question

Will Joker: FAD go for Musical/Comedy or Drama at Golden Globes?

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

Thoughts? How will it affect the Oscar campaign for both the movie and the actors?

I think it should go for Musical/Comedy. It doesn't seem strong enough to win in the Drama category but in Musical, it stands a chance. Gaga as a supporting actress wouldn't be affected that much at the Globes (there's no distinction made for supporting categories), but the fact that she is recognised as a musical actress means voters would evaluate her as one, rather than an actress of drama. I think the difference in perception tips the odds in her favour.

On another note, GoldDerby has removed Gaga from Best Actress predictions as they seemed to have got confirmation that Gaga is going for Supporting. I think it's a great thing since it's presumably less competitive there. She's also tried her hands in lead actress twice without much luck, so maybe Supporting will finally win her an Oscar this time.

Edited by Bradley
  • Like 1

Head Empty

Judging by the early interviews and reactions, I'm not sure if it would be considered a musical. Much less a comedy. But it's hard to say without having seen it.

Honestly I'd keep expectations low in terms of Oscars, regardless of reception or categories. Some of the greatest actors/directors/movies of all time haven't noms or wins. Let alone for movies that have mixed reactions. Great performances getting snubbed is part of the course.

LilyLark
5 minutes ago, Head Empty said:

Judging by the early interviews and reactions, I'm not sure if it would be considered a musical. Much less a comedy. But it's hard to say without having seen it.

Honestly I'd keep expectations low in terms of Oscars, regardless of reception or categories. Some of the greatest actors/directors/movies of all time haven't noms or wins. Let alone for movies that have mixed reactions. Great performances getting snubbed is part of the course.

True, but studios and actors/actresses commit category fraud all the time lol. My guess is they'll try and stick it in the musical category.

My guess is it will do well at the box office and garner several Golden Globe nominations, but miss the Oscars, BAFTAs, etc. And honestly, that's fine. It's rare for comic book films to get more than the GGs and this is a competitive year as it is "and" the reviews are mixed (more so than the first one).

Bradley
7 minutes ago, Head Empty said:

She's still part of the conversation. Rami Malek won an Oscar for Bohemian Rhapsody and the movie had an MC score of like 50+.

Joker: FAD being divisive is not a decisive verdict yet for its fate in award season. The public hasn't spoken. The box office hasn't. If it performs well commercially and garners enough traction, I can see the Oscars wanting to recognise it. Especially in the acting categories where there's pretty much unanimous praise for Joaquin and Gaga.

Bradley

Also by definition the critics are saying it is definitely a musical.

The Wrap: (And yes, “Folie à Deux” does qualify as a musical by any meaningful interpretation, no matter what kind of spin they try to put on it.)

Personally I love that it's a musical, I think it lends merit to the movie but I can understand why they wanted to de-emphasise it for commercial reasons.

Edited by Bradley

Galagala

If it goes Comedy/Musical, it can get nominated. The plot is def drama tho.

Ophelia
35 minutes ago, Head Empty said:

I saw it and it’s 100% a classic musical, they sing A LOT. There was not that much of comedy, some single jokes here and there (he’s the Joker after all)

...has anybody seen my disco stick?
  • Like 2
  • Shook 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
1 hour ago, Ophelia said:

I saw it and it’s 100% a classic musical, they sing A LOT. There was not that much of comedy, some single jokes here and there (he’s the Joker after all)

Did she seemed comfortable in the role? did you found her acting natural?

HEART OF EVER-FROST