Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
music news

Vinyl Sales Plummets 33% After A Decade Of Rapid Growth

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

According to new data, vinyl sales dropped by more than 30% in 2024 compared to the same time last year. This sharp decline comes as a surprise after years of the format’s steady growth. In fact, the format has been seeing a fast rise in sales for almost 10 years now.

So, what gives? Has vinyl’s second wind peaked, or is this just a natural market correction?

Billboard’s latest report reveals a staggering 33.3% drop in vinyl sales for 2024 compared to the previous year. In concrete terms, that’s a fall from 34.9 million units in 2023 to just 23.3 million in 2024.

But the drop in vinyl sales isn’t happening in isolation. The decline is symptomatic of a broader trend affecting traditional music formats across the board.

In fact, traditional music formats are seeing declines across the board.

CD sales have taken a 19.5% hit, while digital albums have slipped by 8.3%.

In total, album sales across all formats have nosedived by 23.8% year-over-year, tumbling from 75.5 million to 57.5 million units.

Meanwhile, audio-on-demand streaming continues its ascent, notching a 7.2% increase. This suggests that more listeners are turning to streaming platforms than owning physical media

Still, the severity of vinyl’s decline stands out.

A 33.3% plunge is no small potatoes, especially when contrasted with the format’s steady upward trajectory over the past decade.

Several factors may explain this sudden dip in vinyl’s popularity. The most obvious? Vinyl is not cheap.
Inflation, higher interest rates, and increasing everyday expenses are squeezing consumer budgets. That makes it harder to justify non-essential purchases like a limited-edition vinyl. But, we can’t really blame the artists for the increase in pricing entirely.

Pressing vinyl records is a pricey, time-consuming process. And, the pandemic threw a wrench in the works, worsening the supply chain issues and driving up manufacturing costs.

Even now, production bottlenecks persist, creating a severe imbalance between supply and demand.

Add to that the rising cost of raw materials (especially PVC) and a shortage of skilled workers in vinyl production. All these cook up a perfect storm of factors driving up prices.

Inevitably, the higher production costs are often passed on to consumers.

Yet, despite previous price hikes, vinyl sales were still on the up and up until this recent decline. This suggests that the market was willing to bear higher prices. Meaning, the decline could be more complex than just a reaction to cost.

With this in mind, we can also say that counterfeit records may also contribute to the current drop in vinyl sales.

Part of vinyl’s resurgence was fueled by nostalgia and a certain “coolness” factor.

For years, vinyl was the go-to format for music lovers seeking an “authentic” listening experience, complete with gorgeous album art and insightful liner notes.

But like any trend, the novelty may be wearing thin. As the hype dies down, casual listeners might be opting to streamline their collections or stick with more convenient formats like streaming.

The mass appeal may be tapering off, but vinyl remains a premium product. It’s possible that we’re seeing it settle into a niche but a dedicated market that prioritizes craftsmanship and nostalgia over mass-market convenience.

Moreover, market corrections are a natural part of any industry’s lifecycle.

The vinyl market may simply be finding its level after several years of explosive growth.

Besides, the initial vinyl boom was fueled by millennials and Gen Z rediscovering the format. As with any trend, rapid growth isn’t sustainable forever.

Whether this is the beginning of the end or just a temporary setback, it’s clear vinyl isn’t about to disappear entirely.

It already survived decades of technological advancements. Its tactile, nostalgic charm will endure, even as sales may be cooling off.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2024/10/vinyl-sales-fall-compared-last-year/

https://www.billboard.com/h/music-streams-sales-us-weekly-totals/

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Shook 2

Red

NO MORE VARIANTS

On Fire GIF

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • LMAO 8
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 4

HelloHangoverz

The fact is, vinyl looks cool on the internet. Then you try it for yourself: firstly, it's expensive. Then, it's a pain in the ass to listen to because you've got to get up and change it round every 20 minutes. It's all for show in my opinion. My Chromatica trifold vinyl is gorgeous and has pride of place on my shelf, but I've never listened to her. Vinyl is a big fad that will pass and yes I will die on this hill. Roll on the CD revival.

my head is filled with broken mirrors, so many I can't look away
  • Like 8
  • LMAO 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

robotvoiceinalice

honestly i think globally alot of people are struggling with money so spending a fortune on a vinyl record when you could always get a collectors thing later and instead stream or buy or download your faves music for much less just isn't the vibe anymore

• Thanks 8

Hyperobject

I mean, I don’t know about other countries, but where I live vinyls are VERY expensive, so these days… it just makes no sense to me to spend so much money on something most won’t even play once lol 

also, CDs are just better imo, I still play my Gaga’s CDs every now and then and they SLAP

• YAAAS 2

bionic

There's a reason the world moved on from vinyl in the first place.

In year of our lord 2024 you should only be considering vinyl for the aesthetic or collector capability

buy bionic
  • Like 3

Hyperobject
2 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

The fact is, vinyl looks cool on the internet. Then you try it for yourself: firstly, it's expensive. Then, it's a pain in the ass to listen to because you've got to get up and change it round every 20 minutes. It's all for show in my opinion. My Chromatica trifold vinyl is gorgeous and has pride of place on my shelf, but I've never listened to her. Vinyl is a big fad that will pass and yes I will die on this hill. Roll on the CD revival.

you stealing my comment, why? :dom:

• LMAO 2

River

the moment they started to abuse it with variants, people just stopped buying, it's nice to collect things until it's not

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

HelloHangoverz
Just now, Hyperobject said:

I mean, I don’t know about other countries, but where I live vinyls are VERY expensive, so these days… it just makes no sense to me to spend so much money on something most won’t even play once lol 

also, CDs are just better imo, I still play my Gaga’s CDs every now and then and they SLAP

I was so annoyed when they released Die With A Smile instrumental on the 7 inch only. We'd be able to rip it if it was available on CD. I know you can rip it from a vinyl but it's all hissy and poppy and you can't invert an acapella from it in audacity. :grr:

my head is filled with broken mirrors, so many I can't look away
  • Like 1

TEETHTEETH

What gives?? Nearly everyone is conserving money and most cannot even buy necessities. Eating cereal for dinner isn’t even a joke. 

this article seems out of touch. 

• Thanks 1

bionic
1 minute ago, Whigney Houstan said:

What will Taylor do now?  

Cassettes

buy bionic

Hyperobject
1 minute ago, Whigney Houstan said:

What will Taylor do now?  

Release more exclusive digital variants :ororomunroe:

Hyperobject
2 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

I was so annoyed when they released Die With A Smile instrumental on the 7 inch only. We'd be able to rip it if it was available on CD. I know you can rip it from a vinyl but it's all hissy and poppy and you can't invert an acapella from it in audacity. :grr:

I’m hoping this will finally stop this unnecessary vinyl craze tbh, it’s just annoying atp 

people don’t listen to them, no one needs 10 versions of the same song or album on a freaking vinyl disk lol, like CDs are just way more convenient, invest in that, labels?! 

• YAAAS 2

Economy

Probably ppl are starting to realize that this supposed superior sound quality is a total myth

If the digital format is good quality and your speakers are good, vinyl wont enhance it any further. That may have been true decades ago but speakers and digital has come a long way

Theyve done blind studies and people couldnt tell the difference. So its all in ppls heads and labels take advantage of this false belief for marketing purposes :madge:

Edited by Economy
  • Like 3