💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Katy explains Woman’s World MV: “sarcastic & slapstick”

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

faysalaaa

Shes mocking fake corporate feminism in the beginning of the video, then she becomes the version of feminism she believes in, and at the end she mocks the idea of her being not popular anymore.

Edited by faysalaaa
  • Shook 1

datlastfam

I wonder if she is aware that her audiences are not 14 to 18ish anymore, we’re all grown up adults now… its like she is trying so hard to revive her TD era with this MV comeback… its cringey :awkney:

Didymus

People never understood her humor and always underrated her concepts, whether in mv's, songs or performances (if they even noticed them). It's annoying.

I got the message from the first watch but I will say, the fact that the song itself is completely devoid of this ironic layer is a big reason why people aren't even curious.

• Like 2

PunkTheFunk
2 hours ago, GregJA said:

I believe she’s trying to secretly end her own career so no one asks her for more music after this album 

She's doing a great job, I'll give her that.

• YAAAS 1

Taylucifer

I think I get what she is going for, unfortunately it was not executed clearly 

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW
  • Like 1

Helxig

I think what she's trying to say is it's a reclamation of femninity in the form of the tropes that make up the concept of the male gaze, wrapped in humour. But I don't buy it. She's never been a girls' girl

It's ironic because in saying "it's like we're not about the male gaze.. but we really are about the male gaze" it makes it sound like the video is BS for social points and she actually believes women should care about the male gaze.. 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 1

liamgaga

I feel like she’s trying to be clever but ultimately she knows sex sells and therefore she’s got her t*ts out on purpose. She can say it’s satire but it’s not really, it’s irony that she makes a video claiming this is all on the nose whilst actually using the ‘male gaze’ as a way to sell. Does that even make sense lol 

• Thanks 1

just another gay
3 hours ago, Didymus said:

People never understood her humor and always underrated her concepts, whether in mv's, songs or performances (if they even noticed them). It's annoying.

I got the message from the first watch but I will say, the fact that the song itself is completely devoid of this ironic layer is a big reason why people aren't even curious.

agree, I actually really like her humor and campiness, but most of the time it really doesn't translate to the public well.

even she is "explaining" it here in the video, she didn't make it very clear.

Edited by just another gay
  • Like 1

Ants From Up There
10 minutes ago, liamgaga said:

I feel like she’s trying to be clever but ultimately she knows sex sells and therefore she’s got her t*ts out on purpose. She can say it’s satire but it’s not really, it’s irony that she makes a video claiming this is all on the nose whilst actually using the ‘male gaze’ as a way to sell. Does that even make sense lol 

I think the problem is that ultimately, her humor is quite dated and worked well in the early 2010's but has simply never translated during any time period after that. What I found quite ironic about the idea that her video is a "satire" of liberal feminism is that it straight up fails to acknowledge that her image throughout the 2010's encapsulated corporate, liberal feminism to a T. It's pretty apparent that the Rosie the Riveter imagery was meant to mock the way in which the idea women being "strong" enough to do things typically associated with men became a mainstay in corporate feminist messaging. But her debut album was literally called One of the Boys and was predicated upon the idea that it was subversive for her to fulfill typical feminine ideals while having humor crude enough to appeal to men :laughga: Ultimately, it rings as pretty hollow to attempt to satirize this while failing to reflect on your own place in the music industry, which is why it falls so laughably flat when the second portion of the video where she attempts to find her "place" as a woman in the present is equally as male gaze-y as the first portion lol

She doesn't have the acuity as a songwriter, or even as a curator of symbols and imagery to execute a critique, and much of this stems from the fact that she simply wasn't required to at her peak. If she was able to pull off a meta commentary on how she was used to market corporate feminism to the male gaze in the past but is searching for a way to evolve her image past that, it could have worked, but she doesn't have the coherence as an artist to pull that off. Pretty much everything post-Prism has just consisted of her throwing anything trendy against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

(Btw, for a music video that was actively able to pull of a critique of how it's possible to feed into the corporate exploitation of oneself as a female artist even when speaking on topics that are close to your heart, see Alanis' Hands Clean video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dH289KxkGw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

GagaGame

The long curly hair behind her didn't want to be there :laughga:

LG7? CANCELLED

Pennywise
12 hours ago, Bronco said:

Shooting Trump so we stop talking about her

I screamed next to my straight friend and had to explain why this is funny :messga:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Love 1

SOON
13 hours ago, River said:

I wonder who tf told her that she's funny :poot:

lied-somebody-lied-to-her-several-times.

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua
  • LMAO 1

TortureMeOnReplay
8 hours ago, Didymus said:

Why are we acting like Katy is a visionary with this music video when she's using feminism as an excuse to show her boobs? Not meaning to beat a horse to death but Dr.Luke is associated with the song, so let's stop trying to lie. And as others have mentioned, Katy falls flat on her face with this because she very much catered to the male gaze for the entirety of her career peak while not singing about anything other than men. 

• Like 5

chathonnete

I think the audience took it a bit too seriously, you can tell that the first part is meant to be sarcastic. However, the WHOLE video sounds like a parody, as if there is NO statement at all, and I think it's petty as the women rights subject is important. She could make it funny but at the same time make some statements about abortion, trans women rights, me too movement, but no... she decided to make a whole parody for 3 minutes straight, and make a woman abuser produce the song. I sometimes feel like Katy only takes the esthetism of things, and don't really make any true statements. Feels too empty for me. People like when artists are real. :triggered::triggered::triggered:

• Thanks 1