:

:

:

movie

Joker Folie À Deux Debuts $5.9 Million In Its Final Market, China

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

“Joker: Folie à Deux” debuted over the weekend in its final major market, China, where the offbeat comic book sequel landed behind “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” on box office charts. 

A re-release of the second “Harry Potter” movie earned $4.6 million over the weekend, while “Joker 2” brought in $5.9 million from 11,204 screens across a five-day frame. The original 2019 “Joker,” which grossed a staggering $743 million overseas, wasn’t released in China. Warner Bros. is the distributor of both “Joker” and the “Harry Potter” franchise and reported the order on box office charts, but the studio would not provide clarity on the comparative three-day number for “Joker 2.”

At the international box office, “Folie à Deux” added $14.7 million from 78 markets over the weekend, boosting its overseas tally to $135.5 million. With $56.4 million in North America, the film has grossed $192 million to date. It cost $200 million to produce and is poised to lose at least $150 million to $200 million in its theatrical run.

All eight films in the magical series about everyone’s favorite boy wizard are returning to Chinese movie theaters, starting with the original “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” on Oct. 11. The first “Potter” movie placed second on China’s box office charts with $6.6 million, behind local-language war drama “The Volunteers: The Battle of Life and Death,” and has generated $10 million to date. The re-release will continue with the remaining seven titles dropping on a weekly basis through November. The “Harry Potter” films were produced between 2001 and 2011, a period in which the film industry in China was rapidly evolving but not yet operating at today’s levels. So, this is the first time the franchise is playing on such a grand scale in the country.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/joker-folie-a-deux-behind-harry-potter-china-box-office-1236183900/

Keep in mind that foreign film studio receives only 25% of the box office revenues when it releases in China, so WB is still losing money

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • LMAO 1

ShayCristoforo

I’m waiting to see it until Friday when Disease drops. Hope it’s like riding a rollercoaster 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

tlittlemonster
3 minutes ago, ShayCristoforo said:

I’m waiting to see it until Friday when Disease drops. Hope it’s like riding a rollercoaster 

I actually really enjoyed it!

Unless you're a DC super fun, I'm sure you'll love it 😜 

• Like 1

RAMROD
5 minutes ago, ShayCristoforo said:

Make sure it is still playing at your local theaters. Heard rumor many locations will stop playing it since the 3 weeks deals with warner is over last week. 

Doroteyo

i watched it yesterday, truly the script was so poorly written it made me lose all hope for the current state of the film industry. how they could release a rough first draft with such bland character work is beyond me, but i keep seeing this pattern across streaming platforms as well -- blockbusters are in a creative hole rn. 

ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY
3 hours ago, RAMROD said:

It cost $200 million to produce and is poised to lose at least $150 million to $200 million in its theatrical run.

If the film made 192 million on a budget of 200 million, how is it going to lose 150-200 million? They were idiots for making the budget that high (it doesn’t even look like it costs that much) because once they let that slip it became a commercial failure when any other movie making that much would be a huge success. 

RAMROD
2 minutes ago, ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY said:

If the film made 192 million on a budget of 200 million, how is it going to lose 150-200 million? They were idiots for making the budget that high (it doesn’t even look like it costs that much) because once they let that slip it became a commercial failure when any other movie making that much would be a huge success. 

There other costs such as promotion that is not included. Also, the movie need to make $375 million just to break even with that budget. Meaning if they even reach that amount, WB doesn't  get any profits, but only getting back what they spent to make the movie. But if the movie didn't reach that threshold, they are losing money even more cos they didn't even get back what they have spent. In any case it is a lose-lose situation for WB, the movie producers, and WB's investors.

To this day, nobody even know what such huge and bloated budget are for, especially since none of the main casts nor the directors getting $50M each. Todd Phillips and star Joaquin Phoenix were both paid $20m and supporting actor Lady Gaga $12m; so just over a quarter of the $200m production budget.