Troye Sivan reveals he thought that the UK left Europe’s continent

Teletubby

Featured Posts

sarahb
19 minutes ago, Lukasson said:

Please tell us some of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAustralian/s/i7B8ZNAQIu

Here you go

"My auntie from the uk came over to visit (I’m in Brisbane) then wanted to drive down to Melbourne to see other family members. Could not be convinced that it was pretty far. Kept saying it will be fine (she is the kind of person who wants to stop at every little town for tea etc). Got a phone call ten hours in she was going insane from the big stretches of nothing"

"Yes, I had a French exchange student ask to do day trips to Uluru and Sydney from Adelaide."

"Saw an Italian asking for advice about riding his bike from Perth to Sydney once. In December. He put up a lot of resistance when I tried to point out how likely it is he will die on the nullarbor plain if he tried. He had no idea how sparse that trip is, and how little infrastructure there is in between."

"100%. I had to ring the UK to book something once and she asked where I lived. I said about an hour north of Sydney (100km). She said "oh near Brisbane!". um no - that's about 800km north of me."

"Years ago, friends of the family from England had visitors from the old country come to stay with them in Townsville. They had a ludicrous itinerary, including a 'day trip' to Brisbane, a round trip distance of roughly 2,600 kms"

"I used to work for a camping store and all the time we’d have Europeans assuming they could drive between capital cities in a day."

"When my mum first arrived here from Scotland, her plane came in at Sydney. She then rang her friends in Melbourne and asked them to come pick her up from Sydney airport that afternoon lol"

"My great Aunt and Uncle visited from England and one day said they were going to do a day trip to Melbourne from Sydney that afternoon because it was “only that far on the map!”"

Edited by sarahb

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lukasson

• sarahb

• Hennycomb

• RAMROD

Plastic Flower
15 minutes ago, Varys said:

Lmao no I’m neurodivergent myself and u clearly aswell lol… The poot emoji is there so u should not take this comment seriously 

Yes I am :billie:

15 minutes ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

Now I fully agree that the comment the person made was ignorant

But I don't see the what u mean

Pls explain

I'm just bored tbh 

I'll stop before I get a warning point :poot:

Drop it

LateToCult
4 hours ago, GagaGame said:

I also did think so lmao, I remember they announced something about leaving an  Europe-related thing and I was like omg

From now on the EU shall be know as that “Europe-related thing.” Sorry Europeans. :icant:

• LMAO 2

GagaGame
1 minute ago, LateToCult said:

From now on the EU shall be know as that “Europe-related thing.” Sorry Europeans. :icant:

yes :vegas: sorry to myself

LG7? CANCELLED

RudraCNG

Tbf he's not the first artist that uses that term. I've definitely seen "UK & Europe" for a tour before.

Edited by RudraCNG

Lukasson
25 minutes ago, sarahb said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAustralian/s/i7B8ZNAQIu

Here you go

"My auntie from the uk came over to visit (I’m in Brisbane) then wanted to drive down to Melbourne to see other family members. Could not be convinced that it was pretty far. Kept saying it will be fine (she is the kind of person who wants to stop at every little town for tea etc). Got a phone call ten hours in she was going insane from the big stretches of nothing"

"Yes, I had a French exchange student ask to do day trips to Uluru and Sydney from Adelaide."

"Saw an Italian asking for advice about riding his bike from Perth to Sydney once. In December. He put up a lot of resistance when I tried to point out how likely it is he will die on the nullarbor plain if he tried. He had no idea how sparse that trip is, and how little infrastructure there is in between."

"100%. I had to ring the UK to book something once and she asked where I lived. I said about an hour north of Sydney (100km). She said "oh near Brisbane!". um no - that's about 800km north of me."

"Years ago, friends of the family from England had visitors from the old country come to stay with them in Townsville. They had a ludicrous itinerary, including a 'day trip' to Brisbane, a round trip distance of roughly 2,600 kms"

"I used to work for a camping store and all the time we’d have Europeans assuming they could drive between capital cities in a day."

"When my mum first arrived here from Scotland, her plane came in at Sydney. She then rang her friends in Melbourne and asked them to come pick her up from Sydney airport that afternoon lol"

"My great Aunt and Uncle visited from England and one day said they were going to do a day trip to Melbourne from Sydney that afternoon because it was “only that far on the map!”"

Oh thank you. That‘s very convincing.

RAMROD

I blame European Union abbreviation as EU for the the confusion tbh. Traditionally people would synonimized EU to Euroe the continent, not the government organization. Also, since EU only officially formed and started in 1993, so they need to fix this confusion tbh. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Joshie

I'm British and moved to the U.S. in September last year. I legitimately can not tell you how many times a week I get asked "How did you feel when you left Europe?", yeah we got our oars out HUN and sailed away, we're actually just below Australia now. 

Edited by Joshie
  • LMAO 3

Joshie
1 hour ago, sarahb said:

Europeans can't preach about not knowing basic geography when they got no idea about distances in large countries. No you can't visit the Great Barrier Reef on a day trip from Sydney

Yes my Nanna's friend visiting from the UK thought she could do that :laughga:

I don't think that's fair LOL. A worldmap doesn't really accurately depict size. I drove from Perth to Karajini National Park, and when looking at Google Maps, it looked like I don't know - the drive from London to Edinburgh. Turns out it was triple the distance.

We don't sit there in Geography learning how many kms Sydney to Cairns is lol. But we do learn our continents.

Edited by Joshie

Bronco
37 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

I blame European Union abbreviation as EU for the the confusion tbh. Traditionally people would synonimized EU to Euroe the continent, not the government organization. Also, since EU only officially formed and started in 1993, so they need to fix this confusion tbh. 

It also doesn't help that outside of the UK & EU nations, generally news about the area isn't that common on the common media people consume.

So their main exposure to the whole topic came during the Brexit era exclusively and was led by Political Correspondents. Politicos all over generally just refer to the EU as Europe - so if thats the only time you tune in, you're just going to hear "UK voted to leave Europe" without any context.

• Like 1

Lukasson
16 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Politicos all over generally just refer to the EU as Europe - so if thats the only time you tune in, you're just going to hear "UK voted to leave Europe" without any context.

Who in the world refers to the European Union as Europe? 

One can make up a lot of excuses for being not educated enough.

Cello
49 minutes ago, Joshie said:

I'm British and moved to the U.S. in September last year. I legitimately can not tell you how many times a week I get asked "How did you feel when you left Europe?", yeah we got our oars out HUN and sailed away, we're actually just below Australia now. 

:ladyhaha:

she/her 💗 free my mind

Bronco
8 minutes ago, Lukasson said:

Who in the world refers to the European Union as Europe? 

One can make up a lot of excuses for being not educated enough.

Most Brexiteers.

Lots of UK media.

Lots of US media. 

I've seen Aussie media do it. 

I went to a University with a European Political research centre, we often talked about the UK's relationship (it was pre-Brexit during the UKIP surge) with Europe during seminars.

Its basically the same as when politicos call the USA "Washington", the UK "London" etc. Political nerd shorthand that ends up being miss used in mass media 24 hr news cycles and ends up resulting in poorly educated consumers of the 24hr news media cycle.

• Like 3

Lukasson
2 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Most Brexiteers.

Lots of UK media.

Lots of US media. 

I've seen Aussie media do it. 

I went to a University with a European Political research centre, we often talked about the UK's relationship (it was pre-Brexit during the UKIP surge) with Europe during seminars.

Its basically the same as when politicos call the USA "Washington", the UK "London" etc. Political nerd shorthand that ends up being miss used in mass media 24 hr news cycles and ends up resulting in poorly educated consumers of the 24hr news media cycle.

Ah. I get what you mean.

True! When just consuming bits and pieces of certain media that might happen.

• Like 1

Eggs

Why does this thread have such a weird energy??? Pop star says something forgivably dumb and it's like he's desecrated some of your ancestors

• LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2