💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new video

Anthony Fantano: “Katy Perry’s fall off needs to be studied”

SimonBaetens

Featured Posts

fede ARTPOP

All her music sounds the same, + her basic performances and zero impact in pop culture, overall no evolution in her career. 

🖤 C H R O M A T I C A 🖤

Freezie03

I think what's interesting about Katy's downfall in comparison to some other artists who fallen in terms of popularity is that I don't think Katy is going to have a lasting fanbase or leave a great legacy. Like even though artists like Christina have fallen in terms of popularity, at least most of them haven't been made into a joke like Katy's reputation lately has. I've even seen many of her long-term fans disappointed with her. It's sad, really.

• Like 3

SimonBaetens
2 hours ago, Real Panda said:

No one needs to study Katy Perry or her "fall". This has happened to so many artists, lots of female artists who came before her. Cyndi Lauper, Paula Abdul, Christina Aguilera, and most recently Dua Lipa.

Dua Lipa?? Her latest album had several succesful singles, she’s currently on tour and her Barbie song was massive. Lifetimes and Woman’s World barely chart atm.

when you're lonely, I'll be lonely too
  • Like 3

SimonBaetens
2 hours ago, Bronco said:

1000% 
Chappell Roan is very much in the quirky, campy, fun school of pop girls. But it feels genuine, it feels lived and she has a clear vision for her work. 

Katy's biggest era was essentially given to her by collaborators and she went with it.  

Personally I think Katy's biggest problem is minus a few very very loud twitter stans, who actually knows of a Katy Perry fan? 

True, authenticity is crucial and Katy has always lacked that.

• Like 1

RochestrMonstr

I kinda figured when 3/5 of Prism’s singles underperformed, it was obvious that her imperial phase was over. 

She should have just been happy with smaller hits like CTTR and NRO if she didn’t want to evolve. 

• Like 2

Real Panda
14 minutes ago, SimonBaetens said:

Dua Lipa?? Her latest album had several succesful singles, she’s currently on tour and her Barbie song was massive. Lifetimes and Woman’s World barely chart atm.

I dont know where you are from, but to a lot of the countries that made Future Nostalgia (her Teenage Dream) so successful it was just not on par. FN sold more than 4.3 million in the US and 6.8 million worldwide total in the span of 4 years.

By comparison, Radical Optimism did not go #1 and sold 83,000 first week, you'd think after the success of FN it would be much higher especially in the US her biggest market and has only been certified Gold in 3 countries, 3 months after its release. 

Singles: Houdini peaked at #11 in the US, Training Season peaked at #27 in the US and only went #1 in Latvia, Lithuania and Turkey. And current single Illusion peaked at #43 in the US and did not go #1 on any country.

This is only on a commercial standpoint as I am not a fan of hers and I dont think we need to elaborate further how much Future Nostalgia singles performed commercially but none of the Radical Optimism songs have faired the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ssslyboy
3 hours ago, Snorlax said:

Womans World sounds like it's from 2012 and Lifetimes sounds like it's from 2016. That is her problem

So her fourth single will sound like 2024 and she'll finally get that #1! :legend:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 2

SimonBaetens
41 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

So her fourth single will sound like 2024 and she'll finally get that #1! :legend:

girl math!

RichAssPiss

Every generation has stars that last and adapt and stars who just becomes tertiary talents.

Most artists who smash big get about two huge record cycles and then a third record that either successfully pivots them to a new stage of career or kinda sinks them. 

I mean....not long ago Fergie and Iggy Azalea were smashing with #1's and now they're event less relevant than Katy. 

I think everyone pretty much agreed she was not a great singer and lacked depth even at her peak. So, why would anyone be surprised she didn't hold up over time? 

• Like 2

Jack3257

At least we can have one music release that doesn’t come with 4 new variants of Tortured Poets.

SlowLoris
6 hours ago, bionic said:

I disagree. It's not a mystery or particularly complex why she's flopping. Her fall is nothing remarkable. It would only be worth studying if she somehow came back from it

Yeah her music was always vapid and lacking in substance.  She could only stretch that so far, let alone the messed up sh1t she pulled recently