Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Why is everyone obsessing over a stadium tour for ARTPOP?

Rich Kid

Featured Posts

Pop Muse Tumblr

further proof why gaga should've done stadiums in australia instead of coming here in the middle of winter:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560847/taylor-swifts-red-tour-to-play-stadiums-in-australia

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/taylor-swift-to-play-stadiums-on-australian-tour/story-e6frfn09-1226637858626

"TAYLOR Swift is set to become the first female act since Madonna to play stadium shows in Australia.

The country/pop superstar will tour stadiums in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth this December, playing to around 180,000 Australian fans in just ten days.

It is the biggest Australian tour by a solo female performer since Madonna's 1993 visit.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/taylor-swift-to-play-stadiums-on-australian-tour/story-e6frfn09-1226637858626#ixzz2SmcqEUJd"

this news is getting A LOT OF PRESS HERE. it is a big deal that hardly any solo acts do stadiums in australia.

i'm sure that by the end of 2013, taylor swift's stadiums shows will be remembered more by the australian general public than pink's gazillion arena shows.

gaga and rihanna really dropped the ball here and played it way too safe.  :fail: i hope muse don't make the same mistake and choose to do arenas AT THE SAME TIME THAT TAYLOR IS DOING STADIUMS, when muse is one of the best stadium live acts around.

i'm actually tempted to see taylor now  :) stadiums MAKE LEGENDS.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jjang

50% of the reason is because they want her to be the best, pull in the most money, beat Madonna's highest grossing tour, have the highest grossing tour of the year and one of the highest grossing (if not the highest grossing) tour of all time. And the other 50% of the reason is that more stadiums will mean a shorter, less taxing tour which will be easier on her body after her injury.

I think a stadium tour would be an amazing opportunity for Gaga and would prove to the world that she's one of the greats. However, it's clear that she's not ready for a 100% stadium tour. At this stage, she's still got to do a good mixture of arenas and stadiums. Even Madonna has never done a 100% stadium tour and almost all her US dates are at arenas. The only artists I can think of who've done a 100% stadium tour is U2 and that was when they were 20 years into their career. No one can carry off a tour like that at Gaga's stage of the game. I don't see a problem with her doing stadiums in the areas with the highest demand and doing one or two arenas for all the places in between. In Asia, Oceania and Africa, she can do 100% stadium gigs, even if there's not many. I found stadiums in these areas that would have contained the same amount of people she performed her over the course of 3/4 arena dates (and if ARTPOP is even more successful than BTW and gets the public back on her side, she might be able to perform at even more venues/bigger stadiums in these areas). She can do all stadiums in the UK, maybe one huge and one small stadium in France, one stadium in Germany, one small stadium in Russia and so on. In Latin America, it would be best to have just one stadium gig in the major countries and just see if there's any demand for a second and go for smaller stadiums. In the US, she can do stadiums in all the major states where she's most popular - New York, California, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania. They don't need to be the biggest stadiums on offer, just reasonable sized ones and the other states can have arenas. She can do arenas everywhere else and add in more dates if one arena/stadium isn't enough. Simple.

This.

But I still think she's still far away of achieving a tour as successful as S&S.

Luc

I'll just make a list of advantages and disadvantages of stadium shows (compared to arena shows):

Advantages:

-More attention for the show. It's a bigger deal when somebody does a stadium show.

-Bigger attendance, gross, everything.

-Somebody will be known as a performing 'legend', something that won't happen to somebody like Katy Perry.

-The ethos is usually much better.

-Better for Gaga's health, with arena dates, she'd need to play MANY dates. About 2-5 per city on average. You can do 1 stadium date (2-5 for bigger cities like Mexico City, Rio, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, Sydney, Jakarta, Hong Kong, London, Paris, Los Angeles, New York, etc.) which would make it less tiring for Gaga.

-Less focus on the dancing (Gaga's not the best dancer out there), more on the vocals (the acoustic part of Gaga's show already is amazing in arena tours, but when you focus more on the vocals and the emotions put in the vocals, it'll be even more amazing). Vocals are Gaga's best point, visuals can be done good too.

Disadvantages:

-It's risky, the thing that happened in Latin America can happen. The same would've happened in Oceania if she went with stadiums there. However, if Gaga played all arenas in Latin America she'd be exhausted much faster.

-Not a better fan experience.

-Gaga can talk less with her audience, Gaga can see people in their seats just as bad as people see Gaga from their seats.

-People will be staring at the big screens the biggest part of the show.

-I don't feel like Gaga's ready for it. It's a lot more pressure and everything.

Gaga COULD do a 50/50 tour, but the tour should be planned properly, the tickets on sale a lot of time before the show and the tour must be good enough to make people want to see her again next time. It must also be promoted properly. 

craig

It is the biggest Australian tour by a solo female performer since Madonna's 1993 visit.

That's gotta be bull****.

Pink and Kylie have played to over 180k fans there in the course of a tour.

Showgirl Homecoming tour in 2006 had 20 arena dates there.

Pop Muse Tumblr

That's gotta be bull****.

Pink and Kylie have played to over 180k fans there in the course of a tour.

Showgirl Homecoming tour in 2006 had 20 arena dates there.

and this is why luc's point rings so true:

Luc, on 09 May 2013 - 20:56, said:

Advantages:

-More attention for the show. It's a bigger deal when somebody does a stadium show.

to be honest, more people will remember michael jackson or madonna's three sydney cricket grounds than dire straits' 18 sydney entertainment centres  :deadbanana:

Radio Radio

a filled up stadium looks great and bring higher gross revenues and now, pretty every artist can sold out an arena. and tbh, there is a kind of a goal to outperform other artists i think

Archived