Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
series

Discarded SAILOR MOON Character Designs Resurface.

OliviaRodrigoStan

Featured Posts

OliviaRodrigoStan

Apparently Youichi Fukano, who worked in the 90s as character designer for Sailor Moon, has shared on Twitter some obscure, unused designs that he made for Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, and Sailor Saturn. 

GWu3w-Ng-XYAEFM7-V.jpg

Sailor Pluto, who already had an official design, remains largely the same, except her sailor outfit is lavender, rather than black. The other three are apparently Fukano's creation, and it seems like only Neptune left Naoko satisfied enough, as she is the only one who was left virtually untouched, except for her footwear. 

GWuzdk-KWo-AAWPEX.jpg

Clearly Naoko's vision was pretty much set from the beginning, as you can see a lot of concepts from her final designs, present in Fukano's sketches: Saturn being younger and close to Chibiusa's age, Uranus being somehow masculine presenting and having short hair, etc. The silhouettes, are pretty much the same for the three characters, only the colors difer (dramatically). 

36976a4ef9af0bf5b2d7c09152cf75ee.jpg

Personally I'm glad those were discarded. I prefer Naoko's final design for all of them. I do wonder who is to be credited for Neptune's design though: did Naoko had her designed in advance, just like Pluto, or is that Fukano's original design? because she looks the same, nothing was really changed for the final release, unlike the other two. 

Do you like Fukano's vision for Uranus and Saturn besties? :classy:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 3

OliviaRodrigoStan
3 minutes ago, Killa said:

so who would be that cute chibusa friend?

That would be Hotaru/Sailor Saturn 

IMG-20240917-165022.jpg

HEART OF EVER-FROST

Killa
2 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

That would be Hotaru/Sailor Saturn 

IMG-20240917-165022.jpg

ah silly me :icant:. god she even already knew they'd be friends from the get go. No wonder all the sagas seem so fluid even though the whole future past jdapsdaosids is a bit of a mess hahha

OliviaRodrigoStan
13 minutes ago, Edonis said:

That Haruka design is CURSED 

I feel like her design was reused for Seiya/Fighter. They look alike TBH. 

IMG-20240917-170413.jpg

HEART OF EVER-FROST

YASKALE

So interesting! Thank you for surfacing and sharing. 

I don’t think these are as good as what we got, although Saturn as bright yellow is super interesting. 

• Love 1

Roronoa

I just watched my first episode of Sailor Moon yesterday. I hope to join the fandom soon. :party:

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
6 minutes ago, Roronoa said:

I just watched my first episode of Sailor Moon yesterday. I hope to join the fandom soon. :party:

It's a wonderful franchise, very, VERY ahead of its time in terms of LGBT representation. Thirty years ago, it had not one, but two openly gay couples

in a show for children, and it was presented as something natural and organic. 

We had the iconic Zoisite and Kunzite romance: 

agkyni0wk0h51.jpg

The legendary lesbian power couple Haruka and Michiru: 

haruka-michiru-light-e1503323315322.jpg

And gender non conforming characters, like my twin Fish-Eye, who was male, but presented as more femenine than the entire cast: 

sddefault.jpg

Obviously certain elements of it are super dated by today's standards, like the formulaic system of "monster of the day", etc. But for its time, this was a very, very sophisticated show, considering its target demographic. 

HEART OF EVER-FROST

RebeldeFaith

I love seeing this so much! It's so fascinating to see how series that have shaped pop culture so much could have been so different from what we got.

Something something idk

OliviaRodrigoStan
8 minutes ago, RebeldeFaith said:

I love seeing this so much! It's so fascinating to see how series that have shaped pop culture so much could have been so different from what we got.

Same. I love this type of stuff. Most of the die hard fans already know this, but originally, all the Sailor Scouts were supposed to have unique outfits, and fantasy hair colors: 

do-you-like-the-prototype-sailor-moon-or

Naoko eventually discarded this idea, but I still think these designs are very charming and full of personality. 

Back to the anime, this was one of the unreleased concepts for the final season, by Fukano: 

tumblr-556bfee445a8867ae03e86bd8aa630f3-

It was discarded and we got Eternal Sailor Moon instead. I love all of these behind the scenes, concept arts, lol. 

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

RebeldeFaith
34 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

Same. I love this type of stuff. Most of the die hard fans already know this, but originally, all the Sailor Scouts were supposed to have unique outfits, and fantasy hair colors: 

do-you-like-the-prototype-sailor-moon-or

Naoko eventually discarded this idea, but I still think these designs are very charming and full of personality. 

Back to the anime, this was one of the unreleased concepts for the final season, by Fukano: 

tumblr-556bfee445a8867ae03e86bd8aa630f3-

It was discarded and we got Eternal Sailor Moon instead. I love all of these behind the scenes, concept arts, lol. 

Yes!!! I always wished they all had fantasy hair colors. But Usagi has such an easily identifiable hair that it's almost impossible to visualize what kind of impact pink would've been like vs the yellow. I can still dream though. 

Something something idk
  • Like 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
10 minutes ago, RebeldeFaith said:

But Usagi has such an easily identifiable hair that it's almost impossible to visualize what kind of impact pink would've been like vs the yellow. I can still dream though. 

Well, she does canonically get silver/white hair both in the manga and the animated versions, when she becomes Neo Queen Serenity: 

01185e35b00d03d8ce8345c2be76b16b3c2224ae

Naoko still made several illustrations of the inner senshi with fantasy hair color though, even after the series became a hit: 

bc2ecc2706efc5ef1546a304264bf6b4cc5d97cf

But I guess it was only a "stylized" thing, for the illustration. She drew them with only natural hair colors too: 

ce407278d3c50406476e95e2652130f3.png

More than once. In another illustration, she made Neptune a ginger. 

This idea was kind of revisited in the live action series, where they all had natural hair colors, until they transform: 

image.jpg?v=1722625342&width=1445

HEART OF EVER-FROST