๐Ÿ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT ๐Ÿ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Official Review ARTPOP Track-by-Track thread.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

ChicaSkas

No one even reported this odd fellow, all I did was walk in here to read a review and then member bashing starts. Oi vey. I think someone needs to grow up a bit. I try to teach you, and all you can say is 'bye'? Wow.

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paper Planes

No one even reported this odd fellow, all I did was walk in here to read a review and then member bashing starts. Oi vey. I think someone needs to grow up a bit. I try to teach you, and all you can say is 'bye'? Wow.

ย 

I think the 72 posts count should speak for itself :laughga:

delete it fat

ChicaSkas

I think the 72 posts count should speak for itself :laughga:

Infracted for unecessary bullying.

Shame, as we all started with that once, as well.

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

lol and that's your opinion

Well ok, I went too hard sorryย  :sweat: ย But yeah I just can't understand how people can praise a song, which sounds like demo and has no charisma. But maybe that's just my ears.

ELECTRAHEARTPOP

Okay here goes.

ย 

Aura 8.5/10

ย 

Definitely a highlight of the album. Opens like an explosion and sparks the inferno. When the demo leaked I fell in love, and I'm glad not much has changed. The new vocals sound gorgeous, showing her aggression towards the subject matter - but I'm disappointed the intro hasn't been updated to high quality. Infected Mushroom's weird, glitchy beat paired with Zedd's womping bassline makes for an intense rollercoaster ride that gives you only a taste of what to come.

ย 

Venus 7/10

ย 

I like Venus, but I feel like it's trying too hard. Gaga's production is great but I feel maybe too ambitious, and the two pre choruses are too cluttered. She should have left the 'I can't help the way I'm feeling...' and took out the 'Take me to your leader'. I also dislike the bridge. I hate to be so negative but I just can't get into this song. I like the chorus though.

ย 

G.U.Y 9/10

ย 

I absolutely adore G.U.Y! I think it's one of the best songs on the album, it's everything Gaga has shown to be good at, and with the Zedd twist. The dark beat leaves you breathless and her robotic vocals over the top match perfectly. The pre-chorus builds you up for the thrashing that is the synthy, s-xual chorus. The bridge and intro slay with the voice over, and the song builds to a climax before glitching out and desperately wanting more. Zedd's production is pristine and really is the 'ear candy' Gaga promised from ARTPOP.

ย 

Sexxx Dreams 8/10

ย 

After the high energy that is G.U.Y, it's nice to have a slower, mid tempo jam. The dual vocal of thoughts and reality keeps the pace, and DJWS's mysterious, industrial beat is enticing. Gaga's vocals are on point and the ad libs that have been added during the chorus add to the experience. I feel the bridge fits the album much more, and is very 70s disco with the flaring bass. This is a jam.

ย 

Jewels n' Drugs 5/10

ย 

I'm all for Gaga experimenting, but if she is to go into rap I'd rather her collaborate with Eminem, who can actually tell a story through song, not unlike Gaga. This however, is a bit of a meaningless song without character, and I have trouble connecting with the lyrics. I am not a lover of trap either, but DJWS's production is again perfect. Maybe this will grown on me.

ย 

MANiCURE 6/10

ย 

I'm not sure about this. I love Gaga's rock vocals on this and the production is again, great. I just feel like it doesn't fit the album, and feels like maybe it should have been left to the app. I like this as just a fun song, and I can't really a--lyse the lyrics much.

ย 

Do What U Want 8/10

ย 

Just bliss. Pop perfection. This just keeps on growing with every listen, and it's message is something I've been wanting Gaga to say for years. The production is RnB heaven and the R Kelly collaboration is well placed and should definitely be there, unlike other Top 10 songs where rappers are present for sales. A fan and GP favourite alike.

ย 

ARTPOP 8.5/10

ย 

The midway point. A retro and modern sounding song, combining fresh beats with a pulsating 70s synth and violins that sound like they're straight from a Mozart suite. Displaying some of the most intelligent lyrics on the album, it just shows how capable Gaga is when she sets her mind to it. Helps keep the pace up that has somewhat faded since Jewels n' Drugs.

ย 

Swine 9.5/10

ย 

One of Gaga's best. Grabs you by the throat and does not let go for dear life. The strange hiccuping beats and sledgehammer synths, as well as the dizzying drop engages you throughout the whole song and makes you want to dance. Though I do feel there is too much empty instrumental where the breaks go on a bit too long. Overall though I love this.

ย 

Donatella 9.5/10

ย 

Again, one of my favourites from the album. The intro sets the tone of the satirical lyrics, accompanied by a thomping Zedd beat and stunning vocals, make for a classic Gaga track in the making. Personally, I think the radio would eat this up around springtime and I'd be surprised if it didn't become a single. The critics would definitely appreciate Gaga's contreversial but intelligent commentary on model culture. Very well done.

ย 

Fashion! 8.5/10

ย 

A big surprise. Was never anticipating to like this with Will on the credits, but he brought back some BEP style beats and created with Gaga a stunning disco masterpiece, with an amazing EDM outro. Some of the best Gaga vocals on the album and again screaming out for single treatment. Not sure if this and Donatella can coexist as singles as they have slightly similar subject matter but who knows. One of my favourites.

ย 

Mary Jane Holland 8/10

ย 

Really like it. I did kind of expect more of Madeon and I find the production a little loud over her vocals, especially during the chorus. But the stunning bridge, crude vocals and smart lyrics make up for that. I think this will end up being a fan and critic favourite, incorporating Bloody Mary style undulating synths and hard beats with dark vocals. It will also be incredible live.

ย 

Dope 10/10

ย 

Wow. One of Gaga's best songs. The deepest we have ever looked into her true soul and feelings. The production from Rick is quite stunning, like Lana Del Rey with a Gaga twist. Her vocals sound so raw and beautiful, that you can feel the emotion dripping from your ears. I genuinely think I'm always going to love this song. I can't even begin to describe it.

ย 

Gypsy 10/10

ย 

Another ten. I know this sounds biased now. I think another emotional song, reminiscent of The Edge of Glory and Marry The Night but so much better. The biggest hit left on the album, I think people will really connect with the lyrics and appreciate Gaga's vocals. The production from Madeon is, again, very Born This Way era, but with a happier twist and it works. Just so joyous and you can feel Gaga is really in love. Builds to a huge climax. PERFECT.

ย 

Applause 8/10

ย 

After hearing the album I don't like it as much as I first did, but it's perfect as a closer. With a pop, trap inspired beat it is perfect to close the album. And I also wouldn't say 'shouldn't have been the first single' because it's a definite lead single choice, I can't imagine any other song on the album being the lead single. A-R-T-P-O-P!

MelbHawker

Happy listening, and cheers to ARTPOP!

Thank you so much for taking the time to actually right a review longer and more in-depth than mine!

ย 

I totally agree with you re: the Venus angelic harmonies. It totally works; kudos to Gaga on that one. Also your point about GUY being a bit 'Britney' in the verses.. I totally agree!! I thought this to myself upon first listen but didn't include it in my review (I thought I was the only one), nice pick-up. Great point about the DWUW fade-out and 'ARTPOP' beginning as a fade-in. All these things I totally agree with and shows how closely Gaga and the producers pay attention to detail. Hmm.. seems to me GUY/Donatella/Gypsy could all be singles at some point.

bionic

01: Aura) Almost identical to the demo, but not quite as good. The vocals are seriously lacking. Were they supposed to sound sensual? Perhaps if we hadn't heard the demo it would be amazing 8/10

ย 

ย 

02: Venus) A weird song, but still fun. Still feels disjointed although I suspect that was the intention. 7/10

ย 

ย 

03: G.U.Y) Should've been the first single. I will claw her eyes out if she doesn't make this a single. 10/10

ย 

ย 

04: Sexxx Dreams) Inferior to the iTunes version. Not a fan of the new parts that she's added in, it makes it too busy. "You were in them, you were in my dreams"... We got that from the main chorus... I like the new gasping sounds though, and the fact that we can hear the lyrics of the bridge. 8/10

ย 

05: Jewels and Drugs) Cute coughing sounds at the start. 2/10

ย 

06: Manicure) I love the vibe of this song, it makes me think of the songs Gaga made while she was still Stefani Germanotta/early Lady Gaga (i.e. Oh Well). The new parts of the song are much appreciated. The vocals sound like she was drinking water between words/gasping for breath (especially in the verses) 7/10

ย 

07: Do What U Want) Still a great song. Nothing else to say really. 9/10

ย 

08: ARTPOP) I don't really like the vocal layers again... But it's still a great song with a catchy hook. 8/10

ย 

09: Swine) Yet another song where I have problems with the vocals. It sounds like she's tired and can't be bothered. Like Rihanna singing with Gaga's voice. I really miss the piano at the start as well. 6/10

ย 

10: Donatella) I don't really know what to say about this. I suppose it's supposed to be a self-empowering, ironic song like Xtina's Glam. But it's just not a good song in any aspect. No great production, no great melody, no great lyrics. 4/10

ย 

11: Fashion!) Just awful. will.i.am and David Guetta should stop. It sounds like it should be used in adverts for shows on E4. Alternatively, for an awful performance on Glee.This song and Donatella try to do what Manicure does effortlessly. The idea of this song should've remained an idea. 1/10

ย 

12: Mary Jane Holland) This is a great track. Amazing pre-chorus and an even better chorus. I'm not sure what Mary Jane Holland is (maybe it's because I'm foreignย  ). Russiaaaaaaan hookerrrrrrrrrrrrs 9/10

ย 

13: Dope) It was much better as 'I Wanna Be With You'. I'm not sure if "I need you more than dope" is supposed to be needing them a lot? Drug references confuse me. She's doing that thing with her voice that she does during live performances that makes me grit my teeth. Usually she doesn't do it during studio performances, but I suppose... Yeah... 6/10

ย 

14: Gypsy) Another great track, though it sounds like it should be in a musical. Or in a Glee episode. 7/10

ย 

15: Applause) It's fun, I guess. Now I've listened to the album it's a mystery why it was chosen for the first single. 7/10

buy bionic

Thank you so much for taking the time to actually right a review longer and more in-depth than mine!

ย 

I totally agree with you re: the Venus angelic harmonies. It totally works; kudos to Gaga on that one. Also your point about GUY being a bit 'Britney' in the verses.. I totally agree!! I thought this to myself upon first listen but didn't include it in my review (I thought I was the only one), nice pick-up. Great point about the DWUW fade-out and 'ARTPOP' beginning as a fade-in. All these things I totally agree with and shows how closely Gaga and the producers pay attention to detail. Hmm.. seems to me GUY/Donatella/Gypsy could all be singles at some point.

Well I actually wrote that review yesterday and posted it as a thread here, but I re-posted it in your thread because it was a track-by-track review like what you asked for.

I'm glad we agree on these things, though! Gaga really did a great job with this album.

ChicaSkas

u in trouble

??

In what way? Please offer an opinion (hopefully constructive!)

MelbHawker

Okay here goes.

Flawless review. I love it how our opinions all differ on each song.ย 

ย 

I feel exactly the same about Venus to be honest. The hook isn't needed; the 'I can't help the way I'm feeling' hook work just fine and matches the chorus in terms of euphoria. I love your description of Swine tbh.. it totally strangles you doesn't it?!

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived