179 members have voted

1. 1. title.

• Yas!
    • Noooo!
    • Overrated...

Featured Posts

atemybrain
58 minutes ago, Ayden said:

It is a good album, it just took me a little bit of time to get used to the sound. At first, it seemed like a long, boring album with no standaouts, in which all the songs sounded the same. Once i got used to the sound, and started diferentiating the songs from one another, it became an entirely different experience, and i could appreciate it a lot more. It's not a perfect album imo, i think some songs definitely could've been cut out, but overall, I don't think its bad. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was a little disappointed with the album at first because all the songs sounded the same. It’s a very cohesive album. You have to listen a few times to begin to differentiate and appreciate the small details in the songs, which I’m sure a lot of people who completely trash the album didn’t do since they hated it on the first listen. If it’s not your cup of tea :iamfair:, that’s fine, but to say there are absolutely NO good tracks on the album is a total stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anderson123

I think you should listen to it and make your own criteria about it, music is subjective.

Spoiler

But I'll keep in mind that you say Free Woman is Gaga's best song and you don't like Bad Romance and Justin Bieber's Purpose and Nicki's new album are some of the best albums ever made. :icant::heart::runhug:

Edited by Anderson123

Blackout19
2 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

But I'll keep in mind that you say Free Woman is Gaga's best song and you don't like Bad Romance and Justin Bieber's Purpose and Nicki's new album are some of the best albums ever made. :icant::heart::runhug:

i still believe that :hug:

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

I mean had folklore/evermore not been a thing, TTPD would easily be her most critically acclaimed. It’s just that people felt burnt out by the antnoff/desner production. The album is good no doubt about it, it’s just that she raised the bar herself so high that it doesn’t feel like a highlight among her discography, sonically especially. Who knows maybe a few years from now people will appreciate it more. 

• Like 3

King of the Fall
20 minutes ago, Versace said:

I mean had folklore/evermore not been a thing, TTPD would easily be her most critically acclaimed. It’s just that people felt burnt out by the antnoff/desner production. The album is good no doubt about it, it’s just that she raised the bar herself so high that it doesn’t feel like a highlight among her discography, sonically especially. Who knows maybe a few years from now people will appreciate it more. 

I feel like it's time for Taylor to make a sonic shift with whatever she puts out next, the current formula is stale and predictable, she is in danger of approaching Drake territory where she just puts out anything because she knows he is too big to fail

The problem was, she had a little black book and my name was written on every page
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LateToCult said:

The way this is 99% of this site and then there’s me on a random Tuesday morning singing “Say it once again with feeling, how the death rattle breathing silenced as the soul was leaving, the deflation of our dreaming, leaving me bereft and reeling, my beloved ghost and me, sitting in a tree D-Y-I-N-G. :giveup:

Same! But I will agree that there is validity in the feedback about the album feeling monotonous to some. I do think folks miss that this is partially the point. It’s not 1989, reputation, red….. it’s more like evermore overall and somber in tone because she wasn’t exactly stoked. But there are standouts within the first half. If only there was a vinyl of the anthology 😒

• Like 1

I did one full listen (not of the anthology, just the regular 16 tracks) and was only finding myself enjoying the moments where she totally mixed up and did something new. I vaguely remember enjoying a country-ish song? The main problem I had with the album is there isn't much variation in sound, it's all very one note, nothing too dynamic nor risky.

One could say it's risky of her to release a 31 track album and sure, but everyone knows who rabid her fans are for her and will eat it up- which they clearly are still for some reason. But there's nothing lyrically nor sonically that is that interesting to warrant sitting down for two hours listening to this.

I'd rather listen to Cowboy Carter that at least takes DRASTIC changes sonically & lyrically, even though it's still quite long, it's enjoyable and gives you something different every few songs. I could (and would) listen to Brat nearly three times in the time it takes to listen to all 31 tracks of TTPD. 

I also think most people (other than Swifties obvi) are getting tired of the bedroom pop/whisper vocals of the late 2010s/early 2020s and want something big and brash - which is why i think Charli & Chappell are really taking off in a big big way.

People wanna have fun again and that's the absolutely opposite of what this album is.

So is the album good? In my opinion, not really no. I think Taylor needs a break and needs new collaborators. 

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

3 hours ago, King of the Fall said:

I feel like it's time for Taylor to make a sonic shift with whatever she puts out next, the current formula is stale and predictable, she is in danger of approaching Drake territory where she just puts out anything because she knows he is too big to fail

You’re right she needs a drastic sonic shift for her next record, which I recommend should be after a 3 year break at least (if not 4). She has to let go of working with Jack antnoff. There’s only so much a producer can do to sound different each time. I personally want Taylor to release something like Halsey’s If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power. 

• Like 1

Taylucifer

yes but it could have been cut down to be more digestible for the average consumer, it is rather overwhelming to get into as it is so long and lore heavy

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

TTPD could have been an amazing album if Taylor had taken the 30+ tracks she wrote and condensed them into one solid album.  I feel like half of the songs on the main album have no melody or any defining features.  Then, on the Anthology it’s either more of the same or what seem like half-finished ideas.  If it were a single album of like 16 songs I’d be onboard.