💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

We can’t be friends - meaning analysis

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

holy scheisse

I saw this TikTok where someone was explaining how they think we can’t be friends is not about a lover, but about the public

i didn’t think you’d understand me 
how could you ever even try? 
I don’t wanna tiptoe but I don’t wanna hide 

But I don’t wanna feed this monstrous fire

just wanna let this story die and I’ll be alright 

the public will ever understand what it’s like to be subjected to the kind of attention and scrutiny that comes with fame. And, there’s nothing she can do or say that will make her “win”- there will always be people who will not believe her no matter what she says, the only thing she can do is wait for the obsession to end

we can’t be friends 
but I’d like to just pretend
you cling to your papers and pens 
wait until you like me again
wait for your love 

She knows that eventually the story will pass and the fickleness of the gp will shift back to seeing her in positive regard so for now everyone will write what they want about her, and she’ll just wait til it’s over 

me and my truth we sit in silence 
baby girl it’s just me and you 
cuz I don’t wanna argue but I don’t wanna bite my tongue 
I think I’d rather die 
you got me misunderstood but at least I look this good 

once again, she is sitting with her truth in the story but there’s nothing she can do bc people will claim she’s lying or faking it no matter what story she tells. So while she’s misunderstood and silent, people will continue to consume her image for their entertainment 

Know that you made me
i don’t like how you paint me 
yet I’m still here hanging

The GP made Ariana grande everything she is today. despite how she is being painted by public perception, her career continues on- it won’t end it, cancelling ppl never actually works, she’s just hanging and waiting until she is slowly painted in a different light once again 

so in conclusion.. “yes and?” May be the confident, angry, fed up, protective part of her in this whole situation “be your own fckin best friend”

whereas “we can’t be friends” is the vulnerable, sad part of her that her confident yes and attitude is protecting “we can’t be friends…” 

thanks for reading my paraphrased dissertation— thots? Were you interpreting the meaning in this way already? Is it just about her ex or her new partner? 

Edited by holy scheisse
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Morphine Prince

I always thought it was a double meaning. 

And yeah those two songs are connected! 

Nathaniel Arven

always though that PI was for the public too... 

Versace

But the video feels like it’s addressing her divorce and then you have the song I wish I hated you which kinda continues the narrative.