Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Is Gaga relatable?

Mr S

Featured Posts

Mr S
Posted (edited)

As we've seen with the success of Taylor, Billie, Olivia etc, its all about relatability in today's music environment. Gen Z and millennials wants someone they can relate to. Is Gaga relatable? Is there a place for weird Gaga in this environment?  Will it be a problem for the general public? I feel like it's kind of affected Beyonce who is probably the least relatable artist

Edited by Mr S

Red

I think her love yourself message could not be more relatable but Gaga herself isn’t that much. It’s not like no one would relate to her but she’s not the America’s girl next door either. 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Like 3

mamo
Posted (edited)

for me, yes.

The reason why Gaga built such a strong and immense fanbase at the beginning of her career was because a lot of us felt like we could relate to her. She was the "freak" and the "outcast" of the music industry who used her platform to give us all a safe space within her music, visuals and fashions. Also the fact she spoke up and fought fearlesly for the LGBTQ+ community at such a pivotal moment in her career made us all connect with her even more. 

Sure, she doesn't look like the typical artificial bubblegum popstar but that's why we love her so much. I think most of us aren't shallow and could see her beauty and heart beyond the image she presented. 

Edited by mamo
you can serve it to me ancient city style...
  • Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Rat Boy
Posted (edited)

For the average person not really and that’s why people find her weird/fascinating. 

Edited by Rat Boy
"I am a Walmart version of Rat Boy!” - River
  • Like 9

Schizophonic

I think Gaga is a bit stuck in a weird place when it comes to that.

At first she was totally relatable as the girl who fought her way to the top using myspace and gluing mirrors on her bra. Then she became this larger than life persona superstar, wich was not relatable BUT opened a whole world of escapism not only for her fans but for the GP. something that was almost like michael jackson. then she tried to break it down with joanne/asib and now she is somewhere in between. 

britney for example had in her early career that girls wanted to be like her and boys wanted a girl like her or thought she was hot. Gaga kind of broke the "sexy" superstar thing because she displayed herself never that way. 

now she is in a age where it's hard to attract a young audience that way, the relatable thing is not there and the larger than life status is currently not in the peak form.... for example madonna or cher went back to larger than life after their grounded relatable eras....

• Like 6

MOT

A highly intelligent, outrageously talented, utterly fearless global superstar of stage and screen. Is she relatable ? Not to me, but that's ok.

• Like 2

Nessun Dorma

I’m a millennial and Gaga is probably the artist I can most relate to. Especially for being so open about her mental health. I find her so truthful and charismatic. She really seems to be a grounded person and a good daughter, sister, friend, girlfriend etc. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Schizophonic
4 minutes ago, Nessun Dorma said:

I’m a millennial and Gaga is probably the artist I can most relate to. Especially for being so open about her mental health. I find her so truthful and charismatic. She really seems to be a grounded person and a good daughter, sister, friend, girlfriend etc. 

but u have to take a deep dive into her to find out about that... if you just see her public persona most people still would come up with meat dress and weird performances. 

Nessun Dorma
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Schizophonic said:

but u have to take a deep dive into her to find out about that... if you just see her public persona most people still would come up with meat dress and weird performances. 

You made me realize I didn’t understand the question lol you’re right, at first sight she doesn’t seem the most relatable star. Although I think her image is now more related to the Oscars 2019 than the meat dress (GP speaking). Her foundation and speeches about kindness, respect, equality etc are points to be considered, it brings her closer to the audience. 

Edited by Nessun Dorma
  • Like 1

Mr S
25 minutes ago, Nessun Dorma said:

You made me realize I didn’t understand the question lol you’re right, at first sight she doesn’t seem the most relatable star. Although I think her image is now more related to the Oscars 2019 than the meat dress (GP speaking). Her foundation and speeches about kindness, respect, equality etc are points to be considered, it brings her closer to the audience. 

It does seem like she made herself somewhat more relatable with Joanne asib and even Chromatica had personal lyrics. But if we are getting weird extra Gaga back, will there be a place for her? I feel like even Beyonce's untouchable image is getting played out, which is why she has tried her hand at relatability to an extent herself

PartySick

She was

The reason I fell for her during Swinefest and the ARTPOP era was because she was so open about her struggles with SA trauma and addiction

When she spoke about herself, she was speaking to me, if that makes sense

It seems she's healed a great deal over the last ten years and I'm so happy for her but I still visibly carry that baggage with me

She grew and got better, I will someday too, then she'll be relatable again

There's no need to be so serious! You're gonna die some day!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

MadArchitect
1 hour ago, Schizophonic said:

but thats relatable to me tho, if i was a popstar with such platform i would've worn a meat dress too to protest DADT and give 0 ****s about what everyone would think, that is my kind of girl right there

Ashley
Posted (edited)

Personally I can relate to her a lot, yes. I don’t see how “weird” Gaga would be a problem though, considering that’s when she was most popular, and had plenty of relatable songs like Alejandro, Lovegame, Dance in the Dark, Telephone, TEOG, even Bad Romance.

Edited by Ashley

Schizophonic

i really wonder what the new album will be lyrically. the fame magazine on the studio pics, prince references, hollywoods a ghost town, tab on my vein... what we know so far sounds like it actually could be about the struggles with stefani vs Gaga or the fame like one of the rumors said. that would might not be a very relatable topic.... but on the other hand she said she let go old topics and motives she carried through her career. and i really hope that doesnt mean she is getting rid of the name. 

• Like 1

Schizophonic

what i was trying to say in my first post... i am not sure if relatable is a necessary thing for her. people want larger than life and escapism from the real world from her obviously.... and with the election coming and several wars in this world.... people might need a world to escape to from time to time. and she can offer that, if she wants to