is TOTALLY THE SAME 

and im like.... :awkney:

It seems to me like it has plenty of substance to Gaga herself. It might not mean a thing to you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I don't really see how you can say it's just pretentious and has no substance even when it's clear how much the person behind the work believes in it.

Or is that just her BSing and brainwashing us? :usrs:

So then tell me what "ARTPOP" means, beyond just it being putting "art on the soupcan" or whatever she said (and I dont even get that). Has she clearly conveyed that idea to you? If so, please enlighten me. Or do you think that just saying that Jeff Koons is "suddenly" her, and that "art's in pop culture" in her, validate it? Because I'm pretty sure any major artist under a major record label could name-drop Jeff Koons in their song and pay him to design his/her album cover. To me, it appears she's just doing it to make people think she's a true "artiste." 

What she really needs is a big slice of humble pie. STOP pandering to the fans, STOP assuming everything you touch is gold, STOP singing about yourself, STOP singing about being famous, STOP referencing 80s styles, STOP trying so god damn hard with the references and metaphors and double-entendres because honey most of em either don't make sense or are just plain reaching :nails:

START listening to CURRENT underground music.

ManuelMonsterr

Suddenly everyone loves BTW after the endless whining for the last 2 years

i still hate that mess

Since when do lyrics have to be super serious at all times? 
This reviewer must have been feeling like a plastic bag when they made that claim.

What she really needs is a big slice of humble pie. STOP pandering to the fans, STOP assuming everything you touch is gold, STOP singing about yourself, STOP singing about being famous, STOP trying so god damn hard with the references and metaphors and double-entendres because honey most of em either don't make sense or are just plain reaching :nails:

What she really needs is a big slice of humble pie. STOP pandering to the fans, STOP assuming everything you touch is gold, STOP singing about yourself, STOP singing about being famous, STOP trying so god damn hard with the references and metaphors and double-entendres because honey most of em either don't make sense or are just plain reaching :nails:

Yes, Yes, and YES. You were much more concise than I was, Lol. I think her fans should make her some d-lish humble pie.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived