Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

Like Harry said, I think she likes the feeling of her singles being global music events that grab attention from every corner of every market at the same time.

From my perspective, it is only global from the viewpoint that I'll be looking at its US chart performance, although I sit here in UK.    I've more or less abandoned looking at the UK charts and silly release timings here won't make that any better.

The real problem with the UK weekly singles chart though is this business of radio being 'persuaded' to play a naff song for a month before it is released for sale, so it goes #1 for one week then bombs out.  That completely destroys the credibility of the weekly chart.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Harry said, I think she likes the feeling of her singles being global music events that grab attention from every corner of every market at the same time.

The same reasoning that meant that everyone had to get You & I as a single.

Americano

The same reasoning that meant that everyone had to get You & I as a single.

Worked out great in places like Germany and UK :troll:

we might need to close this thread sometime after the next 10 days. i am so not here for the meltdowns :cry:

Not true. BTW debuted at 3, so we really dont know how big the song is.

I still hope that maybe they will keep the original date here.

Yes, true. BTW debuted so big because it was the lead single and it was coming off the back of such a huge previous era.

This time it's the second single + it's coming off the back of an underperforming lead single.

Americano

I still think a hit is a hit. Whatever day it's released won't dictate that.

Sure, it'll help at the beginning, but that's not the real problem when a song underperforms. 

Bad Romance wasn't actually a huge hit until it was performed on the X Factor. Maybe things will be the same this time round, with a new album to talk about

Yeah, I know, I'm just stressing. The last time Gaga had a big UK hit was with..The Edge of Glory. SO LONG AGO

Americano

Yeah, I know, I'm just stressing. The last time Gaga had a big UK hit was with..The Edge of Glory. SO LONG AGO

u just need to work b---h

:troll:

u just need to work b---h

:troll:

Gaga needs to work b---h 

u wanna stay relevant

u wanna sell albums

u wanna hit single

u beta promote b---h

Gaga needs to work b---h 

u wanna stay relevant

u wanna sell albums

u wanna hit single

u beta promote b---h

she hates the uk. i wonder what we did

she hates the uk. i wonder what we did

We let ****play into the top ten in place of MTN that's what we did

StrawberryBlond

I honestly am surprised that Gaga is allowed to have so much authority over the whole on air/on sale thing. I thought something like that would be purely in the hands of the label. I also didn't realise that she has the authority to enforce this view across the entire world. Because she's on Polydor in the UK, couldn't they just decide to do things their way if she keeps on underperforming? I thought after the chart run of BTW's singles that Interscope would realise that Gaga's release strategy is working against her and would demand her to conform if they want her to have more hits. I strongly believe that international markets should carry out the decision they feel would best suit their country's charting rules because she can't keep having hits in the US that flop worldwide. It doesn't look good if she has several years with no #1's. All the public see is a number - they don't stop to consider if the song was actually a hit or not. If Gaga can't get #1's anymore, she looks like a flop, and that is not good for her image. In America, a song has ample opportunities to go #1 but worldwide, it doesn't work like that. It's nonsensical to base your release schedule on a country where #1's are slow burners and work against countries where you only have one week to hit #1 or it's over. It's like Eminem says: "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo."

Archived