Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Popdust: Gaga #1 Reason Why Pop Music Changed in 2009

heavyMetalGAGA

Featured Posts

heavyMetalGAGA

2009-Gaga-Calendar-Feature.jpg

"There was a time in popular music, barely a half-decade ago, where hip-hop was the biggest form of music in the country, EDM was still seen as underground and/or novelty, and teen-pop was more or less constrained to the Disney Channel. Obviously a whole lot has changed since then, and the events of the last year of the ’00s had a whole lot to do with thatâ€â€a year that introduced a whole spate of new pop megastars, said goodbye to a number of old ones, and established a number of trends (many of which had started the year before) that would prove pervasive in American pop music.

When people talk about how much different the pop world is now from the last time Justin Timberlake released an album, 2009 is the biggest reason why. Here’s 15 points that prove it.

1. Lady Gaga became the biggest pop star on the planet. Undoubtedly the biggest pop development in ’09 was the emergence of Lady Gaga, who debuted in ’08 with the chart-topping “Just Dance,†but it wasn’t until second hit “Poker Face†that we really saw what we were dealing withâ€â€an undeniable, alien-sounding club stomper (with an alien-looking music video) about bis-xuality that made clear that Gaga wasn’t some art-school pop dilettante, but something closer to the second coming of Madonna.

An eye-opening (to say the least) performance of third single “Paparazzi†at the VMAsâ€â€a show that would prove central to a number of items in this articleâ€â€made her super-weird personality as famous as her super-weird pop songs, and the release of “Bad Romance†late in the year also cemented her as the most important music video artist of her era. Gaga marked a return to a sort of classic pop star modelâ€â€one where every single, every appearance and every video became an unignorable eventâ€â€that was badly lacking with most of the ’00s hitmakers, and also demonstrated how dance-pop could be as fruitful as hip-hop and R&B as a base sound for a ’00s (soon-to-be ’10s) megastar.

292px-January_27%2C_2009_Nokia_5800_Laun

2. The Black Eyed Peas owned the summer. An underrated force in the noramlization of dance music across the Top 40, the will.i.am.-led Peas topped the Hot 100 for a record 26 weeks with two impossibly massive singlesâ€â€the retro-futuristic, robo-funky “Boom Boom Pow†and the four/four, crowd-pleasing “I Gotta Feeling.†Once a leading light in the conscious rap movement, the Peas had now gone totally electronic, never to return to Joints & Jams, and the people couldn’t get enough of itâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Boom†and “Feeling†went a combined 13 times platinum, the two biggest non-Gaga hits of 2009.

The BEPs would also prove the public’s appetite for over-excited, exceedingly party-friendly pop-rapâ€â€a trend also established in 2009 by the breakout success of Pitbull (“I Know You Want Me,†“Hotel Room Serviceâ€), and the first party-rock transmissions from LMFAO (“I’m in Miami Bitch,†“Shotsâ€), and one that would obviously last well into the next decade."

REST CAN BE READ AT: http://popdust.com/2013/03/15/15-reasons-2009-was-the-year-that-everything-changed-in-pop-music/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Americano

Only downside to this is that it's 2013 now, not 2009, and things have certainly changed since then.

The Black Eyed Peas aren't even a thing anymore.

Doogi

Yeah LoveGame was 3rd. Paparazzi was 4th. Oh well :ohwell:

I'm Chloe. Except the C and the L are silent.

heavyMetalGAGA

Only downside to this is that it's 2013 now, not 2009, and things have certainly changed since then.

The Black Eyed Peas aren't even a thing anymore.

Yea, but she's still beyond everyone else...her only real competition now is Rihanna. And in sales/cultural impact/fans, gaga has her way beat IMO

they had to mention madonna...............

and paparazzi was the 4th single after lovegame

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Doogi

Sure they mentioned Madonna... But it was in the context of Gaga becoming the second coming of Madge :ARTPOP: :gaga:

I'm Chloe. Except the C and the L are silent.

Brilliant article,

Circa 2009 was the biggest revolution in music since Nirvana, Mariah, and the rise of hip hop in the early 90s.

"The Black Eyed Peas aren't even a thing anymore."

Long as will.i.am is having hits in the same style with Britney and LMFAO and PSY type songs occasionally dominate, that trend continues.

TSUNAMI

Amazing.

And we all knew that before. GaGa became a trend with her Bowie lighting, hairbows, make-up, s-xuality, EDM, lead generation etc.

All eyes were on her and lots of artists faded away.

heavyMetalGAGA

Brilliant article,

Circa 2009 was the biggest revolution in music since Nirvana, Mariah, and the rise of hip hop in the early 90s.

"The Black Eyed Peas aren't even a thing anymore."

Long as will.i.am is having hits in the same style with Britney and LMFAO and PSY type songs occasionally dominate, that trend continues.

I totally agree. 2009 was such a special time for pop culture, even 2010 and somewhat of 2011. I hope 2013 can be at least half as special as 2009-2010 were

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived