Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lana Del Rey says her Bond theme was turned down

Westerosi

Featured Posts

Westerosi

lanaataward.webp

Lana Del Rey says she wrote a James Bond theme in 2015, only to have it rejected by producers.

The Video Games star was speaking backstage at the Ivor Novello Awards in London, where she had just won a special prize celebrating her career and influence.

Asked if she would ever consider writing a Bond theme, she replied: “I mean, how has that not happened?”

She then broke into the chorus of her song 24, from the album Honeymoon, before revealing: “I wrote that for them.”

Given its release date, the song would have been in contention for Daniel Craig's fourth outing as 007, Spectre.

The theme was eventually recorded by Sam Smith, who won an Oscar for their song Writing’s On The Wall.

“Sam, you did a wonderful job,” laughed Del Rey, who said she still hoped to get another shot at the franchise.

“One day, maybe...

“But I'm going to continue to do my little Nancy Sinatra thing every now and then and just pretend it's the title track.”

Pop star Raye, who won songwriter of the year at Thursday's ceremony, was shocked by Del Rey's revelation.

“I can't believe she would have been rejected by them, because she just has the perfect energy for it,” Raye said.

“I feel like she would eat that up – and I feel like that should happen in the future.”

The London-born singer added that she would jump at the chance to create a Bond theme of her own.

“If they ever approached me, I'd roll over backwards, obviously.

“I don't know how those things happen, but it would be my absolute pleasure.”

Source: BBC News

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  • Love 4
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 3

qoqo

I always knew 24 was written for bond. Its cool getting a confirmation

• YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 3

NATAH

highkey WOTW > 24 so i don't blame them for picking that :samanthac:

mother, what must i do?

SS77

I just KNEW that “24” was a Bond song at heart. It’s so satisfying to know it ended up being true wow

• Love 1

Westerosi
43 minutes ago, NATAH said:

highkey WOTW > 24 so i don't blame them for picking that :samanthac:

They have to make the most viable commercial decision at the end of the day.

And tbh I'm so glad they even asked her. It shows she does have critical impact, if even the commercial success is lacking in comparison to MPGs.

Spoiler

lana del rey GIF

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

weed

I am a writing on the wall stan so I love their choice but would have been very exciting. It’s giving Bond/movie theme 

• Love 1

WhiteHotForever

It always has been an open secret that 24 was intended for Spectre.

But I think Rick Nowels kind of confirmed it a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

JessFletch

Here's hoping the next incarnation of 007 goes back to the 60s as a fresh start

(the modern world is now too depressing & cynical even for James Bond)

and that LDR gets another chance 🎶

⚫️
  • YAAAS 1

Simon

Of course. The best song from the best Lana's album should be a Bond theme. 24 has so much space in its instrumentation but also is so vocal driven (I suggest to listen to instrumental version). It's just a piece of art just like whole Honeymoon album. I always knew that but it's cool that LDR said that now.

• Love 1

Red

I think I’d be happier in the alternative universe where Gaga lost an Oscar to Lana instead of Sam

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Westerosi
31 minutes ago, Red said:

I think I’d be happier in the alternative universe where Gaga lost an Oscar to Lana instead of Sam

Fah I Could Live With That GIF by FoilArmsandHog

• LMAO 1

Ziggy

I think with her growing clout she could get asked sooner than later. It makes sense she wasn’t before as she wasn’t really thought highly of, ya know? But she’s REALLY riding high these last few years

• Like 1

holy scheisse

the "there's only 24 hours in a day, and half of those you lay awake, with thoughts of murder and carnage" line makes more sense now:icant:

the way it wasn't a stretch to imagine lana falling in love with a psychopath tho with songs like ultraviolence and serial killer lmao

• LMAO 1

Westerosi
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I think with her growing clout she could get asked sooner than later. It makes sense she wasn’t before as she wasn’t really thought highly of, ya know? But she’s REALLY riding high these last few years

I also thing she's grown and evolved as a songwriter since Honeymoon, and could really bang out an iconic theme for them if asked again.

48 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

the "there's only 24 hours in a day, and half of those you lay awake, with thoughts of murder and carnage" line makes more sense now:icant:

the way it wasn't a stretch to imagine lana falling in love with a psychopath tho with songs like ultraviolence and serial killer lmao

Lana Del Rey GIF