đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

BlondeKingOfGGD

This is sam smith, so it'l probably climb to top 10 and stabilise in it somewhere.

EDIT: Just checked and it's in the top 10 already...

I really hope Real Love doesn't go #1 for weeks and weeks, but it's almost on lock :'(

It says it's at #21 for me.. Where is it for you??

It's got another version and 4 remix EP coming out in a few weeks too that are pre-order so no doubt it will go top 5

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

What is Cheryl's competition for her album??

A lot. Her label picked a really bad week for her. I'm surprised they didn't re-schedule.

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Queen - Queen Forever (greatest hits compilation + 2 new songs)

All of them have good, loyal, male fanbases, which always pull in good numbers. Sam's album will also be major competition after performing on XF and his new single being released and Ed's album will also be high as it just climbed to #1 again and he'll be performing on the EMA's tonight, which are being held in Glasgow and broadcast this evening. Really, at best, she'll get #2. Considering her last album debuted with around 31,000 and her fanbase has really lowered since then, I doubt she'll do much better and I don't think that's going to be enough to fend off these other acts.

Cheryl doesn't stand a chance at #01. She's just not an albums artist AT all

My prediction

01 - Foo Fighters

02 - Pink Floyd

03 - Sam Smith

04 - Ed Sheeran

05 - Cheryl

Unrelated but Sam was incredible on the X-Factor. THAT is how you deliver a vocal performance.

Tom Odell (John Lewis song) now up to #02, looks like a sure-fire #01

Really, at best, she'll get #2. Considering her last album debuted with around 31,000 and her fanbase has really lowered since then, I doubt she'll do much better and I don't think that's going to be enough to fend off these other acts.

Have they lowered? She pulled off two #1 singles before the album, the 2nd against tough competition.

Whether the album goes # 1 or not, they've got her launched nicely for Xmas sales.

StrawberryBlond

Have they lowered? She pulled off two #1 singles before the album, the 2nd against tough competition.

Whether the album goes # 1 or not, they've got her launched nicely for Xmas sales.

Her debut album album sold 1 million, her second 300k, her third about 150k, I believe. Yes, they might be higher than 150k this time because she has XF promo again as well as the Christmas period (don't think she'll ever release an album in June again). But it's clear as day that her fanbase has fallen dramatically since she launched herself as a solo act in 2009. Since then, she left XF, Girls Aloud split up, she lost favour with the public...her brand is not what it used to be. Her lead single only went to #1 because it was on pre-order for 2 months with the best promo before it was released, yet it only debuted with 118,000 (by the way, did you know the song was originally intended for Kylie?) and her latest one had a one month pre-order, an XF performance on the day of release and had 2 versions available, so she ended up with double the sales. The sales haven't been released, but seeing as there was only a 5k difference between her and Ed Sheeran in the midweeks and he broke the record for the most streaming points this week, it was exceptionally close. Had it not been for her clean version charting, she would have lost as she had only been #1 for one day and fell to #3 in the last 2 days. Basically, she can only get to #1 now if she uses all the tricks of the trade. She didn't need pre-orders to achieve her #1's in the past. So, yeah, it's going to be her album sales that really determine how many fans she actually has. If her first ever solo tour was anything to go by, she's barely got any left.

SomethingMore

Her debut album album sold 1 million, her second 300k, her third about 150k, I believe. Yes, they might be higher than 150k this time because she has XF promo again as well as the Christmas period (don't think she'll ever release an album in June again). But it's clear as day that her fanbase has fallen dramatically since she launched herself as a solo act in 2009. Since then, she left XF, Girls Aloud split up, she lost favour with the public...her brand is not what it used to be. Her lead single only went to #1 because it was on pre-order for 2 months with the best promo before it was released, yet it only debuted with 118,000 (by the way, did you know the song was originally intended for Kylie?) and her latest one had a one month pre-order, an XF performance on the day of release and had 2 versions available, so she ended up with double the sales. The sales haven't been released, but seeing as there was only a 5k difference between her and Ed Sheeran in the midweeks and he broke the record for the most streaming points this week, it was exceptionally close. Had it not been for her clean version charting, she would have lost as she had only been #1 for one day and fell to #3 in the last 2 days. Basically, she can only get to #1 now if she uses all the tricks of the trade. She didn't need pre-orders to achieve her #1's in the past. So, yeah, it's going to be her album sales that really determine how many fans she actually has. If her first ever solo tour was anything to go by, she's barely got any left.

This post is one of the most cringeworthy posts I have ever seen on this site! Here is why :

a) "Her lead single only went to #1 because it was on pre-order for 2 months with the best promo before it was released, yet it only debuted with 118,000."

- Most of the singles from major stars are put on a pre-order. EVERY week there are a few songs on pre-order so that's nothing unusual. 

- Yeah she had a great promo, Britain's Got Talent + Graham Norton. What so wrong with that? Basically every singer in the world promotes the lead single a lot. Well, almost every - that one in your avi certainly doesn't   :teehee: 

- "And yet it only debuted with 118,000"? :lmao: Let me just put this here : "On 27 July 2014, the single entered at number one on the UK Singles Chart selling 118,000 copies, becoming Cheryl's fourth number one single on the chart, tying her with Geri Halliwell and Rita Ora as the third British female to achieve four solo number ones and also making it the fastest selling single during the summer holiday period and the fastest selling single of the third quarter of the year."  :coffee:

b) "and her latest one had a one month pre-order, an XF performance on the day of release and had 2 versions available, so she ended up with double the sales."

- Again, there is nothing unsual to put a single on a pre-order. And FYI it was doing TERRIBLE in pre-orders.  Jase is posting these iTunes updates he can confirm this. So what if it had XF performance? Ed performed his single 2 weeks ago and it went straight to #1. Besides Cheryl hit #1 before the performance. Having 2 versions is common. Even Ed has 2 versions. And Cheryl's are explicit and clean one. Clean one reached #1 based on pre-orders and than the explicit one took over later. 

c) "The sales haven't been released, but seeing as there was only a 5k difference between her and Ed Sheeran in the midweeks and he broke the record for the most streaming points this week, it was exceptionally close."

- :wtf: What are you even talking about? There was never a 5k difference. Her lead in the midweeks : 17.6k - 16.4k - 14.9k (Friday - last update). Those numbers include the streaming so he wasn't close at all.  It's even more impressive she won with him breaking the record for most streaming points  :haha:

d) "Had it not been for her clean version charting, she would have lost as she had only been #1 for one day and fell to #3 in the last 2 days. Basically, she can only get to #1 now if she uses all the tricks of the trade."

- How in the world are those tricks? Do you even understand how this industry works? Her lyrics go :

I don't care

And it feels so ****ing good to say I swear

That word is the only reason why it had 2 versions charting. She HAD to release both versions.

e) "She didn't need pre-orders to achieve her #1's in the past. So, yeah, it's going to be her album sales that really determine how many fans she actually has. If her first ever solo tour was anything to go by, she's barely got any left."

Back in 2009 & 2010 I am not even sure if singles could be pre-ordered! Even if they were available for pre-order, it wasn't popular at all. 

She has barely any fans? This is just ridiculous ! I guess her label bought all her #1s?  Yeah she is down in popularity just like Gaga, but she is still a factor in the UK. After all she just  broke a ****ing record ! 5 #1s ! 

And if any of what you said was true the song wouldn't be doing so amazing right now!

loool.jpg

P.S. I hope you don't mind this essay....oh wait...

If Cheryl's album can top 150k that's success in this climate for pop females and pop album sales. If she gets close to 300k, that totally smashing.

It might be her best quality album since Girls Aloud. Some of her fans are saying it. 

iTunes Update

6Nsgzuy.jpg

01. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran

02. I Don't Care - Cheryl

03. Steal My Girl - One Direction

04. Real Love - Tom Odell

05. All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor

06. Outside (feat. Ellie Goulding) - Calvin Harris

07. Like I Can - Sam Smith

08. You Ruin Me - The Veronicas

09. Ready to Run - One Direction

10. Shake It Off - Taylor Swift

11. Wicked Games (feat. Anna Naklab) [Radio Edit] - Parra for Cuva

12. I'm Not the Only One - Sam Smith

13. i - Kendrick Lamar

14. Don't Tell 'Em (feat. YG) - Jeremih

15. All of Me - John Legend

16. Bang Bang - Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj

17. Beautiful to Me - Olly Murs

18. Blame (feat. John Newman) - Calvin Harris

19. Stay With Me - Sam Smith

20. Wake Me Up (Official BBC Children In Need Single 2014) - Gareth Malone's All Star Choir

21. Where Do Broken Hearts Go - One Direction

22. Bump & Grind 2014 (Waze & Odyssey vs. R. Kelly) [Radio Edit] - Waze & Odyssey & R. Kelly

23. Changing (feat. Paloma Faith) - Sigma

24. T.I.N.A. (feat. Angel) - Fuse ODG

25. Blame It on Me - George Ezra

26. I Lived - OneRepublic

27. Anaconda - Nicki Minaj

28. Man In The Mirror (X Factor Performance) - Ben Haenow

29. No Good in Goodbye - The Script

30. Break Free (feat. Zedd) - Ariana Grande

31. I Don't Care - Cheryl

32. Prayer in C (Robin Schulz Remix) - Robin Schulz & LILLYWOOD

33. Superheroes - The Script

34. Budapest - George Ezra

35. Let It Go - Idina Menzel

36. Don't - Ed Sheeran

37. Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart) - The Vamps

38. What Did I Do?/God As My Witness - Foo Fighters

39. You Are Not Alone (X Factor Performance) - Stereo Kicks

40. Take Me To Church - Hozier

Bubbling Under

49. Blank Space - Taylor Swift

68. Real Love - Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne *Pre-order

70. In Your Arms - Nico & Vinz

78. Love Me Harder - Ariana Grande & The Weeknd

81. Listen to the Man - George Ezra

If Cheryl's album can top 150k that's success in this climate for pop females and pop album sales. If she gets close to 300k, that totally smashing.

It might be her best quality album since Girls Aloud. Some of her fans are saying it. 

Absolutely no way

if she's pulling those numbers  - the foos are pulling 400k+ which won't happen

Shame Jessie J is flopping again, she really doesnt deserve it

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

Absolutely no way

if she's pulling those numbers  - the foos are pulling 400k+ which won't happen

I think he means overall and not first week sales?

StrawberryBlond

This post is one of the most cringeworthy posts I have ever seen on this site! Here is why :

a) "Her lead single only went to #1 because it was on pre-order for 2 months with the best promo before it was released, yet it only debuted with 118,000."

- Most of the singles from major stars are put on a pre-order. EVERY week there are a few songs on pre-order so that's nothing unusual. 

- Yeah she had a great promo, Britain's Got Talent + Graham Norton. What so wrong with that? Basically every singer in the world promotes the lead single a lot. Well, almost every - that one in your avi certainly doesn't   :teehee: 

- "And yet it only debuted with 118,000"? :lmao: Let me just put this here : "On 27 July 2014, the single entered at number one on the UK Singles Chart selling 118,000 copies, becoming Cheryl's fourth number one single on the chart, tying her with Geri Halliwell and Rita Ora as the third British female to achieve four solo number ones and also making it the fastest selling single during the summer holiday period and the fastest selling single of the third quarter of the year."  :coffee:

b) "and her latest one had a one month pre-order, an XF performance on the day of release and had 2 versions available, so she ended up with double the sales."

- Again, there is nothing unsual to put a single on a pre-order. And FYI it was doing TERRIBLE in pre-orders.  Jase is posting these iTunes updates he can confirm this. So what if it had XF performance? Ed performed his single 2 weeks ago and it went straight to #1. Besides Cheryl hit #1 before the performance. Having 2 versions is common. Even Ed has 2 versions. And Cheryl's are explicit and clean one. Clean one reached #1 based on pre-orders and than the explicit one took over later. 

c) "The sales haven't been released, but seeing as there was only a 5k difference between her and Ed Sheeran in the midweeks and he broke the record for the most streaming points this week, it was exceptionally close."

- :wtf: What are you even talking about? There was never a 5k difference. Her lead in the midweeks : 17.6k - 16.4k - 14.9k (Friday - last update). Those numbers include the streaming so he wasn't close at all.  It's even more impressive she won with him breaking the record for most streaming points  :haha:

d) "Had it not been for her clean version charting, she would have lost as she had only been #1 for one day and fell to #3 in the last 2 days. Basically, she can only get to #1 now if she uses all the tricks of the trade."

- How in the world are those tricks? Do you even understand how this industry works? Her lyrics go :

I don't care

And it feels so ****ing good to say I swear

That word is the only reason why it had 2 versions charting. She HAD to release both versions.

e) "She didn't need pre-orders to achieve her #1's in the past. So, yeah, it's going to be her album sales that really determine how many fans she actually has. If her first ever solo tour was anything to go by, she's barely got any left."

Back in 2009 & 2010 I am not even sure if singles could be pre-ordered! Even if they were available for pre-order, it wasn't popular at all. 

She has barely any fans? This is just ridiculous ! I guess her label bought all her #1s?  Yeah she is down in popularity just like Gaga, but she is still a factor in the UK. After all she just  broke a ****ing record ! 5 #1s ! 

And if any of what you said was true the song wouldn't be doing so amazing right now!

loool.jpg

P.S. I hope you don't mind this essay....oh wait...

If you've read my posts around here, you'll know that I despise the pre-order system that's been all the rage this year. At this rate, Gaga's going to have to use it if she wants to stand a chance at another #1 again because everyone's at it, therefore meaning even more artists will have to give in too or a #1 will be impossible. I'm not against it just in Cheryl's case, but in everyone's case. I'm not criticising her promo for the song, but I am criticising the crafty manipulation of it all - all the promo is done before the release, meaning that it'll build up even more pre-orders. If the promo was done after the release, the sales might not have been as high. Her team didn't want spaced-out, gradual promo resulting in a slow-burning hit with longevity. They wanted instant, massive success for just one week. It's a sales tactic labels are using now that I cannot abide.

