Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
movie

Critics Reviews । Joker: Folie à Deux

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Battle 4 Ur Life

Empire’s Review is actually really good and they’re among the most important film publications ever since I was a kid. Thy actually know what they’re doing so I’m gonna adopt that review as my definitive one. It’s a good read.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/joker-folie-a-deux/

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”
  • Like 2

Battle 4 Ur Life
On 9/4/2024 at 1:09 PM, Vitleysingur said:

this author has an insufferable tone from the start. if you need to use the world “incel” literally two sentences into the very first paragraph. I’m sorry but there’s no other way around than to say not only you’re based, biased and intellectually challenged af but you’re also a hack under qualified for your job as a communicator if you need to use that kind of whistling to address someone’s art.

and who gives a single s* about indie wire. real sad people.

Edited to relief the stress and bring the tone down, I was pissed off.

Edited by Battle 4 Ur Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Reality

If the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores can stay consistent with the first movie, it'll be fine. And from the looks of it, that's what's happening. I wish both were better, but it's still early days. Many more critics will need to see the film. That said, don't expect either score to increase dramatically. If anything, as more reviews pour in, they will probably decrease.

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

Ladle Ghoulash
6 hours ago, mamo said:

Gaga needs to be more selective with her choice of directors imo. Denis Villeneuve, Guillermo Del Toro, Pablo Larrain, Pedro Almodovar, Luca Guadagnino, Jane Campion, Greta Gerwig, Baz Luhrman, The Daniels etc. Preferably directors and scripts that are focused on telling stories from a woman's perspective.

All three films she's starred in have ended up focussing on her male counterparts. It's become a pattern. I think her next few films need to focus solely on her character and she has the lead billing alone. Imo that's the only way she'll win Best actress. 

Also If she's going to hypothetically do another musical, I need her to go full showgirl. There's nothing wrong with playing to her strengths, as long as it serves the film as a whole. 

But I do agree that she just needs to have a bit of fun and do something less serious. 

Gaga in an Almodovar film would be unreal tbh 

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 3

Ladle Ghoulash
8 minutes ago, Battle 4 Ur Life said:

this author has an insufferable tone from the start. if you need to use the world “incel” literally two sentences into the very first paragraph. I’m sorry but there’s no other way around than to say not only you’re based, biased and intellectually challenged af but you’re also a f* hack under qualified for your job as a communicator if you need to use that kind of whistling to address someone’s art.

this guy needs to keep on fhimself.

and who gives a single s* about indie wire. real sad people.

Why is the syntax on this lowkey giving Trump :icant:

• LMAO 1

Battle 4 Ur Life
12 hours ago, Reality said:

ANOTHER ACTUAL DECENT RESPECTABLE REVIEW SOURCE TKS GUYS. You can tell who actually knows what they’re doing when they put effort in telling you what the movie is/looks/sounds/feels like instead of yapping about what they feel like their bros might be interested in knowing related to how they perceive the movie bla bla bla and some relation to their cat’s farts or some BS that (edit: MAAANY) reviewers get away with nowadays to try force a personality into their text to pretty much beg for people to support their struggling publications. If the Guardian and The New York Times also begs for donations who do you think these critics are? please tell me I’m wrong.

• Like 1

Hyperobject
6 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

Gaga in an Almodovar film would be unreal tbh 

ugh, I need her to work with Yorgos Lanthimos like TODAY… 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Battle 4 Ur Life
9 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

Why is the syntax on this lowkey giving Trump :icant:

lol maybe he just talks how I write on the internet on a second non native language without really worrying about it.

my country isn’t considering electing me for Commander in Chief tho………..

:icant:

:ohwell:

• Love 1

Squidward T

I prefect final score 

Rotten Tomatoes: 55% 

metacritic: 50/100 

bowlsofbrett

We need to just wait until the film is out before panicking. This was always going to be a polarizing film. Bro culture lost their minds when they found out it was gonna have music in it. 

I’m hoping it’s one of those “Those who get it, get it” type of movies. 

• Like 3

OMF

From Rotten Tomatoes:

DOES IT LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS?

The highly anticipated sequel to Joker is as deranged and exciting as you would have hoped.
— Ben Rolph, Discussing Film

Joker: Folie à Deux will surprise many people for its ingenuity… It’ll get people talking as much, if not even more, than the first.
— Ema Sasic, Next Best Picture

This is one of the most unique takes on comic book characters I’ve seen on film… Phillips deserves praise for taking bold creative risks that pay off in unexpected ways.
— Dorian Parks, Geeks of Color

[It’s] unlike anything I imagined it would be.
— Catalina Combs, Black Girl Nerds

[It’s an] ingenious and deeply unsettling film.
— Geoffrey Macnab, Independent

Folie à Deux is a movie tailored to its expectations, yes. But the Joker’s trick is that it rejects them, a bravado move from Phillips that’s sure to hemorrhage his fan base.
— Luke Hicks, The Film Stage

Joker: Folie à Deux may be ambitious and superficially outrageous, but at heart, it’s an overly cautious sequel.
— Owen Gleiberman, Variety

• Thanks 1

OMF

Continuing from previous post:

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE FIRST JOKER?

This is far more entertaining of a film than the first.
— Yasmine Kandil, AwardsWatch

Just as bleak and formally daring… just as edgy and disturbing as its forerunner.
— Geoffrey Macnab, Independent

Phillips and Silver have delivered the last thing anyone expected: a socially responsible Joker movie that finds an intriguing way to explore the consequences (both on and offscreen) of the first film.
— Matthew Turner, NME

Unlike the original, which finds a perverse heroism in Arthur Fleck’s failings, Folie à Deuxdoubles down on how pathetic he is, and always was.
— William Bibbiani, The Wrap

Though it ends up as strident, laborious, and often flat-out tedious as the first film, there’s an improvement.
— Peter Bradshaw, Guardian

Die-hard fans of the first film may have some reservations about this story, which looks to course-correct some of the events and interpretations of the first film and its presentation.

WHAT ABOUT LADY Gaga AS HARLEY QUINN?

Lady Gaga is equally good as Harleen, sparking palpably insane chemistry with Phoenix.
— Matthew Turner, NME

By far the riskiest role the famous artist has taken on, she is extraordinary and lights up the screen with her deranged presence just as much as Phoenix did in the first film.

Gaga is a compelling live-wire presence, splitting the difference between affinity and obsession.
— David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

Gaga shines in the sequel’s musical sequences.
— Ben Rolph, Discussing Film

Gaga’s musical performance was incredible.
— Catalina Combs, Black Girl Nerds

Gaga doesn’t quite reach the mania that Harley Quinn ought to have but still packs a wallop where it counts.
— Kyle Anderson, Nerdist

Gaga never gets a chance to do what she did in A Star Is Born: seize the audience with her rapture.
— Owen Gleiberman, Variety

Edited by OMF
Added more text
  • Thanks 1

OMF
40 minutes ago, Squidward T said:

I prefect final score 

Rotten Tomatoes: 55% 

metacritic: 50/100 

I was expecting higher on RT. Medactitic scores are usually lower. This seems they both rate it as middle of the road. Curious to see how I feel about it when I get to watch.

lilboyblue

"Gaga needs to pick her roles better"

Joker: FAD is about as high profile as it gets without resorting to MCU roles. It had Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips who are coming from Joker success. Like, really, you consider all that plus a music-adjacent script, you won't accept the role?

If any, I think the problem might have been that they marketed Gaga as lead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1