Your quoting of her record-breaking statistics for CSL are irrelevant because like I said, she only achieved all this because it had a two-month pre-order with promo and a music video all done before official release. Debuting with 118,000 sounds impressive until you realise it was on pre-order. Debuting with 118,000 with one actual week of sales is impressive. Attaining 118,000 sales in 2 months is pathetic for a lead single from an act who's supposedly one of the most successful in Britain. Call My Name sold 152,000 (including 97,000 on the first day alone) in just one week with no pre-order. 2 years later, she can't even achieve that amount with 2 months of sales. So, why are you praising her?

Clean versions are not the same as remixes. Fans are more likely to buy a clean version as opposed to a remix, which usually doesn't represent the original song in any way. Choosing an expletive-laden song as a single was another sales tactic as it would ensure that there would be two versions available, thus encouraging the fans to buy both to secure the #1 spot. Having two versions was what gave her the #1 - that's just a fact.

Considering Ed was at #1 on iTunes for 6 consecutive days (minus the hours that 1D temporarily took over) is proof that this battle was close. That, plus his streaming and remix charting would have pushed him even further up. It's pretty ridiculous how a song that was only #1 for one day can be #1 at the end of the week. I don't think alternate versions should count. Each version must stand alone.

Those tricks are the ones I've just been listing - a long pre-order, a whole bunch of promo before release, releasing an explicit single so two versions can chart and fans can double the sales. I understand perfectly well how the industry works. That's why I'm critiquing it and hoping more people wise up to its game.

That's the point I'm making - artists didn't use pre-ordering in the past, but they need to now, which shows that they're afraid of the low sales climate and aren't confident that they can have #1's anymore. If you didn't need pre-ordering to get #1's in the past but you do now shows that you can only get a "hit" by cheating the chart system.

The charts work very differently now from how they were years ago. You can't compare them. When Geri broke the record, it really meant something, because back then, only physical singles existed and people had to actually go to the shops to buy one and it cost more than 99p. To get so many people to do that 4 times in her career to give her 4 #1's is commedable. But the world of instant downloading and pre-ordering has changed the original vision of the charts. Cheryl breaking the record is meaningless when this much trickery and manipulation went into it. Most of the public can't even name any of her singles apart from Fight For This Love. No one will recall any of her #1's years from now (or the previous record holders Geri and Rita, for that matter). And I can confirm that public did not want her two new singles to go #1. I can't find anyone who liked them and even her fans weren't keen. Plus, Cheryl's performance last week got panned by the public. Breaking the record is bittersweet if the public don't think you deserved it.

You made this post earlier, when the song was still sailing on the buzz from its #1 announcement, but as you can see, it's falling heavily now.

That's the point I'm making - artists didn't use pre-ordering in the past, but they need to now, which shows that they're afraid of the low sales climate and aren't confident that they can have #1's anymore. If you didn't need pre-ordering to get #1's in the past but you do now shows that you can only get a "hit" by cheating the chart system.

The charts work very differently now from how they were years ago. You can't compare them. When Geri broke the record, it really meant something, because back then, only physical singles existed and people had to actually go to the shops to buy one and it cost more than 99p. To get so many people to do that 4 times in her career to give her 4 #1's is commedable. But the world of instant downloading and pre-ordering has changed the original vision of the charts. Cheryl breaking the record is meaningless when this much trickery and manipulation went into it. Most of the public can't even name any of her singles apart from Fight For This Love. No one will recall any of her #1's years from now (or the previous record holders Geri and Rita, for that matter). And I can confirm that public did not want her two new singles to go #1. I can't find anyone who liked them and even her fans weren't keen. Plus, Cheryl's performance last week got panned by the public. Breaking the record is bittersweet if the public don't think you deserved it.

Pre-ordering is simply an attempt to give a digital single the same advantages as a physical one. 10-15 years ago singers would promote a song for weeks, it would be on radio, then it would come out as a physical and have concentrated sales.

When singles were physical, it was EASIER to have #1s and chart high for any act with a loyal fanbase. Geri got her #1s over 2 album eras, because she could have #1s with a 3rd and 4th single post-album which is virtually impossible now. Cheryl's Soldiers are the type that would have religiously collected her physical singles 10-15 years ago.

Singles have always been bought by loyal teen fans, so #1s are dominated by acts they like. Not acts that adults over 25 or music critics respect.

Archived